Vectors question - 3 vectors and their moduli (1 Viewer)

gamja

HSC
1684325196562.png

Hi - don't know where to start for i). The solution we were given involved
c with arrow
=k(
a with arrow
/a +
vector b
/b) which contains unit vectors, which I don't really get. I know that we can't just equate k to c, because that would mean that c is a+b which is wrong as question does not imply a rhombus.

Thanks in advance for your help!

carrotsss

HSC
They have to be unit vectors to get exactly the bisection of the angle between an and b. If for example a was really short then when you add them it’s gonna lean way into b, and not be the bisection of the angle.

gazzaboy

HSC
You can break it down into two steps. Finding a vector in the direction of c and then finding the length of c.

Direction of c: First you're right in that we aren't guaranteed that we have a rhombus. So you make one! If you take the vector a/a, this is unit vector in the direction of a and magnitude 1. Likewise b/b is a unit vector in the direction of b. Since they both have length 1, when you add them, you do form a rhombus. So a/a + b/b has the direction we are looking for because the rhombus means we are bisecting the angle. This means that c = k ( a/a + b/b) for some number k.

Length of c: Length of c is given by sqrt(2ab). Since the length of a/a + b/b is |a/a + b/b|, we first divide by this to make it a unit vector, and then multiply by sqrt(2ab). If you simplify it, you should get something like (ba + ab) / |ba+ab| * sqrt(2ab).

s97127

HSC
View attachment 38425

Hi - don't know where to start for i). The solution we were given involved
c with arrow
=k(
a with arrow
/a +
vector b
/b) which contains unit vectors, which I don't really get. I know that we can't just equate k to c, because that would mean that c is a+b which is wrong as question does not imply a rhombus.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I solved it without using c = sqr(2ab). Where is this question from?

Attachments

gazzaboy

HSC
I solved it without using c = sqr(2ab). Where is this question from?
I'm not sure this works because you've assumed that c lies on a straight line between a and b, so you would need to prove this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)