UNSW chit chat thread (2 Viewers)

Jakulore

HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2017

Question, how do I see a book's "Call Number" hen looking in the UNSW Library website?

D94

HSC
N/A

Question, how do I see a book's "Call Number" hen looking in the UNSW Library website?
Next to "Available at" or in the "Get It" tab. In this example, you would go to Level 7 of the Main Library, and find the shelf row with 621.

Note there is also the High Use Collection section of the Main Library, and the Law Library. Different locations for different books.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

Why do the labs have to be partner work for COMP1511? I can finish it all on my own in about 10 minutes right now sob

Jakulore

HSC

Next to "Available at" or in the "Get It" tab. In this example, you would go to Level 7 of the Main Library, and find the shelf row with 621.

Note there is also the High Use Collection section of the Main Library, and the Law Library. Different locations for different books.
Thank you very much!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Why do the labs have to be partner work for COMP1511? I can finish it all on my own in about 10 minutes right now sob
Partners in the weekly labs? wtf

Not just for assignments?

akkatracker

HSC

What should I expect in the ENGG1000 impromptu design reflection task?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Cos u don't get a say in the real world

What should I expect in the ENGG1000 impromptu design reflection task?
a whole lotta bs

jk

i haven't done the subject but i'm probably right

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

Cos u don't get a say in the real world
I appreciate that it's trying to get you used to working with other people, but when the exercise doesn't require thinking and has a 4 line solution, I don't see how it's much of "working together" and not just "one person does all the (1 min of) work"

turntaker

HSC

I appreciate that it's trying to get you used to working with other people, but when the exercise doesn't require thinking and has a 4 line solution, I don't see how it's much of "working together" and not just "one person does all the (1 min of) work"
It's meant to be a complete beginner course that assumes 0 knowledge of programming

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

It's meant to be a complete beginner course that assumes 0 knowledge of programming
I get that, and I don't want to hinder my partner's learning - that's something that's important to me. However, the fact that these exercises are graded and contribute to a part of my final mark (albeit a small part), means that I don't intend on submitting anything that isn't as perfect as it can be, which, largely due to the wide gap of experience could often end up being mostly my work, if not all.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

I get that, and I don't want to hinder my partner's learning - that's something that's important to me. However, the fact that these exercises are graded and contribute to a part of my final mark (albeit a small part), means that I don't intend on submitting anything that isn't as perfect as it can be, which, largely due to the wide gap of experience could often end up being mostly my work, if not all.
can you choose partners?

When I did Higher Computing 1, I became partners with someone who already knew programming - and to consider your last point, the only reason that the stuff we submitted together was mostly his work was because I was still learning coding style, and his stuff was often neater

but mine was better commented, so I'd put in the comments, and he'd put in the style

With that said, we both did the assignments and labs separately, and then when it came to submit, we'd just combine ours

akkatracker

HSC

can you choose partners?

When I did Higher Computing 1, I became partners with someone who already knew programming - and to consider your last point, the only reason that the stuff we submitted together was mostly his work was because I was still learning coding style, and his stuff was often neater

but mine was better commented, so I'd put in the comments, and he'd put in the style

With that said, we both did the assignments and labs separately, and then when it came to submit, we'd just combine ours
Hard to choose when it's the first lab and half the people are going around "hey how many languages do you know", then you watch them proceed to open up Python IDLE and write a program that infinite loops "hey" and act like they're a coding ninja. /rant

Seriously though, it's incredibly hard to judge someone's knowledge in the first lab - on a side note my lab at least didn't get to choose- basically was who you sat next to. Hopefully they're not a deadweight

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Hard to choose when it's the first lab and half the people are going around "hey how many languages do you know", then you watch them proceed to open up Python IDLE and write a program that infinite loops "hey" and act like they're a coding ninja. /rant

Seriously though, it's incredibly hard to judge someone's knowledge in the first lab - on a side note my lab at least didn't get to choose- basically was who you sat next to. Hopefully they're not a deadweight
hmmm yeah that's true

Well, maybe for Computing 2 next semester then!

turntaker

HSC

i can feel the cringe already.

akkatracker

HSC

i can feel the cringe already.
Sad thing is I'm not even joking - a friend pm'd me from a his lab (I think) at the same time reporting similar.

For those who've studied computer science the whole way (I'm a EE student so won't get to experience their 'development'), do these people exist the whole way through CS (all the way to Advanced Operating Systems lol)? Or are they quickly weeded out or become more "normal"

Last edited:

sourmilk

HSC

theres such a lack of art subs banter so here i am ready to contribute

im taking arts1030 rn and jesus crust i could smell the sea of pretentiousness 10 minutes into the lecture..... fr people were just regurgitating what the lecturer was saying and marinating it with their extensive vocab like wthf we geddit.... we're all doing english n shit here pal /rant

also i cant access echo????? does anybody know how to fix im on a mac air and whenever i click echo360 it goes grey with a sad pixel paper looking at me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)