Want to do a double major? Possible? (1 Viewer)

MzRobinHood97

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm doing Advanced Science and want to major in Physiology but Im really interesting in Ecology. Can I do a double major? Or can I add those units in my timetable? If so, how many can I put each year?

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I can't help you with the technical side of things but in terms of you asking if you can double major then I'm pretty sure you can, it just means you have drastically fewer/no electives or sub-majors. USyd's handbook should probably explain it, or else I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will come along soon and help you :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can double major but in your third year, you won't have any electives. In your second, you will have at most, four electives.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I doubt that the OP is still active, so I'll respond to this generally.

All of the OP's questions could have been easily answered by reading the USYD Science Handbook. I suggest that everyone does their own basic research before they ask unnecessarily obvious questions.

In it, one would see that there is no ecology major. There is only the biology major, in which one can pick ecology units. Fortunately for the OP, quite a few of the ecology subjects are field study units which are offered in intensive format during the semester breaks. So if the OP wanted to apply for special permission to extend the credit point limit in their degree, they could easily complete a Physiology and Biology major and still have room free for electives. Otherwise, as previously mentioned, it is doable if one foregoes many of their electives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)