Moderator application form (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Do you want to be part of the Bored of Studies team? :bosman:

Ever since 2002, Bored of Studies has been committed to helping students in one of the most important years of their lives. We are proud to be making a difference to the student community for so many years and will strive to continue doing so in the years to come.

We are now looking for new moderators to join our team.

Description and responsibilities

Moderators are users who manage the day-to-day affairs of our forums. All moderators are in a volunteering position with the following responsibilities:
  • Enforcing our site's rules and principles, which involves monitoring, editing or deleting posts/resources as well as warning users where appropriate
  • Maintaining a positive environment, promoting useful and constructive discussions in the forums
  • Responding to user concerns and queries related to this site
  • Contributing to Bored of Studies' intiatives as guided by Senior moderators and/or Administrators
Moderators past and present have been instrumental in shaping this site as it is today.

What we look for in moderators?

There is no set criteria or checklist (like post count) used for appointing moderators. It’s about you as a whole. However, typical moderators have:
  • made a substantial and sustained contribution to the forums and/or resources of this site
  • a positive and respected standing amongst the student community and to existing moderators
  • reasonably active levels of engagement across our forums and will sustain this going forward
  • demonstrated maturity and integrity in their decisions and treatment of users
  • well rounded knowledge of one or more HSC subjects (not essential but advantageous)
We will consider the quality of the responses to the questions below, your posting/warning history and other factors deemed important to the application.

How to apply?

If you are interested in becoming a moderator, you should respond to the questions below and post it in the Contact Moderators Forum with the title "Moderator application".

1. Your name and username
2. Why do you want to be a moderator?
3. What attributes will you bring to the Bored of Studies team as a moderator? Provide some supporting examples where appropriate.
4. Outline the contributions you have made to the Bored of Studies forums and/or resources. Link to specific examples where appropriate.
5. Outline details of any alt accounts and other past or present moderator/admin experience for other websites (especially HSC related ones). You must disclose all of these transparently.
6. Any other information you would like to add that is relevant to your application.

Your application will be discussed by the team before a decision is made and notified to you by an Administrator. If you are successful, then welcome to the team! If you are unsuccessful, we recommend you take our feedback on board and apply again at some point in the future.

PS: Recent HSC graduates are particularly welcome to apply!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you want to be part of the Bored of Studies team? :bosman:

Ever since 2002, Bored of Studies has been committed to helping students in one of the most important years of their lives. We are proud to be making a difference to the student community for so many years and will strive to continue doing so in the years to come.

We are now looking for new moderators to join our team.

Description and responsibilities

Moderators are users who manage the day-to-day affairs of our forums. All moderators are in a volunteering position with the following responsibilities:
  • Enforcing our site's rules and principles, which involves monitoring, editing or deleting posts/resources as well as warning users where appropriate
  • Maintaining a positive environment, promoting useful and constructive discussions in the forums
  • Responding to user concerns and queries related to this site
  • Contributing to Bored of Studies' intiatives as guided by Senior moderators and/or Administrators
Moderators past and present have been instrumental in shaping this site as it is today.

What we look for in moderators?

There is no set criteria or checklist used for appointing moderators. However, typical moderators have:
  • made a substantial and sustained contribution to the forums and/or resources of this site
  • a positive and respected standing amongst the student community and to existing moderators
  • reasonably active levels of engagement across our forums and will sustain this going forward
  • demonstrated maturity and integrity in their decisions and treatment of users
  • well rounded knowledge of one or more HSC subjects (not essential but advantageous)
We will consider the quality of the responses to the questions below, your posting/warning history and other factors deemed important to the application.

How to apply?

If you are interested in becoming a moderator, you should respond to the questions below and post it in the Contact Moderators Forum with the title "Moderator application".

1. Your name and username
2. Why do you want to be a moderator?
3. What attributes will you bring to the Bored of Studies team as a moderator? Provide some supporting examples where appropriate.
4. Outline the contributions you have made to the Bored of Studies forums and/or resources. Link to specific examples where appropriate.
5. Any other information you would like to add that is relevant to your application?

Your application will be discussed by the team before a decision is made and notified to you by an Administrator. If you are successful, then welcome to the team! If you are unsuccessful, we recommend you take our feedback on board and apply again at some point in the future.

We encourage you to submit an application before 30 November 2019.

PS: Recent HSC graduates are particularly welcome to apply!
I would love to but I don't think my post count is high enough. Should I even try applying with such a low number of posts?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Best wishes to those who apply. It’s a great experience and I enjoyed my time as a BoS mod back in my younger days!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I would love to but I don't think my post count is high enough. Should I even try applying with such a low number of posts?
As mentioned in the post, there is no hard checklist (like post count) used to recruit a moderator. Either way, quality of the posts would matter over quantity.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Bump!

FYI we are looking for multiple moderators...

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I applied, anyone else here who did? I don't think I really stand a good chance but it would be awesome on the very small chance I have haha.

hschelper01

HSC
So - if somebody were to say...apply to become a moderator... Would it matter if they only just (recently) started their account? :oops::rolleyes:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
So - if somebody were to say...apply to become a moderator... Would it matter if they only just (recently) started their account? :oops::rolleyes:
More so Indirectly. You need to have demonstrated consistent activity which you can't really if your account only just got created. I would say after a few months of consistent activity someone could be a good candidate!

hschelper01

HSC
More so Indirectly. You need to have demonstrated consistent activity which you can't really if your account only just got created. I would say after a few months of consistent activity someone could be a good candidate!
Ahhh right ok thanks!!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
you would need to be on the forum for at least 12 months i reckon.
(thats my own judgement, but there are other factors to consider)
see below -->

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
you would need to be on the forum for at least 12 months i reckon.
To elaborate, we consider/discuss and democratically vote on every application. There is no set criteria like that, but the team will definitely look into posts (quality, but also quantity), account creation date, but also how active the user was etc.

I personally think the actual raw post quantity or account creation date doesn't tell as much as post quality or sustained activity does. But with few posts or a short duration on the site, it is much harder to prove sustained quality contribution.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
likelihood of a non-hsc graduate being mod?
Wouldn't factor into the decision directly. If anything (given the nature of this website) the closer you are to the HSC in some way, the better.

But I think it's generally easier for a graduate to demonstrate the characteristics we look for as they've used the site throughout the hsc/school and have a good knowledge of both how the forum and high school/hsc works.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst I'm not a mod, I'd also ask the natural question of why someone would want to be a mod... I wouldn't assume that you would or wouldn't get it either, but I think the other factors mentioned in this topic already are a good indicator. I think the other key message is if your objective is to contribute to the site, there's plenty of ways to do so whether you're a mod or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)