Web Design / Development (1 Viewer)

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
How do you break into the web design & development industry?

Is there any non-uni courses you can do? Do you need to teach yourself everything?

Ive been teaching myself bits and peices for 3 years but now that the HSC is over I want to get serious...

I tried to do a diploma at tafe but all the areas they offer it at are too far away!

Does anyone know what to do to start a career in this field?

Thanks

Winston

HSC
I'd say pick a steady language program in it for a few months start a nice portfolio up as well.

MrMiK

:S web design and development industry.. hmm
graphic design courses may help it look swanky...
but yer a portfolio and a language would help alot.
Many people are doing web design as their own employer, its hard to get into it any other way (since everyone else has access to the resources) if your not like.. integrating it with a specific system.
But think of it like art work (since it is a creative product) you have to be constantly trying to sell what you create, and explaining why it is good etc etc..

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i did a VET course at school and it was the Interactive Multimedia Cert.. 2 i think.. and we learnt photoshop, flash, dreamweaver and all that sorta stuff.. but yeah you should try talking to some proffessionals, give them a call or yeah i think tafe might be the best to actually get serious about it, if u dont wanna go to uni, cos tafe is apparently more practical, orif u know the basics, try do work experience for a web design company and u can ask them heaps of stuff and see what the real work involves..
good luck :)

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
you can teach yourself everything.. i know only basics like HTML, Javascript, VB, Dreamweaver, Flash etc.. but if i wanted to i could learn C++, Perl.. anything. you don't really need tafe or tuition, just some spare time and unrestricted access to the internet.

Flash is becoming a more popular thing in IT, but the standard is also becoming higher and thats where creative instinct comes in handy.. you may know the software inside out but if you cant use your imagination or creativity then your screwed.

And Portfolio's are essential. Especially if you want to go do IT @ UTS.

Henderson

How much would you ask for?

I am looking to hire someone to make a simple website.

It involves creating forms - to purchase items over the internet.

I am wondering how much a starting web designer would ask for. I would just like to get an idea of the price.

Thanks!

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
$500+

Anything else and you are ripping yourself off...
I suppose it depends on who and what you are doing, but remember YOU have to pay for domain registration, and the initial hosting setup (which will probably come to about $250-300 in itself depending on how you do this)
For hosting, its good to provide a year (or so) 'free' for the person you are doing the site for, and that's where this cost comes from.
By 'free', I mean you jack your price up another $250 and then they get it 'free'. Same deal for domain rego.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)