use of crime fiction critics? (1 Viewer)

naomilouise91

HSC
My teacher has never mentioned using critics opinions and theories in the essay but a friend of mine said her teachers say it's vital in getting good marks?

Can anyone help me out here?
People who've done the exam....do you need critics opinions?
If so, any resources would be greatly appreciated.

:worried::confused:

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
Well, I don't do crime fiction, so I can't think of any crime fiction theorists off the top of my head, but maybe you can get away with genre theorists? Unfortunately, I've been focusing very hard on advanced, so I also can't think of many genre theorists off the top of my head, but the one that comes to mind is Carol Laseur, but that's because that's the first one I used in my essay. Sorry if I wasn't more helpful =/

laurennn91

HSC
yeah our teacher said that it is pretty important - having genre theorists and crime fiction critics to back up your points makes your essay look a lot better.

here are a few i'm using:
Carol Laseur
Graeme Blundell
Janne Schill
Nicholas Abercrombie

and there are a lot more but i can't think of them off the top of my head...

metalheaven

HSC
Also another fancy little trick you can do is find some quotes from one of the composers of your texts. For example I've got a quote from Raymond Chandler for the Big Sleep. Critical quotations are still important, but if you're running short on them, it's usually not too hard to find qutoes from composers.
Good luck :)

courtneyy

Lover of the HSC
HSC
laurennn91 said:
yeah our teacher said that it is pretty important - having genre theorists and crime fiction critics to back up your points makes your essay look a lot better.
But how would you encorporate them into the essay? My teacher has never mentioned this

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
courtneyy said:
But how would you encorporate them into the essay? My teacher has never mentioned this
The best way to incorporate critics within essay material is to use them as evidance to support the point you are making. For example, (i will use the text Cloudstreet) water is a significant element which purifies and cleanses and is the spiritual realm for Winton's characters as so so also note that "quote"

Hope that helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)