UNSW Crim 1 & 2 - Difference? (1 Viewer)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
UNSW is the one of the only unis that has divided criminal law into 2 parts- crim1 and crim2

whats the difference between them?

before i was a unsw i got hold of crim 1 notes from the unsw webct (i didnt need to log in) and it was all about what is a crime and the lindy chamberlain case

the thing is that i did crim at uts and got 75 in it. which should i choose? i can choose one and forget the other (i think)

technically ive done crim2 but crim1 seems like the "hey-how-ya-goin" "wishy-washy" kinda course.... and i understand that DAvid brown is the lecturer there? which does make it more appealing...

thanks for the help

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: UNSW crim 1 and crim 2

Crim 1 covers much more of the social aspects, theories and issues of crime. It does involve substantive law, but not a great deal. The substantive law that it does include is interwoven with the themes and issues discussed. Though some tend to prefer black letter law (like myself), I cannot deny the usefulness and value of the course.

Crim 2 covers much more substantive law, including all the big issues like murder, rape, assault, defences, sentencing, etc. The reading for this part is heavier.

David Brown, who as you know co-wrote the Crim textbook, teaches both courses. He is a very knowledgeable and friendly teacher. Irene Nemes and Alex Steel are also great lecturers who teach Crim 1 and Crim 2, respectively.

They have two courses to cover the social aspect of crime in a lot more detail, which leaves plenty of room for a full and detailed look at the substantive law in Crim 2. If you could only choose one to take, Crim 2 is obviously more beneficial and practical. However, if you only have one Crim course at UTS, then you would probably already have done much or all of the content of our Crim 2. Hence if you have to take one of our Crim courses, you might opt for Crim 1.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Additionally, you may like to look over last year's reading guides for Crim 1 and Crim 2 in order to see what areas are covered.

mr EaZy

HSC

thanks moonlight sonata :)

i just got confirmation on my exemptions- i got both crim1 and crim2 exempted-i was hoping to do crim 1 to improve my "research skills" (even though i dont feel like a court report this sem)... but im sure ill get my skills elsehwhere.

other courses i got exempted are:

LAw lawyers and society (from business law and ethics)
crim 1&2 (from crim)
leg foundations (Legal process/hist aka LPH)
public law (LPH + Legal research)
financial mgm (Accounting for biz)
micro econ (Econ for biz)
management and organisation (managing ppl for orgs)

all up i get 45 cr points not bad considering i only did 44 cr pts at uts- it works out better than i planned ( i expected 37 cr pts) - but im hoping i wont be disadvantaged because biz law +ethics i dont think meets the criteria of this subject: law lawyers and society

This course is a course in applied legal ethics. It examines the different values, rules and regulation that affect legal practice. Students will (1) learn to identify the values, rules and norms that lawyers should apply in practice; (2) judge what roles lawyers do play in society and the justice system, and what roles lawyers ought to play; (3) identify and begin to develop the skills necessary for ethical practice. The course considers the lawyer-client relationship, the regulatory framework governing legal practice including the role of self-regulation, the role of lawyers as advocates including the responsibility of lawyers for access to justice and the special duties and roles of the criminal defence lawyer, the prosecutor, and the public interest lawyer.
it does to a certain extent but not fully. but what do i care- i got the exemptions and im getting away with it. :)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC

Crim 1 tends to polarise people. Some feel that it is tedious and useless. Others really enjoy it (I did).

If you take the view that you go to law school to learn black letter law and black letter law only then you might not enjoy criminal law 1. Personally I found that it provided an essential context in which to study the substantive law in session 2 (Note you do study substantive law in first session just not as much as you do in 2nd session). Most importantly Crim 1 forces people, maybe against their will, to think really hard about the social role of crime and the criminal justice system. Anyone that is remotely interested in this will find the Orange book very interesting.

Last edited:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC

erawamai said:
Anyone that is remotely interested in this will find the Orange book very interesting.
Is this the Brown et al text ... ? I like the capitalisation of the attributive adjective: it's rather like the Bible, isn't it? The Alpha and the Omega, which is, which was and which is to come, as it were. But I think they took the 'Bible' metaphor a little too literally when they decided to print the whole text on that tissuey paper ...

mr EaZy

HSC

ManlyChief said:
Is this the Brown et al text ... ? I like the capitalisation of the attributive adjective: it's rather like the Bible, isn't it? The Alpha and the Omega, which is, which was and which is to come, as it were. But I think they took the 'Bible' metaphor a little too literally when they decided to print the whole text on that tissuey paper ...

lol
i was at the book store and this was before i had done any study in law so i was looking for the orange book... and flipping through it i was like:

"what the hell? no way im reading this! get stuffed!" and walked out- i dont have to do either but i might wanna do crim 1 just for fun thanks to eramwai

looks like i will be buying that book after all

mr EaZy

HSC

but i understand that crim 1 is an easrly birds course
its designed to teach
research skills and policy- lateral thinking stuff and wat erawamai said
but surely if i miss it- i will gain these skills in other courses right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)