UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

Pretty sure you can-but it depends on what type of job it is to determine what kind of value it can add to your resume.
Yeah but I'm more wondering what's the point of volunteering. Why would I work for people for free. I know that sounds bad but lol still wondering.

Flop21

HSC

BTW to everyone who forwards their emails...

The system move has removed the forwarding settings you had previously, so you need to put the forwarding email in again to start forwarding the emails again.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

When schools ask you to do things for free, i.e. volunteer, is this a good thing? Like, can I put this on a resume or linked in?
what are you studying at uni? try and get some relevant stuff on your resume if possible

So like, I volunteered for Girls Do The Maths

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I tried-same thing happen-sigh...technology

Yeah but I'm more wondering what's the point of volunteering. Why would I work for people for free. I know that sounds bad but lol still wondering.
Because there are causes that are worth caring about beyond just monetary value. If one pursues things simply for money or always thinking what they could get back, they could end up living a very unhappy life. Maybe one day when you try to volunteer, you might understand why. It is not always what you can get, but what you can give back instead.

Flop21

HSC

Because there are causes that are worth caring about beyond just monetary value. If one pursues things simply for money or always thinking what they could get back, they could end up living a very unhappy life. Maybe one day when you try to volunteer, you might understand why. It is not always what you can get, but what you can give back instead.
I know what you're saying,

But there's plenty of 'volunteer' positions at uni that really involve giving back to the uni itself, and not in the traditional sense you're talking about 'giving back' to society or the disadvantaged. Like volunteering for an event run by UNSW. Or making course materials, or promotional materials for a school.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Of course you did.
Yeah it was great - I'm usually involved in other outreach programs which don't give me the chance to talk to the people, it's more "here's your seminar", but this one was nice because I got to chat to peeps at lunch

Some of them were really cool and super enthusiastic (a school I talked to legit caught a 5:40am train to get to the event) which is nice to see

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

But there's plenty of 'volunteer' positions at uni that really involve giving back to the uni itself, and not in the traditional sense you're talking about 'giving back' to society or the disadvantaged. Like volunteering for an event run by UNSW. Or making course materials, or promotional materials for a school.
I haven't said 'giving back' necessarily means to society or disadvantaged, giving back to uni is still giving back (notice I didn't specify what the institution or cause you should 'give back' to). Giving back to uni is not any less valid than other forms of volunteering, but by the sounds of it, you shouldn't volunteer for now (because you are lacking passion for the cause and to just volunteer for the sake of resume building-you might suffer rather than enjoy the process). Perhaps later when you see the value of volunteering, then you should-which is perfectly find as well.

Flop21

HSC

I haven't said 'giving back' necessarily means to society or disadvantaged, giving back to uni is still giving back (notice I didn't specify what the institution or cause you should 'give back' to). Giving back to uni is not any less valid than other forms of volunteering, but by the sounds of it, you shouldn't volunteer for now (because you are lacking passion for the cause and to just volunteer for the sake of resume building-you might suffer rather than enjoy the process). Perhaps later when you see the value of volunteering, then you should-which is perfectly find as well.
EDIT: And I do enjoy volunteering on things I feel that feel genuine. Like teaching STEM stuff to people and kids, those societies are great.

I also hate wasting time.

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad

Just chiming in about the volunteer topic. Often you gain more out of volunteering when you just do it and not when you constantly seek out what you have to gain. Sometimes what you gain is not apparent until you actually volunteer. I will leave it at that.

D94

HSC
N/A

Can you link or give a specific example of what you are talking about (at UNSW)? Is it advertised anywhere?

Occupied

HSC
N/A

I think that's abusing the term volunteer. I think it's BS getting people to work for free.

You're exploiting people if you're taking advantage of their 'passion' and getting them to work for free IMO.

So therefore, I REALLY don't see anything wrong with looking for what I would get out of it other than money. Otherwise you're simply being used and wasting your time.

-

But for a legit, good, non-profit cause... then that's truly volunteering.

-

But yeah I think we've gone off track here. I was really looking for some other reasons for volunteering around uni other than "you'll feel good about yourself, yay!".

EDIT: And I do enjoy volunteering on things I feel that feel genuine. Like teaching STEM stuff to people and kids, those societies are great.
I'm with strawberrye. tbh i think that really comes down to what you think ur time is worth. i.e, I wouldn't call volunteering for x, y, and z a waste of time if I get a good experience out of it b/c I don't consider monetary gain to be the only thing worth using my time for. I mean, either way ur helping people. e.g, u might not be teaching kids about STEM subjects, but perhaps if u volunteer with a school, instead you'll be able to help an indecisive student with subject selection etc. ur actions might seem insignificant to u, but maybe it's a big deal to someone else.

in terms of volunteering reasons, i think the point strawberrye was also trying to say is that volunteering allows individuals to step outside their comfort zone + be involved in something ur passionate about. u'll feel good about urself, but the main thing is to commit in some way to something that you think is worthwhile. e.g u might not think volunteering for a school is worth ur time and that's fine, but someone else might disagree. To say they're being exploited is abit extreme.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

I think that's abusing the term volunteer. I think it's BS getting people to work for free.

You're exploiting people if you're taking advantage of their 'passion' and getting them to work for free IMO.

So therefore, I REALLY don't see anything wrong with looking for what I would get out of it other than money. Otherwise you're simply being used and wasting your time.

-

But for a legit, good, non-profit cause... then that's truly volunteering.

-

But yeah I think we've gone off track here. I was really looking for some other reasons for volunteering around uni other than "you'll feel good about yourself, yay!".

is such a shame to have a decent resume now u need to do "volunteering" such as arc etc, should be brought back into focus with traditional volunteer work, but alas BSOC members needs to circlejerk over something

Flop21

HSC

I'm with strawberrye. tbh i think that really comes down to what you think ur time is worth. i.e, I wouldn't call volunteering for x, y, and z a waste of time if I get a good experience out of it b/c I don't consider monetary gain to be the only thing worth using my time for.
forget it

hate pointless stuff that wastes my time when I could be doing something better

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

Looks okay? the bottom clearly says what you get out of it.

I wouldn't be doing it though.
Ok, but are those things really that useful to you (as in to a student)?

How about when you go for job interviews and they ask about your organisational and planning skills? This would be an excellent example of it. That's the real benefit for you, not some certificate and letter...no one cares about that, no one reads letters of recommendations.

Flop21

HSC

Ok, but are those things really that useful to you (as in to a student)?

How about when you go for job interviews and they ask about your organisational and planning skills? This would be an excellent example of it. That's the real benefit for you, not some certificate and letter...no one cares about that, no one reads letters of recommendations.
oh okay true

Web Addict

HSC

Do you guys know how to turn on emails for Moodle Announcements/News? For some reason, I haven't been getting those important emails from the course convenors, even though it seems like everyone else in the course gets them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)