Visual Arts or Business Studies (1 Viewer)

Porogamiii

HSC
So I'm in year 10 and torn between these 2 subjects for next year as my final pick (not in that forum cuz I need someone with experience). I'm currently first for art but am concerned about the workload for the major work in year 12 and if it will just be a time sink. Business does interest me but looking at a couple forums it seems pretty dry and just memorising the syllabus which is meh. I am doing well in commerce and business seems pretty similar although the law parts are pretty boring. My current choices are: maths adv. english adv. SOR 2, economics and biology. Anyone doing these subjects and consider them interesting? (If i do do art then I would probably do ceramics) Thanks.

periodmami

HSC
Hey, whilst I am not in year 11, I can for advice on this forum.
Obviously, you have art as a choice for a reason, there is a spark of interest, whilst this is true for business studies too, what subject could you see yourself sitting in? What subject could you see next on your timetable and be excited about?

Don't worry about the load of 1 major work, if you spread it out it will be alright.
Seems like you want to do art, and you may want a creative outlet, as economics and bio will be very content heavy.
:)

vinlatte

HSC
So I'm in year 10 and torn between these 2 subjects for next year as my final pick (not in that forum cuz I need someone with experience). I'm currently first for art but am concerned about the workload for the major work in year 12 and if it will just be a time sink. Business does interest me but looking at a couple forums it seems pretty dry and just memorising the syllabus which is meh. I am doing well in commerce and business seems pretty similar although the law parts are pretty boring. My current choices are: maths adv. english adv. SOR 2, economics and biology. Anyone doing these subjects and consider them interesting? (If i do do art then I would probably do ceramics) Thanks.
I also did maths adv, economics and business.

Maths adv is definitely intense content compared to yr 10, so studying is really necessary to keep up with the content. Many students at my school dropped from adv to standard but there was 3 people that dropped then decided to go back to adv. It's because of the drastic difference between adv and standard, especially if you were in the top classes for yr 10 maths. What I've heard is that standard content is a repeat of higher yr 10 maths, while adv can challenge you to learn new concepts. So I would suggest math adv if you are willing to put in the effort.

English adv is alright. I'm not a fan of english that much but there is more reading and analysis of texts which can interesting.

Economics is also another intense subject, very content heavy, but also very rewarding. The concepts link to geography and commerce / business studies, which may help. Understanding metalanguage is key in doing well in the subject.

I'd have to agree that business does get repetitive which is why I dropped it. I think visual art is a good option because of the structure of major project subjects. At least 60% of your external HSC mark is determined from the major project, which is less pressure on the exam for that subject. Also, subjects with major projects have exams that are half the time than other subjects (1.5 hrs compared to 3hrs).

You would also have to put more responsibility on youself to not procrastinate, and consistently work on the project. It can help you to organise your time more effectively and be more productive. Once you are in yr 12, you can drop a subject (2 units) so you have more free time to study or work on your project.

If you really can't decide, then that's what the first weeks of yr 11 are for. In those weeks, students tend to move around classes and can change their subject. At least spend a few lessons in each class to see what you are interested in.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I personally enjoyed business studies alot, and if you intend to pursue a career in say Chartered Accounting, much of the core syllabus points which you rote learned will be expanded on significantly in both university and post-graduate qualifications. I think like much of the HSC, you can either study it to do well in an exam (ie rote learn the content) or you can study it because you care and want to understand/appreciate the subject. I personally did the latter, and similar to another subject I did (IPT), both have been surprisingly useful in my career as a professional accountant/consultant in a large firm. The concepts/way of thinking, considering different aspects of a business which may not be directly linked to profit, understanding the interplay between stakeholders, business language writing skills, etc... they're all actually things which I built upon significantly in later years in life. It's not to say if you don't do business studies you'll be severely disadvantaged but I see it as a way of testing whether you enjoy the content and whether you want to pursue it further.

Porogamiii

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys I think I will choose business and see how it goes for the first task and then change to art if it is not interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)