Uts Vs Mq (1 Viewer)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me or at least help me in deciding which of the following options is better

B Business at Uts
uai 90.55
or
B Commerce - Accounting / B Laws at
Mq uai 90.25

*If i was to go to UTS and do the business course, my plan is to get a transfer to business law after a year, and that's not guaranteed either whereas at MQ i could get into the course i want straight off with a lower uai

*The downside is i live in Inlgeburn, which is pretty much far from everything but UTS is closer and MQ isn't but MQ is also getting that train station fixed by mid next year! I really don't know what to do....everyone keeps telling me MQ is the best business uni too

I'd be quite happy for any info or help provided!

Thanx :wave:

X

xeuyrawp

1. Go to the open days,
2. have a wander around the unis,
3. talk with lots of people.

Number 3 is the hardest because there seems to be a lot of intellectual baggage when you talk about unis. I don't think I've heard anyone talk in an unbiased way about the uni from which they graduated.

Remember that also, it may be easier to transfer from MQ BComLLB to UTS BComLLB than UTS BCom to UTS BComLLB. It may be harder, though, so definitely check out the internal UTS transfer policy.

At the UTS open day, make sure you find someone who actually knows about the process. Find out what kind of marks you need to be competitive to transfer internally and whether that's realistic for you. A lot of people pretend to know, so make sure you find someone who's actually qualified. :p

Godspeed. :)

HSC
mq sounds like a better option for you tbh, but i'm no expert, so ask someone who can give you REAL answers, as mentioned above :p

but if you are willing to travel a bit further wollongong uni offers commerce/law and you can major in business law for the commerce part. the cut-off for this years intake was 90.00. although first year is entirely law (won't start commerce till second year) so that could play a factor in your decision if you're looking on transferring asap.

meh just another option for you anyway, good luck for your hsc :)

Last edited:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
bargh!:( i'm screwed to the max, i really want to go to the UTS, for convenience and also because i like the uni but im worried if i go there i wont get the transfer because its not guaranteed.

The only reason i hesitate when it comes to MQ is the distance i have to travel, i already travel a long while just to get to school (that was my decision and im not complaining) and i'd hate to do it for another four or five years.:uhoh: ah bumcrack...

Does MQ have campuses else where?

Oh and thanx for the help guys, much appreciated :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My friend lives around the same area you do, and while it is a drive, its not actually that far.

You might actually find that it'll take you the same amount of time to get to UTS as it does to get to MQ.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
watatank said:
but if you are willing to travel a bit further wollongong uni offers commerce/law and you can major in business law for the commerce part. the cut-off for this years intake was 90.00. although first year is entirely law (won't start commerce till second year) so that could play a factor in your decision if you're looking on transferring asap.

How far is Wollongong from Campbelltown?
Some of the guys i work with go there and they say that they're tired due to the travelling and they also live in the same area as me. I really dont mind, which uni i go to i just want to do Business Law. Also with the first year of the course being entirely law, does that apply to all unis or just Wollongong? :confused:

once again thanx for all the advice guys! :)

HSC
campbelltown isn't too far away really. i think maybe an hour drive or something?

if you dont have a car i know they run buses from campbelltown to uow, but i'm not sure on times and how long it takes to get there etc. i think there's a good chance your workmates take the bus (because if you took the train youd have to go to central first, lol) but you should ask them on their experiences i'm sure they can tell you that one.

aileenli

HSC
tanjin said:
I really dont mind, which uni i go to i just want to do Business Law. Also with the first year of the course being entirely law, does that apply to all unis or just Wollongong? :confused:

once again thanx for all the advice guys! :)
hey, I'm currently doing Commerce - accounting and law at mac, and out of the four units that we do each semester in first year, only one is a law unit - the other three are commerce units. The one law unit that we did in first semester wasn't actually law either - more like the philosophy of law. I think we only seriously start doing law in second or third year.....

check out the handbook thingy for all the units that you can do in this degree because you really have no electives at all - till like fourth or fifth year.

X

xeuyrawp

aileenli said:
out of the four units that we do each semester in first year, only one is a law unit - the other three are commerce units. The one law unit that we did in first semester wasn't actually law either - more like the philosophy of law. I think we only seriously start doing law in second or third year.....
MQ law = hopeless. Lack of substantive law before second year totally excludes students from doing high-level advanced classes/seminars/papers in them, as all other unis have.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
nikmueller said:
come to club mac!! live on campus in the villages

well if i was allowed then i suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea, infact it would probably be the best idea, however being a curry it's tradition that i have ultra protective parents and with a extremely cool yet conservative dad. Plus i have epilepsy and im highly medicated, my parents get scared when im out, incase i have a seizure and all. :)

nikmueller

HSC
you wouldn't be the first person with epilepsy who has lived on campus. mac kids are very sweet and loveable bunch. tell your parents that we will take good care of ya

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
nikmueller said:
you wouldn't be the first person with epilepsy who has lived on campus. mac kids are very sweet and loveable bunch. tell your parents that we will take good care of ya

i know im not the only kid with epilepsy, im pretty sure some others have a far severe case of epilepsy then me...but there'd be no way my parents would agree to it. They'd prefer that i not go to Macquarie Uni and even if i end up going, i'd still be living at home. They wont see the point in me living on campus when they're in the same state as me...it's complicated. If you ever get the chance to meet me parents, you'll understand. :p

I dont mind long journeys, especially when i have my music man (mp3 player) but if i can avoid travelling the distance then that's what i'll do. :)

anaoum

HSC
i too would like to no how good maq is for business as i want to do applied finance and commerse - accounting.

help would be much appreciated

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
anaoum said:
i too would like to no how good maq is for business as i want to do applied finance and commerse - accounting.

help would be much appreciated
Maybe you should consider starting your own thread? You'd get more answers that way. :)

X

xeuyrawp

tanjin said:
well if i was allowed then i suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea, infact it would probably be the best idea, however being a curry it's tradition that i have ultra protective parents and with a extremely cool yet conservative dad. Plus i have epilepsy and im highly medicated, my parents get scared when im out, incase i have a seizure and all. :)
hah. I'm on epilepsy drugs. *low five*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)