Viva Voce - already???! (1 Viewer)

suprwoman101

HSC
Hi EE2 of 2013!

My Viva Voce is on the 9th of November - weighted at 20% of my final school 50 :vcross:

Was just reading the viva voce thread - and most of you didn't have yours until term 2/3 of year 12 (aka term 1/2 of next year), and I'm wondering why mine is so early.

Any hints/tips? Planning on smashing this to make sure I have a solid starting block behind me - preferably 95%+ for the viva voce.

I have to answer-

1. Category of major work, listing requirements for completion.
Print Medium - Analytical Essay, 5000-6000 words (including the reflection statement).

2. Outline of plot, stylistic features and themes.

3. Timeline for completion of drafts.
First draft by Week 1, Term 1.
Second draft by Week 6, Term 2.
Final draft/finished project by Week 3, Term 3.

4. Ideas for research regarding project.

5. Rationale for undertaking the course.

Question 2 - the outline of plot and stylistic features applies to everything but analytical essays. I'm planning on just talking about what I plan to write in my essay, and tell them the basic outline. Thoughts anyone?

Thankyou!

nifkeh

HSC
my school's viva voce I think is in term 1 next year and it's like 10/50? dunno

joscat

HSC
O_O That is indeed very early! Mine's not 'till Week 4 next term.

I haven't thought much about mine yet (also I'm doing a creative not a critical) but the list of things you need to have in it seems pretty straightforward. Good luck with it! :) Have you already decided on the topic for your critical work?

avro

HSC
I got 100% for my viva. Make sure you have a genre or whatever down flat. Remember you can change your concept a bit though. Use literary theory that relates to your work. My major work was a historical fiction piece, across three different time periods. I used travelling theory. This is all research. Timeline is easy. Themes are derived from your general concept, etc. Really use literary theory to your advantage, that'll show an incredible amount of research already and will hopefully get you some decent marks. Just be honest, don't rely on notes. Know your work back to front and be really confident about what you're doing.

joscat

HSC
@avro- this may be a stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by 'literary theory'? ^^;

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Just some tips from my experience with the viva:
- have some of your mw completed so at least have something to discuss
- include evidence in regards to the form you chose, and why
- write some nonsense in the journal to make the teachers happy (for me, this involved writing a timeline of what i expected my character to encounter)
- treat it like a normal conversation with your teacher(s)

suprwoman101

HSC
I'm still in the research stages of it! Nowhere near ready to actually START writing my MW! It's so early to have it! Might just have my thesis statement or the question/s I'm researching.

I've been scrawling in my journal as I've been researching, so that hopefully will keep him happy.

With an analytical essay, I can't really have a genre! I'm looking into doing a fictocriticism (or probably just a plain out analytical) piece on how Shakespeare permeates and is appropriated into the 21st Century world in the form of cartoons/TV shows such as the Simpsons, Family Guy.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
The viva voce is the least predictable assessment task and is often the one that will most influence the final ranks. You need to smash it. Here is what I did to get 9.5/10.

1. If you don't have a solid idea of what you want to do by now, get one. You can change it later. Right now you need to show the markers that you are on the ball and completely on top of everything.

2. Know your shit. The kind of exchanges you want to be having are as follows: TEACHER:."have you considered doing xxxx?" YOU: "well author/theorist yyyy said zzzz about xxxx, but at the same time, i believe that..."

3. With critical responses a lot of candidates forget that form research is necessary. You should talk about essays that had a particular effect on you and what you stylistic ideas you've adopted from them for your work.

4. Your teachers haven't given you much to go on! We got a list of 5 questions they would definitely ask. I suggest you write out some questions and practice answering them. If I remember I will upload the questions they gave us.

5. It is a requirement of the ext2 course that your MW is influenced by content you studied in adv and ext. Incorporate this into your rationale.

Good luck!

suprwoman101

HSC
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone! Ended up with 19/20 aka 95%! Which I am very very happy with!

Not sure what I lost a mark on though :( Wasn't told. Would like to know.

Llamanator

HSC
Mine's next week and I'm so not prepared. I'm having trouble pinning down exactly what my concept is and what I'm trying to do with it - it's all up in the air right now.
Extra tips on how to prepare?
I've done research already on the Berlin Wall, Stalin, Mao Zedong, Hitler etc. and dystopic fictions so far.
Help!
:eek:

Last edited:

annakristo

HSC
Mine was also really early and some of my friends who were at different schools and doing EE2 had the same late viva timeframe. It gets you really prepared and straight into it, instead of umming and ahhing for a term about what you want to do. In retrospect, it was really helpful :) good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)