USYD Pharmacy (1 Viewer)

maree84

HSC
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on entry score requirements for the pharmacy degree at the University of Sydney based on previous experience. I have a WAM score of 70/GPA 5 based on my scores from a bachelor of nursing degree completed. Is there any chance that I could still get into the course based on these marks?

leekiss

HSC
Do you really want to do pharmacy? Sorry not to put you off or anything, but the employment situation is very bad and only going to get worse. What about other health degrees like physio, ot, speech pathology etc? What's wrong with nursing if you don't mind me asking?

maree84

HSC
Well I've been thinking about becoming a pharmacist for a while now and think I would enjoy dealing primarily with medications which I do get exposure to with my current role, but would love to delve into further with the bachelor of pharmacy degree. Nursing can be quite exhausting and although I do enjoy my work it's not a profession I want to stay in for the rest of my life, I'm already starting to feel burnt out!

merninaB

HSC
I also want to be a pharmacist for a while now and think I would enjoy dealing primarily with medications which I do get exposure to with my current role. A vaccine that fights pre-established chemical dependency might be accessible in the near future, reports the New York Times. Chemist Dr. Kim Janda of Scripps Research Institute might have found an ingenious way of breaking the routine of addiction to such substances as nicotine, heroin, cocaine and more. Anti-addiction vaccine currently in development. The immune system is spurred to produce antibodies that fight the addiction, as well as future introduction of the drug into the system, if the user still has interest in drugs that will produce little or no effect. A chemical cocktail called an adjuvant further riles the immune system, tricking it into producing the antibodies necessary to combat the addictive properties present in the user’s system. It replaces the high of the drug, rather than merely blocking it, as anti-opiates do.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
your best option is to avoid pharm, it is very hard to find jobs as a pharmacist atm and with big discounts chains like chemistwarehouse, cincottas- pharmacy is down the drain, lower wages, pretty much the scripts are handed and counselled by pharmacy assistants

Last edited:

dd25

HSC
your best option is to avoid pharm, it is very hard to find jobs as a pharmacist atm and with big discounts chains like chemistwarehouse, cincottas- pharmacy is down the drain, lower wages, pretty much the scripts are handed and counselled by pharmacy assistants
+1

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Some of these comments are a bit harsh. Let me say from experience after doing over a year of pharmacy, USYD's pharm course starts off pretty insane. Huge amount of contact hours and its just like a normal science degree for the first year. You pretty much have 3 full on final exams each sem and then the other is like a humanity subject.

Yes job prospects aren't that good as a community pharmacist however that is why you diversify and look for roles as a hospital pharmacist or a pharmaceutical rep. There is much more scope (and money for the latter) in these areas and job security would be good as these are always in demand. The role of the pharmacist is growing however the prospect of owning a pharmacy to make money is on the decline with the big chains settling in over the last 10 years.

Do the degree, see for yourself. Many stick with it, regardless whether they like it or not and then come to love it with time. I left at the point where I hated it however my friends that continued found it gradually more interesting as the course became more clinically orientated. Beware though, it is incredibly difficult and many people fail. There are also subjects which are pass/fail and if you fail, you need to resit the subject next year. There is a possibility of overloading however that is at the discretion of the faculty. Many people are left behind a year.

A WAM and GPA of 70/5 respectively properly wouldn't cut it unless you are currently studying at USYD.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
+2

PTechGirl88

HSC
If you want to become a pharmacist, I say go for it! You will only be happy if you truly enjoy what you are doing at work, it will be easier for you to be happy with your life in general. Take a look at my website to see some more information about the job outlook, but I really think you have a great path planned. There is always going to be a need for responsible pharmacists to make sure the drugs they are selling aren't put into the wrong hands. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)