Usyd Summer School (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi guys,

Recently I found out you could study 1st year courses at summer school and possibly accelerate your degree. I may want to do this with first year maths units.

Does anyone have any experience with summer school? Would you recommend doing it? I would personally like to get ahead...the 3 months seems a bit too long to wait! Haha

Thanks for the opinions,

loapowm

Banned
HSC
I am fairly sure you can only do this if you are already in uni.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Otherwise relax man. You just finished your HSC

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's like a billion dollars.

Last edited:
HSC
No you can...there are subjects for school leavers haha.

And yeah it is quite expensive...

loapowm

Banned
HSC
No you can...there are subjects for school leavers haha.

Didn't know that. Why bother? Relax

But if you legit have nothing else to do, do it

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, the gummament usually subsidises units of study, but doesn't for summer school so it's $$$$.

It's like ~$2,700 to do human biology but only ~$400 during semester (I was gonna do human bio).

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I did a history subject in summer school once because I was bored and it was great because it was a history of film, so I spent 5 hours of class a week watching movies, then 4 hours a week talking about them.

But yes, expensive. And doing assignments while friends are on break is a pain.

And I wouldn't recommend accelerating if you're doing a standard 3yr degree. The 3 years goes incredibly quickly and uni life is great, so why would you want to accelerate even more?

Though some benefits are smaller class sizes, getting to know the lecturer/tutor better, they go through the content more quickly than during semester, so it is pretty intense (or so I've heard from those that did maths summer school)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I did a history subject in summer school once because I was bored and it was great because it was a history of film, so I spent 5 hours of class a week watching movies, then 4 hours a week talking about them.

But yes, expensive. And doing assignments while friends are on break is a pain.

And I wouldn't recommend accelerating if you're doing a standard 3yr degree. The 3 years goes incredibly quickly and uni life is great, so why would you want to accelerate even more?

Though some benefits are smaller class sizes, getting to know the lecturer/tutor better, they go through the content more quickly than during semester, so it is pretty intense (or so I've heard from those that did maths summer school)
This!!!

Deathless

HSC
A super late response to this but if you want to accelerate your degree's completion then DO the summer school. This is the only way to accelerate completion while studying at USYD (there are a few other ways but they do not involve studying at USYD or requiring special permission).

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hi guys,

Recently I found out you could study 1st year courses at summer school and possibly accelerate your degree. I may want to do this with first year maths units.

Does anyone have any experience with summer school? Would you recommend doing it? I would personally like to get ahead...the 3 months seems a bit too long to wait! Haha

Thanks for the opinions,
What about simply overloading during semesters? No need to pay a huge amount of money if you do that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)