i hate vb6 so going to try express now.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Jouma47 said:
Hi There

Who is using Visual Basic 2005 Express?

i hate vb6 so going to try express now.
heh they both involve similar coding but different user interfaces, whats wrong with vb 6

Jouma47

HSC
rather ask whats not wrong with vb

when u make a full compile and you want to install the program you just made it overwrites ur dll's and crap with older ones.

it doesnt have a HELP.
click on help and see what u get.....

Last edited:

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Jouma47 said:
rather ask whats not wrong with vb

when u make a full compile and you want to install the program you just made it overwrites ur dll's and crap with older ones.

it does have a HELP.
do u have a legal version?

Jouma47

HSC
Yes i do have a legal version, and even the school i i got to which aslso has a legal version has the same problem.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Jouma47 said:
If you're using VB6's deployment wizard then it did exactly what you told it to do. Its using the current DLLs the project is using in the package, whether they're older or newer. The deployment wizard is extremely basic, if you want to have more control over your installation packages you should look elsewhere for deployment solutions.

Jouma47 said:
it doesnt have a HELP.
I see the MSDN help page, with full text search and index listing. If you don't have it, its because you/your school didn't install MSDN.

MSDN for the entire Visual Studio suite is available online for free, which I posted a link to for you last time.

Ghost1788

HSC
sunny said:
If you're using VB6's deployment wizard then it did exactly what you told it to do. Its using the current DLLs the project is using in the package, whether they're older or newer. The deployment wizard is extremely basic, if you want to have more control over your installation packages you should look elsewhere for deployment solutions.
I recommend Inno Setup for this. Just compile your project in vb and then use tell inno to use the required files into its installer. Its v.simple and v. effective. (TIP: use the templates)

-Ghost

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
I used VB6 in yr 11, but the school switched over to vb2005 express in the holidays.

The actual coding is not much different, I believe it uses a combination of vb6 and vb.net features. Anyway, it does have a help and also tells you as you're typing code if you've stuffed up some syntax. Also has a lot of really useful features, especially in debugging.

However, therein lies its problem because it seems to need a very fast computer with a fair bit ram. Our school has pretty good computers (as far as schools go) and they ran vb6 fine but with vb2005 there are often major delays. One of the things that really annoys me is that whenever you click the "play" button to test the code, it automatically saves it, compiles it into an exe then runs it. This can often take about 90seconds, so you can't test each line of code as you write it.

So its pros are that its feature packed, cons are that it's heaps slow. I didn't find it too hard to switch over, and MSDN has full support for it.

Just my two cents worth, :)

mattie

HSC
ianc said:
So its pros are that its feature packed, cons are that it's heaps slow. I didn't find it too hard to switch over, and MSDN has full support for it.
Totally agree.

Even when you do get stuck, cause something is different to VB 6, there is a load of info on the net to help you out, and on some things if you type it out as it should be in VB 6, the program will give you a little explanation on how to change it so it will work in .NET

I've been using VB 6 since year 10, but i think that i'll try to do my major in VB 2005, cause ive had a bit of a look at it, and its way more powerful, and somewhat easier to do some things. My school is running both versions now, so there is no reason for me not to switch over.

A helpful video series which explains the basics, and i found that it helped me work out the differences between VB6 and 2005:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/learning/default.aspx

WikiLover89

HSC
I started using VB 6 at the start of term 3 this year and we had troubles with it so we got VB 2005 EE installed and it works faster and is easier to figure out, sure the object browser and online help is a tad shonky but it is better than VB 6
so lets just all play nice and shut up please

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)