Welcome NEW IT/Comp Sci section (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Well, finally a new section!

We should celebrate and hopefully many of our compsci students or professional can bring thoughts into this section. =P

T

timbk2

Welcome!

Brief intro... im doing BscIT at UTS and im currently in my 4th year.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
BCompSc/B Arts at UOW. Second year.
My CompSc majors are Digital Systems Security and Distributed Systems.

Hi everybody. :)

pogiangel

HSC
Me too.

Just followin suit. :cool:

B. Comp Sc / B. Creative Arts

That is, if you didnt see in my lovely sig. haha.

Hope to be asking lots of stupid (but related) questions here.

Cheers, Jerome

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
BE (Software Engineering) @ UNSW
In 3rd year (out of 4 years)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
yay a forum for the uni people who get accused of "playing computer games all day" :) I did CS, didn't like it, switched to IT, go IT yay!

On a different note, anyone notice how the universities are starting to deliver more practical/vocational CS and IT rather than academic theory? Especially vendor specific stuff.

doe

HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
yOn a different note, anyone notice how the universities are starting to deliver more practical/vocational CS and IT rather than academic theory? Especially vendor specific stuff.
yep. it will end in tears. academics should not try to teach practical skills. companies who can hire graduate IT people and pay them less than brickies labourers should be able to commit to 3 to 6 months of practical training, which is all that is required. better than some pie in the sky academic teaching a dumbed down, incorrect and out of date version of whatever they guess is relevant to industry.

another reason is vendors often pay large sums of money to computing departments, which leads to bias. i know microsoft sponsor one or two staff members at macquarie and a research group, and have heard of similar dealings at usyd.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i'm prolly counted as IT, but why no engineering section?

EDIT: no science either :s

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
On a different note, anyone notice how the universities are starting to deliver more practical/vocational CS and IT rather than academic theory? Especially vendor specific stuff.
Note that this depends on the uni. Although this seems to be the case at UTS and USyd (based on conversations with friends), UNSW is still very much acedimic, not bowing to the hype of new stuff (no .net taught for instance)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
McLake said:
Note that this depends on the uni. Although this seems to be the case at UTS and USyd (based on conversations with friends), UNSW is still very much acedimic, not bowing to the hype of new stuff (no .net taught for instance)
UOW has .NET users group that sends spam :D

ziggyboy

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
yay a forum for the uni people who get accused of "playing computer games all day" :) I did CS, didn't like it, switched to IT, go IT yay!

UOW is starting to do this. In the past 5 years they have removed 2 subjects considered core by IEEE and ACM: computer organisation (CSCI131) and computer architecture (CSCI234).

I have only seen 3 unis in Australia maintain the original CS curriculum: Curtin (WA), UNSW and Adelaide.

fatmuscle

HSC
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology / Diploma in Information Technology Professional Practice

4th Year.

I have absolutely no idea who would want to employ me with my degree.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
fatmuscle said:
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology / Diploma in Information Technology Professional Practice

4th Year.

I have absolutely no idea who would want to employ me with my degree.
go work for google

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)