UNSW Gateway???? lol (1 Viewer)

iflyjl

HSC
Hi!

So I've just realised now that such thing exists? lol and so I'm just curious like how the whole thing works n like if any past graduates have actually been accepted to this program and if its rlly hard to be accepted and like for the answers, how should I answer them? Like i'm kinda intrigued because they don't ask for any marks or any whatsoever, so like e.g. what happens if like im last in my whole cohort and wanna do like ummm law?? and my answers r all like rlly good n i somehow get accepted, like is that even possible??????

Sorry if i dont make at all, it's just confusing imo

Cheers! :):)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Like i'm kinda intrigued because they don't ask for any marks or any whatsoever, so like e.g. what happens if like im last in my whole cohort and wanna do like ummm law?? and my answers r all like rlly good n i somehow get accepted, like is that even possible??????
UNSW's Gateway Admission Pathway is administered through the UAC Schools Recommendation Scheme (SRS), meaning information considered by UNSW that is relevant to your application includes:
  • your Year 11 studies
  • your school’s rating of your abilities in different areas of study
  • your school’s rating of your aptitudes
  • your Educational Access Schemes (EAS) application (if applicable)
  • institution-specific documents (if applicable).
Being ranked in the lower range of your cohort may impact how your school rates your abilities. The effect a low ranking has on your application may likely be negative, as a low rank is generally not likely to be perceived positively by your school, which in turn affects how your own school rates you. This is a very important thing to consider, particularly if you are applying for a degree like a Bachelor of Laws. However, this doesn't necessarily mean there's no chance you can receive an offer for your desired course, particularly if your school recognises that you are putting in effort and doing your best in your studies to perform well. If that's the case, I think you would definitely have a chance.

I hope this helps! 😄

quickoats

HSC
UNSW gateway was introduced last year so there probably isn’t a lot of anecdotes about it. As far as I’m aware, it isn’t an unconditional offer like some other unis, but rather a conditional offer contingent on a lower ATAR requirement than usual. This makes me think that they’ll assess your disadvantage and application and offer the course at a lower ATAR if they deem you satisfactory for entry, rather than be “wowed” at your application and give you an offer, like UoW etc.

Never hurts in applying.

kingdankoso

HSC
Quick question for Gateway and the recommendation scheme that schools conduct. So lets say you're Year 11 marks were pretty okay (like not rank 1 every subject but like cumulative top 5-15, but you have shown you have put in a ton of efforts in your studies during year 11 and 12. Would that mean that teachers would give you a better rating based on your efforts compared to a student whos receiving top top ranks but it doesn't seem like they're applying themselves as much during school? Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Quick question for Gateway and the recommendation scheme that schools conduct. So lets say you're Year 11 marks were pretty okay (like not rank 1 every subject but like cumulative top 5-15, but you have shown you have put in a ton of efforts in your studies during year 11 and 12. Would that mean that teachers would give you a better rating based on your efforts compared to a student whos receiving top top ranks but it doesn't seem like they're applying themselves as much during school? Thanks
I would say it depends because it is based on a number of factors. While your sustained efforts may be taken into consideration and thus constitute a positive component of your application despite not having achieved top marks/ranks, a student who has been performing well throughout the year with favourable ranks is also likely to be perceived by teachers as having put in a lot of effort, which would make sense because top marks/ranks generally require a lot of determination and effort throughout the academic year. Since your year 11 marks are considered as part of this scheme, they remain an important component, meaning that an academically capable student can therefore capitalise on this to improve the quality of their application.

kingdankoso

HSC
For UNSW Gateway, they generally have a look at the subjects that tend to the degree, according to this on the UAC website:

UNSW will consider:

• institution-specific documents (your personal statement and a portfolio for some courses)
  • Year 11 studies and specific performance in subjects that are relevant to your chosen course
  • school ratings
  • eligibility for the Gateway scheme based on either attending a Gateway school or eligibility through UAC Educational Access Schemes (EAS) for Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA).

Lets say for example, I applied for an Engineering degree for Gateway and I was doing Economics in Year 11. If you would have higher ranks in Phys, Chem, Engineering (all basically top 5) ranks for me, compared to Economics (I was like 10th or something), they would take into consideration those subjects rather than Economics, correct? However, in all honesty, I am not going to worry about this because I am going to try my best regardless of the circumstances and I shouldn't be relying too heavily on Gateway to achieve the course I would like to achieve, but I 100% understand what you are trying to put forward. Personally, I had some private concerns which caused my marks to plummet during Year 11 so hopefully it all works out in the end! Thank you for the reply!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
For UNSW Gateway, they generally have a look at the subjects that tend to the degree, according to this on the UAC website:

UNSW will consider:
  • institution-specific documents (your personal statement and a portfolio for some courses)
  • Year 11 studies and specific performance in subjects that are relevant to your chosen course
  • school ratings
  • eligibility for the Gateway scheme based on either attending a Gateway school or eligibility through UAC Educational Access Schemes (EAS) for Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA).
Lets say for example, I applied for an Engineering degree for Gateway and I was doing Economics in Year 11. If you would have higher ranks in Phys, Chem, Engineering (all basically top 5) ranks for me, compared to Economics (I was like 10th or something), they would take into consideration those subjects rather than Economics, correct? However, in all honesty, I am not going to worry about this because I am going to try my best regardless of the circumstances and I shouldn't be relying too heavily on Gateway to achieve the course I would like to achieve, but I 100% understand what you are trying to put forward. Personally, I had some private concerns which caused my marks to plummet during Year 11 so hopefully it all works out in the end! Thank you for the reply!
No worries! You definitely have the right mindset and are willing to adopt the correct approach with respect to maximising your chances of receiving an offer to study your chosen degree, which is great! To answer your question, yes, subjects that are relevant to the area of study of the degree will likely be emphasised, especially if your position in those subjects is superior to that in other subjects that are not relevant to the area of study of your chosen degree.

Best of luck! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)