UNSW SRS (1 Viewer)

mikrokosmos

HSC
Hi guys

So, I'm trying to apply for UNSW via SRS, but I have a question.

I am not part of a gateway school, so does that mean I cannot apply to UNSW? Silly question but I just need clarification. I'm asking because criteria for UNSW is:

UNSW Sydney requirementsYou must satisfy the following requirements:
  1. Complete the HSC at a school in NSW in the year of application.
  2. Receive an ATAR rank in the year of application.
  3. Either:
attend a Gateway School

OR

be eligible through the UAC Educational Access Scheme (EAS) for Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA). Note: This EAS application will be automatically generated for you through UAC based on your home address and you will be notified by email of your eligibility.
Selection criteriaUNSW will consider:
  • institution-specific documents (your personal statement and a portfolio for some courses)
  • Year 11 studies and specific performance in subjects that are relevant to your chosen course
  • school ratings
  • eligibility for the Gateway scheme based on either attending a Gateway school or eligibility through UAC Educational Access Schemes (EAS) for Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA).

whereas for MQU, it is:

Macquarie requirementsNone.
Selection criteriaMacquarie will take into account:
  • Year 11 studies
  • school ratings.

Thank you guys!!

quickoats

HSC
UNSW does not have an SRS pathway for all students, whereas MQ is open for all students. They are 2 different early entry programs so there is no reason why they'd be operating in the same manner.

mikrokosmos

HSC
So if i'm not in a gateway school i can't apply for unsw srs?

quickoats

HSC
Why not for all students? Isn’t that unfair
Nup! Nobody has an entitlement to an early entry spot tbh. Macquarie believes that their scheme allows admission for students whose ATAR may not be the best indicator for success, and UNSW uses their scheme to target disadvantaged students whose ATAR may not be reflective of their capabilities due to their socioeconomic circumstances.

It’s ridiculous to think that schemes designed to alleviate inequalities are unfair.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
It's literally a pathway for the disadvantaged lol. That's like being in the hospital and your next in line. Then a person comes in with an amputated arm and needs emergency but you go "hey I was here first" get in line. Some people need this gateway scheme more than others is basically the analogy. *bad analogy but whatever.

specificagent1

HSC
like people say it's to target the disadvantage. what's unfair is that people have to go through these circumstances during their hsc or perhaps their whole schooling and expected to compete against other people that are in better positions. If you label this as unfair you might as well say EAS is unfair too and that's ridiculous

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
To give a counter perspective:

Everyone's going through the same circumstance with the COVID-19 lockdown so therefore the general populus without the conventional disadvantages such as mental health or rural learning would be dealing with the same issue so the ATAR should be an equal playing field.

This is perhaps their logic.

specificagent1

HSC
To give a counter perspective and possibly their logic:

Everyone's going through the same circumstance with the COVID-19 lockdown so therefore the general populus without the conventional disadvantages such as mental health or rural learning would be dealing with the same issue so the ATAR should be an equal playing field.
um how about these categories:

• The student attended three or more different secondary schools during Years 10, 11 and 12
  • The student (whose first language is English) moved to Australia after the beginning of Year 11
  • The student moved interstate after the start of Year 11
  • The student is receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY
  • The student is receiving other Centrelink means-tested benefits
  • The student is experiencing exceptional financial hardship
  • The student's parent(s)/guardian(s) received Family Tax Benefit Part A during Year 11 and/or Year 12 (or equivalent).
  • Death of an immediate family member/close friend
  • Life-threatening/severe illness of an immediate family member/close friend
  • Divorce or separation of parents or applicant
  • Criminal/legal matters for offences not committed by the applicant
  • The student, their parents, or any of their siblings have experienced severe abuse for a period of at least six months during Year 11 and/or 12 (or equivalent).
  • The student experienced was affected by a natural disaster.
  • The student has excessive responsibility for the care of children/other family members
  • The student is equired to work to support their family or themselves.
  • The student has had excessive responsibility for the care of themselves, while living independently, with no family/partner support, for a period of at least six months during Year 11 and/or Year 12 or equivalent.
  • ESL student/started school in Australia in Year 11 or Year 12
  • ESL student/started school in Australia in Years 7 to 10
  • ESL student/entered Australia in 2017 or later
  • The student suffers from a disability or a long-term medical condition
  • Refugee status: The student is, or has previously been, the holder of an Australian refugee visa.
  • The residential address you entered in the student's UAC undergraduate application is identified by the Australian Bureau of Statistics as being in the lowest 25% of socio-economic disadvantage in Australia.
  • The student is studying one or more year 12 subjects through distance education or an access program

and as you said there's covid issues, let's compound these with covid 19 issues. So as you said non disadvantaged students are already disadvantaged because of covid19, how about people that already were disadvantaged? do they now become disadvantaged disadvantaged students? plus covid 19 disproportionately affects some people:

• The student's parent(s)/guardian(s) received JobKeeper payments and/or COVID-19 Disaster Payments for at least three months during the student's Year 11 and/or Year 12 (or equivalent) studies.
  • The student's parent(s)/guardian(s) received the JobSeeker allowance for a period of at least three months from March 2020 onwards.

quickoats

HSC
To give a counter perspective:

This is perhaps their logic.
Have you thought about how COVID could be compounding on top of their own disadvantages?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Have you thought about how COVID could be compounding on top of their own disadvantages?
I'm not agreeing with that perspective, I personally think that universities should be giving way more leniency in their early entry requirements. I'm just trying to think of why they're not doing it.

quickoats

HSC
I'm not agreeing with that perspective, I personally think that universities should be giving way more leniency in their early entry requirements. I'm just trying to think of why they're not doing it.
As I said before, I honestly don't think early entry should be viewed as an entitlement. There will be considerations put in place for all students in the traditional offer rounds with COVID in mind.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
As I said before, I honestly don't think early entry should be viewed as an entitlement. There will be considerations put in place for all students in the traditional offer rounds with COVID in mind.
I agree with that, COVID's been extremely rough on everyone and I can't imagine how stressful it has been for Year 12. I'm just trying to find a logical reason why universities like UNSW are still treating it like a special offer under these circumstances. Forgive me if you've been thinking I'm advocating for their choice to still treat it as an entitlement, my original post was just the only form of logic I could think of for not making it for all. And due to COVID, there's no international students so there should be more vacant seats.

quickoats

HSC
I agree with that, COVID's been extremely rough on everyone and I can't imagine how stressful it has been for Year 12. I'm just trying to find a logical reason why universities like UNSW are still treating it like a special offer under these circumstances.
Their special offer comes with lenience applied for most degrees at the traditional offer round stage.

specificagent1

HSC
I agree with that, COVID's been extremely rough on everyone and I can't imagine how stressful it has been for Year 12. I'm just trying to find a logical reason why universities like UNSW are still treating it like a special offer under these circumstances.
because they gotta do some equity things for the govt and covid aint one of them

quickoats

HSC

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyways, anyone else hungry? I think imma get some pizza.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)