Wanting to do a health-realted career but bad at Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

itszen

HSC
Hey guys,im currently aiming for a health-related career but im having second thoughts,as im doing hsc chemistry and just scrapping through a pass. In year 11,i understood the content but now im just not getting what the teachers says about our four main topics for hsc chemistry. For health degrees,is there a lot much of chemistry to understand or is just the 'principals of chemistry' and most of it biology? And what are these principals for example? Im currently looking at a health science degree or a exercise science degrees.

domoku

HSC
for health science or exercise science programs, chemistry would be hard to avoid in first year. the standard level of first year chem at uni introduces new content that isnt taught at high school, but its not tremendously hard. (chemistry is seriously my absolute weak point, and i was able to get through it with an ok mark.) in subsequent years, the amount of chemistry you do depends on your major. so basically you can avoid doing chemistry in 2nd year onwards if you major in something not requiring chemistry knowledge (e.g. anatomy).

however, some exercise science programs (e.g. exercise physiology at unsw) requires biochemistry. but, theres a stronger focus on the biology aspect, rather than chemistry so its probably something you wouldnt need to worry about.

*note: this is just what i experienced at unsw, so it might differ across other universities

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,im currently aiming for a health-related career but im having second thoughts,as im doing hsc chemistry and just scrapping through a pass. In year 11,i understood the content but now im just not getting what the teachers says about our four main topics for hsc chemistry. For health degrees,is there a lot much of chemistry to understand or is just the 'principals of chemistry' and most of it biology? And what are these principals for example? Im currently looking at a health science degree or a exercise science degrees.
Why are you doing English Advanced?

FrozenSky

HSC
If you're doing bad in chemistry then you'll most likely dread any science degrees (unless you're majoring physics or something). Chemistry is the foundation for all science, and to further worsen your position there are two parts to chem i.e. Chem 1, Chem 2 (which a billion times harder than chem 1 from what I've heard). Even after completing the two parts to chem, everything else you do will work up from chem. Furthermore, biology in uni is very different to HSC bio. Biology in uni is basically another chemistry subject, if you don't get chemistry you won't get biology.

It's not too late to start working now and pick up on your chemistry. I didn't do any chemistry in HSC or prelim, yet i'm doing chem right now :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)