UTS vs. UNSW (1 Viewer)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Hello.

I got a UAI of 95.6 and want to study commerce/business at either UTS or UNSW but I'm still unsure which is better in terms of practical experience and what companies actually prefer. My cousins go to UTS and study business and say that every unit requires you to do groupwork where you actually go to an outside company/business and draw up their business plans or marketing plans or finance plans etc etc and that's really cool. So for all those that study commerce at UNSW, I was wondering what sort of practical experience the university offers.
Also, I was contemplating the combined commerce/economics course at UNSW but am unsure whether this would be better than studying business/law at UTS. Any thoughts? I was going to call up a few companies etc and see if they could tell me which they would prefer but have been too busy with work etc.

Thanks,

hyperbole. :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Also, I was contemplating the combined commerce/economics course at UNSW but am unsure whether this would be better than studying business/law at UTS.
Well do you have any actual interest in law? The truth is that law is a very different subject to business/commerce, and generally it is recommended not the combine with these courses for this very reason.

You seem to be fairly interested in business, so I would stick to that. The main difference between commerce at unsw and business at uts I believe would be the complexity of the units involved.

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I find that many Law students only do Law because they can, if you have no interest or very little interest in that field then you will either struggle or find it boring.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
i think i am doing it for the sake of it however i have always enjpoyed watching all those lawyer shows on tv and one of my favourite parts of business studies was learning about the ethical and legal aspects of business. does that count? lol.
but thanks for the advice. b. commerce/economics at unsw it is. i could always try post-grad law anyway. thanks!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well you can do business law and ethics in your first year, that will give you a decent taste of what studying law is like... if you find it to be interesting, transfer to law?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hyperbole said:
i think i am doing it for the sake of it however i have always enjpoyed watching all those lawyer shows on tv and one of my favourite parts of business studies was learning about the ethical and legal aspects of business. does that count? lol.
but thanks for the advice. b. commerce/economics at unsw it is. i could always try post-grad law anyway. thanks!
there is a b commerce/ b economics at UNSW!?? or do you mean either b comm or b ec?

:eek:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hyperbole said:
I wouldn't judge the study of law at uni based on tv shows and HSC business studies experience, its much more complex, difficult and time consuming than you may think.
However, if you major in accounting, you'll almost certainly complete a minor in Business Law, so that should give you sufficient experience/exposure

Sarah168 said:
there is a b commerce/ b economics at UNSW!?? or do you mean either b comm or b ec?

:eek:
Yes, its new for 2006. Current students should be able to transfer across via the student centre

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
hyperbole said:
I was going to call up a few companies etc and see if they could tell me which they would prefer but have been too busy with work etc.
I don't think they'd give you a straight answer...they have to be diplomatic.

Just out of curiosity, why so keen on getting practical experience within your subjects? I mean a TAFE is REALLY practical...that doesn't make it preferable to a university degree.

An employee would consider your practical experience outside of university (for e.g. part time job, volunteer) far more important than any if a subject is more practical at one uni or another.

HSC
Minai said:
I wouldn't judge the study of law at uni based on tv shows and HSC business studies experience, its much more complex, difficult and time consuming than you may think.
However, if you major in accounting, you'll almost certainly complete a minor in Business Law, so that should give you sufficient experience/exposure

Yes, its new for 2006. Current students should be able to transfer across via the student centre
but what would be the point of that?
whats the structure like?
3 majors, 1 of which needs to be an eco major????

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ToO LaZy ^* said:
but what would be the point of that?
whats the structure like?
3 majors, 1 of which needs to be an eco major????
The point of what? What's the point of any double degree?

Yes, its 3 majors

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
to minai: i wanted to major in both accounting and finance. can i choose business law as part of my options? also, should i choose the combined degree, can i choose business strategy and economic management as my eco major? because i'm looking at the eco disciplines and it says i must choose at least one of economics, econometrics, economics/econometrics, economic history and financial economics but nothing about the business strategy one. yet in other pamplets etc, they say you can. i'm confused.

to goodtogo: well, it seems pretty difficult to find work (that is relevant to course) outside of university. perhaps the people i know are lookingin the wrong places but the first thing most employers seem to want to know is whether or not you've had any experience. obviously many haven't and as long as employers keep asking these questions, students will never get the experience and thus never get the work. the vicious cycle continues. and so if the university offers experience of some sort, they get their foot in the door which hopefully ends the cycle and so by the time they get out of uni, they have something to their name which hopefully makes finding employment easier. i hope that made sense.

anyway, thanks for all your help and advice. i think its unsw. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, you can complete 4 business law units (as required by the CA/CPA) as well as the double major in Accounting and Finance.
And, I don't think you can choose that major for your BEc major, because the Business Strategy major, to my knowledge, is an exclusive major for the BCom.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Minai said:
LOL I got an advertisement for the B Comm/Eco in the mail.

hyperbole said:
to minai: i wanted to major in both accounting and finance. can i choose business law as part of my options? also, should i choose the combined degree, can i choose business strategy and economic management as my eco major? because i'm looking at the eco disciplines and it says i must choose at least one of economics, econometrics, economics/econometrics, economic history and financial economics but nothing about the business strategy one. yet in other pamplets etc, they say you can. i'm confused.
It would seem you and me are in a similar boat =]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
GoodToGo said:
I don't think they'd give you a straight answer...they have to be diplomatic.

Just out of curiosity, why so keen on getting practical experience within your subjects? I mean a TAFE is REALLY practical...that doesn't make it preferable to a university degree.

An employee would consider your practical experience outside of university (for e.g. part time job, volunteer) far more important than any if a subject is more practical at one uni or another.
I'm under the impression that UTS is considerably more practical than UNSW and that many firms are beginning to realise this (accounting-wise). I tried to ask which university my firm preferred me to go to and even after hearing their answer, I'm still quite clueless so I'm just gonna pick UNSW.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
i talked to my cousin last night. he works at deustche (incorrect spelling) bank and he asked his employers and they said they prefer uts graduates...

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
seremify007 said:
I'm under the impression that UTS is considerably more practical than UNSW and that many firms are beginning to realise this (accounting-wise). I tried to ask which university my firm preferred me to go to and even after hearing their answer, I'm still quite clueless so I'm just gonna pick UNSW.
what was their answer??

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That's the thing- they gave me a rather ambiguous answer and didn't prefer either. All that they said was that they understand it is much more convenient to travel to UTS; but both universities were excellent choices. My guess is that they don't want to show favouritism/preference.

mashi

Elite
HSC
B.Acc @ UTS is better then the straight commerce degree at UNSW.

But B.Acc is the degree for UTS Accounting co op which is an entirely different (not the course, but what u talk abt in "industry experience") to Bachelor of business @ UTS.

All the employers and firms (ESP. DEUTCHE BANK) are referring to B.Acc not B.business

¬_¬

HSC
mashi said:
B.Acc @ UTS is better then the straight commerce degree at UNSW.

But B.Acc is the degree for UTS Accounting co op which is an entirely different (not the course, but what u talk abt in "industry experience") to Bachelor of business @ UTS.

All the employers and firms (ESP. DEUTCHE BANK) are referring to B.Acc not B.business
Not for people who are studying on cadetships- B Business offers the advantage of being extremely convenient compared to other univerisites, and the firms appreciate the practicality of the course.

However, a few of my peers are doing the UTS B. Acc course and are loving it- they preferred it over the cadetship programs (which surprisingly, the people who are doing B. Acc now, are the same group of people who were offered cadetships).

mashi

Elite
HSC
b.acc is much better then any cadetship. Same goes for any other co-op.

A cadetship is just a full time bottom level role (yes the underlings do the most work.. didn't u know?) with very little pay. Most cadets know and complain they don't get paid enough.

You don't need to work 3 years at a firm just to 'get your foot in the door'. It unnecessarily delays the time to finish your degree (as you are doing it part time).

Plus you invest your whole career in the one firm. With a co op program you get exposed to many firms. It's pretty standard that plenty of people in co op have cadetship offers yet many cadets miss out on scholarships.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)