UNSW chit chat thread

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
To the new faces; Welcome to UNSW !!!!!!!

To the old faces (don't take it personally), welcome back to another year of awesomeness at UNSW !!!!!!!

For those who don't know this thread serves as a general discussion thread for UNSW students. Please keep all the miscellaneous and off-topic conversation here as well as comments/queries/observations that don't warrant a new thread. While posts that would generally be considered spam elsewhere are tolerated in this thread, please note that this is not a substitute for Non-School.

Have an awesome and successful year at UNSW this year, and stay cool !!!!

D94

HSC
N/A
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

Jesus Christ, the price of textbooks
Try getting them second hand. Facebook groups and noticeboards are your best friends.

But make sure they are the edition that you will be using.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad

Or I always checked UNSW library before semester to get onto the textbooks early and renewed the crap out of them.

drainbammage

HSC

Does anyone here drive to uni? How early do i have to get to uni to be able to get an all day parking spot on the side streets?

D94

HSC
N/A

Does anyone here drive to uni? How early do i have to get to uni to be able to get an all day parking spot on the side streets?
7am for the best spots on high st and adjacent roads
8am for barker st and adjacent roads

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

PM if u want some cheap af comm books, may give discount if cag :monkey:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Does anyone actually use textbooks lol

Most of my study came from sources outside the course resources

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Pdf 4 dayz.

Also acct lecture trolld us and made us by a textbook otherwise no access to assessment tasks on the online platform

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah I use textbooks because you could literally skip all lectures and tutes and go off lecture notes, tute questions and textbooks to get you through to good marks.

D94

HSC
N/A

I've had courses where there were open book assessments (i.e. you could bring in the textbook). You were not allowed to bring extra notes though, so printing off PDFs were not allowed.

photastic

HSC

Anyone need FINS1613 textbook for semester 1? Mine is close to perfect condition and cheap :p

leehuan

HSC

How many first year scrubs are with me on this thread?

photastic

HSC

To those who are doing FINS1613 this semester. Good news is Sean Maloney, the new lecturer in charge has followed Robert Tumarkin's steps with a few changes but I will briefly list the similarities and differences with last year cos why not. The comparison is more directed to those who have knowledge about this subject beforehand but high school leavers feel free to read or at least read the course outline which I have linked below.
https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/Pr...outlines/FINS1613_Business_Finance_S12016.pdf

Similarities:
- In terms of lecturers, Robert Tumarkin will be the first lecturer so he will introduce to you to the course along with financial mathematics which you will definitely enjoy trust me.
- Emma Zhang will retain her position being the second lecturer who will teach Bonds and Equity so good luck with her and this section since it is a difficult section.
- MyFinance will still be implemented as part of the homework component so be sure to contact Maloney about this and you may or may not purchase it.
- All weightings are identical to last year.
- Cost of Capital will not be assessed in the quizzes.
- Prescribed textbook remains exactly the same as last year so do not buy the textbook used in semester 2 (Dunno why the two semesters need to have different textbooks)

Differences:
- Emma Zhang will now teach investment decision rules which is fairly easy instead of Robert Tumarkin.
- Sean Maloney will take over sections 3 and 4 rather than Robert, Emma and Donald so I don't know if this is a good sign but majority have said he is pretty good and no one can be as bad as Emma and Donald.
- There will be TWO quizzes rather than 3 in 2015 and 4 in 2014. This I believe may make things difficult since the quiz 1 will have the first two sections in it except for investment decisions rules and quiz 2 will have investment decisions rules and capital budgeting which the first quiz in past years was pretty much a free 10% since it only assessed introduction and financial mathematics which is really easy.

This subject is not hard but it is suggested that they will bump up the difficulty like they do every year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)