USYD Maths Prerequisite???? (1 Viewer)

XSnoorix

HSC
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I want to try to apply for studying commerce in USYD through SRS. The problem is that I don't exactly have the maths prerequisite as I did standard maths and not advanced. Is there an alternate pathway of getting into a course with a math prerequisite rather than switching degrees after the first year? Thanks

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I want to try to apply for studying commerce in USYD through SRS. The problem is that I don't exactly have the maths prerequisite as I did standard maths and not advanced. Is there an alternate pathway of getting into a course with a math prerequisite rather than switching degrees after the first year? Thanks
Try UNSW no prereqs.

quickoats

HSC
You would need to undertake the required study to bypass the maths prerequisite in first year uni. This is NOT a bridging course but some sort of full course e.g. MATH1011 at unsw. At USyd, you would only have access to a Bachelor of Arts, and you’ll need to keep up decent marks to make the transfer possible. The uncertainty is not worth it. You’d rather attend a different university with the guarantee of studying commerce.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In addition to the above, you can complete the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) for mathematics (Introduction to Calculus) and the post-MOOC exam (starting today) with the required grades. You will receive a certificate upon successful completion and the course costs $66. USyd states:

Students who successfully complete both the MOOC and post-MOOC examination will be eligible for an offer of admission to courses with mathematics prerequisites if they also meet the ATAR (or equivalent) and other applicable admission criteria.

It is fully online and has the benefit of a flexible schedule.

I hope this helps! :D

dasfas

HSC
In addition to the above, you can complete the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) for mathematics (Introduction to Calculus) and the post-MOOC exam (starting today) with the required grades. You will receive a certificate upon successful completion and the course costs $66. USyd states:

Students who successfully complete both the MOOC and post-MOOC examination will be eligible for an offer of admission to courses with mathematics prerequisites if they also meet the ATAR (or equivalent) and other applicable admission criteria.

This is the best and cheapest way. While Commerce does not have complicated maths, you will need a basic understanding and you will struggle without the basic tools of calculus eg. differentiation, integration

sab13562

HSC
I have the same problem for the exact same course. I saw MOOC as an option but I don't really have the time to do it, so I decided to go to another uni (most of them let you have a maths elective to cover up for the missing knowledge)

5uckerberg

HSC

How long does MOOC last? Six hours or what?

TheVuk

HSC
You would need to undertake the required study to bypass the maths prerequisite in first year uni. This is NOT a bridging course but some sort of full course e.g. MATH1011 at unsw. At USyd, you would only have access to a Bachelor of Arts, and you’ll need to keep up decent marks to make the transfer possible. The uncertainty is not worth it. You’d rather attend a different university with the guarantee of studying commerce.
You can do other courses not just art

Hiheyhello

HSC

Hey Jimmy, I know that this is an older thread, but I was wondering if you know when MOOC starts (so that I can be eligible for a 2022 USYD maths pre-requisite), and the latest date that I can start and enroll?

Hiheyhello

HSC
Hey Jimmy, I know that this is an older thread, but I was wondering if you know when MOOC starts (so that I can be eligible for a 2022 USYD maths pre-requisite), and the latest date that I can start and enroll?
Okay, so I just realised that one of the deadlines is:
  • Tuesday 25 January 2022
    Registration deadline: Tuesday 21 December 2021
Basically I don't know whether I should enrol before I receive my ATAR - I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to get into the course I want to, but am worried that it might be a waste of time and money if I fall short

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, so I just realised that one of the deadlines is:
  • Tuesday 25 January 2022
    Registration deadline: Tuesday 21 December 2021
Basically I don't know whether I should enrol before I receive my ATAR - I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to get into the course I want to, but am worried that it might be a waste of time and money if I fall short
USyd is your dream destination right? I believe you should start by weighing the positive aspects and the negative aspects of completing the MOOC.

If your dream course is at USyd, then perhaps completing the MOOC would be a good idea, especially if you meet the ATAR requirement for your chosen degree. It seems that all registration deadlines precede the release date of students' ATAR's so it doesn't seem like you will be able to complete the MOOC after you receive your ATAR. If you choose not to complete the MOOC but end up meeting the ATAR requirement for your degree, then I can imagine a negative feeling which I would not want to experience, especially if this were my dream course.

Although you will be allocating time and spending money to complete this course, I believe that wasting them would probably be better than deciding to not attempt the course at all, especially in the event where you meet the ATAR requirement for your degree.

I hope this helps! 😄

Hiheyhello

HSC
USyd is your dream destination right? I believe you should start by weighing the positive aspects and the negative aspects of completing the MOOC.

If your dream course is at USyd, then perhaps completing the MOOC would be a good idea, especially if you meet the ATAR requirement for your chosen degree. It seems that all registration deadlines precede the release date of students' ATAR's so it doesn't seem like you will be able to complete the MOOC after you receive your ATAR. If you choose not to complete the MOOC but end up meeting the ATAR requirement for your degree, then I can imagine a negative feeling which I would not want to experience, especially if this were my dream course.

Although you will be allocating time and spending money to complete this course, I believe that wasting them would probably be better than deciding to not attempt the course at all, especially in the event where you meet the ATAR requirement for your degree.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks so much, you're right, I think I'll register so not to sabotage myself from attending my dream uni
I also noticed that there's also a 'post-MOOC exam' component - do you know if they're both required for the advanced mathematics pre-requisite?
Also freaking out a little about the registration dates, have I left it too late? Thanks again!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks so much, you're right, I think I'll register so not to sabotage myself from attending my dream uni
I also noticed that there's also a 'post-MOOC exam' component - do you know if they're both required for the advanced mathematics pre-requisite?
Also freaking out a little about the registration dates, have I left it too late? Thanks again!
No worries, good thinking indeed!

Yes, completing the MOOC and sitting the post-MOOC exam are both required and constitute the third of five steps that need to be completed for the MOOC to count in your application to USyd (all of which are listed on the same page, as you may already be aware). Completing the modules and their respective quizzes will enable you to gain the knowledge necessary to sit and achieve a favourable result in the post-MOOC exam.

There are still 35 days until the 25 January 2022 post-MOOC exam, which should be plenty of time for you to successfully learn and complete the Introduction to Calculus course component and hopefully still have some time to prepare for the post-MOOC exam (should you feel the need). Remember that you can also ask any maths-related questions on here as well!

Porogamiii

HSC
Just an update for 2021 graduates that the maths prerequisite for this year no longer requires you to get a band 4, just to have completed either advanced or extension 1/2.

1st dropdown

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 3.45.34 pm.png

5uckerberg

HSC
How is this a good thing. What happened to the high standards that USYD used to have?

Hiheyhello

HSC
No worries, good thinking indeed!

Yes, completing the MOOC and sitting the post-MOOC exam are both required and constitute the third of five steps that need to be completed for the MOOC to count in your application to USyd (all of which are listed on the same page, as you may already be aware). Completing the modules and their respective quizzes will enable you to gain the knowledge necessary to sit and achieve a favourable result in the post-MOOC exam.

There are still 35 days until the 25 January 2022 post-MOOC exam, which should be plenty of time for you to successfully learn and complete the Introduction to Calculus course component and hopefully still have some time to prepare for the post-MOOC exam (should you feel the need). Remember that you can also ask any maths-related questions on here as well!
Update: I exceeded the ATAR I needed for psych, but I lacked the discipline and energy to complete the maths bridging course ... think I'm gonna apply for UNSW instead :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)