UTS HSC Bonus Scheme (1 Viewer)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Hey guys! :)

I have a few questions about the HSC bonus scheme that UTS is offering.

From what i understand, UTS is offering extra UAI points to students who choose certain courses in Science, IT, Business and Engineering and a maximum of 5 points can be given however engineering offers a max of 6 points. Also - the UTS site says that there is no need to apply for this scheme but some people i've spoken to say that i must. Can anyone clarify this for me :confused:

Will UTS check if I’m eligible for the bonus points and automatically place me in the course, if I get a uai of 80, when my first preference (B Business/BSci in IT) requires a uai of 84 or will I get accepted into the course that is my 2nd preference for the time being and wait for UTS to let me know if I’ve received the extra points and whether or not I’ve been accepted into the course?

Does that make sense? :eek:

Thanx in advance :D
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

ioniser

HSC
they will automatically look at your subjects and add them to your uai and replace your old rank with the new rank within the demand for the course. In engineering you also get the chance to complete a survey to verify your suitability for the course(this however will very from faculty to faculty,your best chance is to look it under each faculty's website)

HSC
wow...*sigh of relief* i didn't even know about this...
and they have my courses in it ^^ yay...

that gives me a glimmer of slight hope :(

HSC
Well from the list i have

B Sci (Flexible)
B Sci (biomed/biotech/med sci)
B Biomed Sci
B Med Sci

etc...its all quite similar in my first 7 preferences :)
[and then that forensic bio up first..but i have no chance XD ]

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
MortImmortelle said:
wow...*sigh of relief* i didn't even know about this...
and they have my courses in it ^^ yay...

that gives me a glimmer of slight hope :(
I felt the same way when i first found out. I'm feeling slightly stress free because of it. :)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Communications courses are usually pretty full up and popular though, hence UTS wouldnt have much of a problem filling places. The courses mentioned in the first post are where there have been a number of vacancies in the past few years (especially IT and Engineering), so any incentive the uni can provide would be a good thing. I mean this isn't just a way for the uni to get money. It also helps the economy as a whole, as the industry is a little worried at the moment about the shortage of IT and Engineering graduates at the moment (as an example), so unis have to try to help with these problems.

HSC
oh really? i did not know that there were shortages in IT and especially engineering..

Well then why would they put it for courses like med sci *confused*...there are loads of med sci students around arent there? = /

HSC
musk: oh god i'm gonna be with a bunch of medicine wannabes...oh the horror
= P lol

lol my parents tried their hardest to get me to want to do med/surgery...ugh...*shivers*

lol i'd be happier in med sci :) so it works out in my favour i guess :/

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
magpam said:
for commerce its only if you do well in maths and english

the two subjects which i suck at grrrr

why couldn't it be business studies or something
The UTS Business degrees don't really require any previous knowledge in Business Studies or perhaps even Economics- as the core subjects that are done cover the fundamentals of these courses anyways.

A background in English and Maths would definately help- thus justifying their decision to offer Bonus points to those who achieve high marks in those subjects.

bethrealistic

HSC
My theory is that they're trying to encourage more suitable candidates, rather than ones who use the system to get higher marks.

i.e. for the course I'm looking at, Fashion and Textile Design, a lecturer told me on the open day that often people choosing the course don't have any talent or even past experience in design, and they would rather use portfolio applications than UAI... and simply because of the huge number of applicants they can't.

So perhaps this is a way of encouraging students who have had previous experience in these areas, who might not have achieved a brilliant UAI, to consider these courses, and to weed out the people who might drop out of the course anyway.

Just my humble opinion, could be very wrong!

j12torts

HSC
yeh this is related to the original question. my friend got 70.6 UAI but the course he wants at UTS is 71.2 so thts like a difference of 0.6

and since UTS offer 4 bonus points for him becos he did physics and 2u maths, would he still get in to his course? or is it even likely that he'll get in?

and can u appeal to that particular faculty saying that you were only below the cut-off by 0.6 for admission for 2008? thnks heaps guys email your answers at j12torts@gmail.com

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
j12torts said:
yeh this is related to the original question. my friend got 70.6 UAI but the course he wants at UTS is 71.2 so thts like a difference of 0.6

and since UTS offer 4 bonus points for him becos he did physics and 2u maths, would he still get in to his course? or is it even likely that he'll get in?

and can u appeal to that particular faculty saying that you were only below the cut-off by 0.6 for admission for 2008? thnks heaps guys email your answers at j12torts@gmail.com
He'll get it in.

krayzie_

HSC
MortImmortelle said:
musk: oh god i'm gonna be with a bunch of medicine wannabes...oh the horror
= P lol

lol my parents tried their hardest to get me to want to do med/surgery...ugh...*shivers*

lol i'd be happier in med sci :) so it works out in my favour i guess :/
LOL, FUCK YEAH!

During first day of our Medical Science practical my tutor who is a doctor (MBBS) made everyone introduce themselves, name course, what you wanna do be etc..

So half the class are wannabe doctors.. LOL, I cracked up each time, everyone thinks its so easy to get in. :D I wish I was that blind.

HSC
krayzie_ said:
LOL, FUCK YEAH!

During first day of our Medical Science practical my tutor who is a doctor (MBBS) made everyone introduce themselves, name course, what you wanna do be etc..

So half the class are wannabe doctors.. LOL, I cracked up each time, everyone thinks its so easy to get in. :D I wish I was that blind.
I know this is out of topic. But what do you want to do after university?

and woot i think i may have a reasonable chance (with these bonus points included) of getting in :D *jumps around*

krayzie_

HSC
MortImmortelle said:
I know this is out of topic. But what do you want to do after university?

and woot i think i may have a reasonable chance (with these bonus points included) of getting in :D *jumps around*
I'm planning to either work for a year or so OR go onto higher level studies. I'm currently considering the new Juris Doctor from the faculty of law to go along with my hopefully b.business/b.medical science

HSC
hey just wondering guys, is this bonus scheme just started as of this year?
Because then er, i don't see how it'll make things THAT much better. -.-'

krayzie
goodluck mate :D ew business...i wish i could do something like that but i just fail in general xD

smum

HSC
hi, with the bonus scheme do they still look at EAS? My cousin needs about 8 marks to get into Business and IT.(84).. If she gets 5 marks from hsc bonus , will they give her anymore for EAS?thanks for any help..also if she goes for DFEE will they still give her hsc bonus or EAS?

Fruitsalad

HSC
I have a question regarding the bonus scheme too...

I know that: with the bonus scheme points will be added to students' UAI according to what band they got for the HSC subjects they studied which are included as part of the scheme.

Will the UAI cut-off be raised because they'll be adding on UAI points?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
It shouldn't be too different to the previous years (of 90-ish); but may increase due to the higher demand (from the Bonus Scheme).
UTS' cutoff for B Business has always been pretty high though (a good 5-ish uai points higher than Macq general commerce cutoff).

Fruitsalad

HSC
I went to the advisory day yesterday at UTS, and even when
I asked some of the assistants from the Design Vis Comm stall, they said weren't sure how the UAI cut-off will end up being.

C'mon 17th Jan please come... :p

It feels slightly more torturous than waiting for HSC results. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)