UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

To those who are doing FINS1613 this semester. Good news is Sean Maloney, the new lecturer in charge has followed Robert Tumarkin's steps with a few changes but I will briefly list the similarities and differences with last year cos why not. The comparison is more directed to those who have knowledge about this subject beforehand but high school leavers feel free to read or at least read the course outline which I have linked below.
https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/Pr...outlines/FINS1613_Business_Finance_S12016.pdf

Similarities:
- In terms of lecturers, Robert Tumarkin will be the first lecturer so he will introduce to you to the course along with financial mathematics which you will definitely enjoy trust me.
- Emma Zhang will retain her position being the second lecturer who will teach Bonds and Equity so good luck with her and this section since it is a difficult section.
- MyFinance will be still be implemented as part of the homework component so be sure to contact Maloney about this and you must purchase it.
- All weightings are identical to last year.
- Cost of Capital will not be assessed in the quizzes.
- Prescribed textbook remains exactly the same as last year so do not buy the textbook used in semester 2 (Dunno why the two semesters need to have different textbooks)

Differences:
- Emma Zhang will now teach investment decision rules which is fairly easy instead of Robert Tumarkin.
- Sean Maloney will take over sections 3 and 4 rather than Robert, Emma and Donald so I don't know if this is a good sign but majority have said he is pretty good and no one can be as bad as Emma and Donald.
- There will be TWO quizzes rather than 3 in 2015 and 4 in 2014. This I believe may make things difficult since the quiz 1 will have the first two sections in it except for investment decisions rules and quiz 2 will have investment decisions rules and capital budgeting which the first quiz in past years was pretty much a free 10% since it only assessed introduction and financial mathematics which is really easy.

This subject is not hard but it is suggested that they will bump up the difficulty like they do every year.
You're a legend, Photastic. Thanks for the insights. Interesting to note that UNSW changed their mind and Anderson is in fact not lecturing.

photastic

HSC

You're a legend, Photastic. Thanks for the insights. Interesting to note that UNSW changed their mind and Anderson is in fact not lecturing.
Or he prob ceebs like always.

drainbammage

HSC

Can someone explain general education to me? I couldn't find anything that explained what it is, only why its important.

D94

HSC
N/A

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad

Can someone explain general education to me? I couldn't find anything that explained what it is, only why its important.
So the government, the uni? thinks it's a good idea for people to be more well-rounded, a jack of all trades, that kind of thing. So for the people doing a degree from a single faculty (as opposed to people doing a double degree that spans across two faculties), they are asked to complete a certain numbers of units of credit of subjects provided by another faculty. So I come from the science faculty, and I did two gen eds (as required by my degree) in my final year of this degree, in the engineering and arts faculties. It's an opportunity to study something that you're interested in but haven't gotten the chance to study yet. Be careful that you don't get course electives and gen eds mixed up. There are gen eds provided by the faculty you are in, but if you take them, they would be considered as course electives and you won't fulfill your gen ed requirement.

Reactions: D94

drainbammage

HSC

D94

HSC
N/A

Can i do anything on that list or only the ones that are in the table under my degree's faculty.
The whole point of general education is that you select courses that are not from your faculty.

You may even select courses that are not on that list, provided you receive approval from your faculty.

BoredNearGrad

HSC
N/A

Man, can't wait to get this show on the road so I just finish off uni and gtfo.

leehuan

HSC

Has this thread mostly been questions or is there actual chit chat going on lol

Flop21

HSC

So I did my ID online. They said they would email me to confirm my pic was okay.

I haven't received an email and it has been ages, like over a week.

Do they even send the email? Should I just go and check if they have mine at the library?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

So I did my ID online. They said they would email me to confirm my pic was okay.

I haven't received an email and it has been ages, like over a week.

Do they even send the email? Should I just go and check if they have mine at the library?
Go to FM assist

Flop21

HSC

Who's going to the o-week roundhouse party?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

who's pumped for starting uni

3rd year all motivation lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)