wats soo banged up about this yr n last yr (1 Viewer)

geez85

wat so banged up about this yr was dat u really had 2 do really gud this yr 2 get a gud uai. i went better in the hsc marks den my cousin who did her hsc last yr but she got high uai. my subj were higher scaled subj n i got better marks den her. wat do ppl think?

lbft

Geek
HSC
There are two possible explanations:

1. You wrote like that in the English exam, and at least 2 units of English are always counted towards the UAI calculation.

2. The candidature, as a whole, got better marks this year. Now that the 'new' HSC isn't quite so new anymore, students, teachers and textbook writers are getting a better feel for the course content. You'll notice that, in many subjects, more people got into higher bands this year than last year.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think it will get harder every year to get a good uai

but i was surprised with the number of over 90s this year (maybe just because i know more people doing the hsc, of course)

geez85

but if uai is a rank, shouldnt only a limited number of ppl can only get the same uai?

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
the amount of people who get 90+ remains constant, it's a rank
or so i read somewhere on the forum

frenchie

HSC
i read that too.

so the number of students performing well in the hsc can influence the uai cutoof? or do uac work around this? wil places available be the only influence on the uai cutoff?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hmm, the marks are getting higher as people get more comfortable with the syllabus.. and so with the same set of marks as someone from previous years, your rank in the state would be lower hence a lower UAI?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the uai cut off is in a sense shows the demand for the course. i don't think the number of students performing well will influence the cut off, as you guys have said a constant number of people get over 90 every year.

as far as i know places available, and how high the demand for the course is, will be the main influence on uai cut off

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
some uni's might "influence" the cutoffs themselves, but more likely its demand and supply

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by lbft

1. You wrote like that in the English exam, and at least 2 units of English are always counted towards the UAI calculation.
nice one... :)

Wahlito

You took the words right out of my mouth.... er fingers....

As soon as i read his post (very slowly to try and make sence of it), I was about to write "Maybe you wrote like that in your exams"

Anyway, i think its because everyone on a whole seems to be doing much better this year and competition is harder now that everyone knows what the markers want from examining the standards packages and all.

Questions in english were also reported to be much more straight forward this year then the last 2.

Also, in many subjects where there were, for example, 3 sub topic areas, and only 1 is tested each year. 2 of these were already tested in 2001 and 2002, leaving students guessing the 3rd one would be tested this year (and was)

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
eg.... ecos... the essay q on inflation was predictable

is a roflcopter
HSC
thats not what happened with business studies
where all 4 essay questions were bumjacked

hence the 5% band6 instead of the usual 10

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC

HAHA! :D
10 points for that one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)