Vb (1 Viewer)

SupaGloo

if i remember proply

Its a compiler -
1... all source code is translated into machine code during compilation
2 - it 'compiles' the program so u can run it without it having to translate again and again

interpreter is like coding in MS acess... or was it a mix of something.. well i cant remember.... did sdd last year and i know vb is a compiler

PiP

HSC
If your refering to the program i guess it could be classified as both in a way :)

the IDE lets you execute the code through it for bugtesting, etc..

but u can compile it into an executable as well :D

but when u do compile it into a executable, it needs the vb runtime to work (and i think the runtime interperate the program, that is why VB (excluding .NET heh) is so slow in comparisn to C/C+)

SupaGloo

yeh... positive now

interpreter translates source code into machine code as it is executed. Each and everytime its executed...eg:ms acess
just relate it to a 'language interpreter'.... translates as it is said

u shud learn the +s and -s of all the different types too

blah

I am blah
HSC
i thought that VB takes the role of an interpreter when u press the "play" button but takes the role of a compiler when u choose to compile ur project into an exe file.

SupaGloo

well for sdd major project, it would depend on how u hand ur assignment in

vb project as is (uncompiled) --- den id write in ur documentation that it acts as an interpreter such as the others have said
If you say that vb is an interpreter and u hand in a compiled vb project... well thats obviously wrong as its in relation to ur project

if a question asks whether something is a compiler/interpreter, then theyd usually give it in multi choice, thus pick the most appropriate (what the final product is)

id compile it anyway.. safer...
1 - it will run on any crappy computer(interpreters usually need the base program to run it and usually ud need to test on different OS....put mine on a cd cos it was too big for a disk, i forgot it had to read and write to the database(which it couldnt cos it was a cd!).... so inotherwords.... CRAP! took 1/2 a mark off cos i din know why till the next day...

2 - if ur teacher is really stuck up, they cant look at the source code (i spent how many weeks on mine and the teacher entered some test data that would prove positive n that was it(10second test)....weeks of all that error checking, bug fixing for nothing)
did mine in ms access, had nothing to hide, and its easier to incorporate a database

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)