Were israel's actions excessive? (1 Viewer)

Was the israeli response in GAZA and LEBANON Over The Top (OTT)?

• YES

Votes: 53 58.9%
  • NO

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • DONT REALLY CARE WHAT HAPPENS IN THAT REGION

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Was israel's actions excessive and disproportionate towards Lebanon and GAZA?

MY view is this:

I think that taking back a country (regardless of who happen to inhabit there including 3000 Aussies) 20 years is wrong... considering all the world community had done to repair the carnage of civil wars and the previous israeli occupation of southern Lebanon

having said that... any side that strikes at civilians is doing something wrong and needs to be condemned. Giving prior warning before a killing is not an excuse- it never has been an excuse where the targets were civilian in nature.

If Hizbullah does anything immoral and illegal- it too needs to be condemned (on both sides) and i dont support everything that they do- this thread is about the people living under oppression and poverty in Gaza and impoverishment in Lebanon- the civilian populations

REgardless which side your on- separate the bigger issue from this issue: Has israel been excessive in its response?

if you vote yes: state how you think they should have legitimately responded

If you vote no: then state how far they would have gone before you would have voted "yes"

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
well, it would seem over the top considering how many troops are being held by both sides which are unknown to anyone. these couple shouldnt have made anything worse because there's more from where they came from and probably alot more where they're going which no one seemed to care about.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
For once I finally believe that Israel has taken their right to self defence way too far. I have family caught in the conflict in bomb shelters but I do believe that they are thousands worse off on the other side.

Whilst I held the thought Israel had a right to exist, it seems it will be impossible to maintain this goal, as it was an absolute mess from the get go. 1948, 1967, 1975, 1982, 1993, 2001 and now 2006 if Israelis only want to live in war, they will get it. If you build a house on shitty foundations it will come crashing down.

My cousins are considering moving back to Australia once they can escape out of Haifa. I wish the best for anyone who has relatives/friends/companions in the region that they are safe regardless of what side.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Yes, overly excessive.

Innocent people will continue dying unless another country intervenes. Israel has gone over the top this time, bombing civilian towns and cities. Causing mayhem in Lebanon, detering its tourists and killing innocent civilians.

I seriously condemn, and curse all those who support the attacking of Lebanon. Hezbollah is not a terrorist organisation, they're freedom fighters. Currently there is a war in Lebanon. This, could honestly be the start of the World War 3.

There should be a BBC broadcast in two hours with the view of Putin, and shortly after French Prime Minister. Lebanon isn't another Iraq, it's a democratic country, with STRONG links to other powers.

I say Australia should support Lebanon. (And I damn the minority of Australians, Who I'm ashamed to even class as Australians On these boards who are supporting the Israeli attacks)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
When one Israeli soldier is kidnapped, the whole world goes crazy, but Israel kidnapped a whole nation. - Mike (From BBC HaveYouSay)

I think Israel is the terrorist today, Unless... You're trying to suggest that it's only terrorism when it's done on a Western country. (Since Lebanon is Sovereign, Democratic, and Independant.)

Last edited by a moderator:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
littlewing69 said:
ROFLCOPTER.

Call up the Reserves!
Howard, claimed he wanted to recruit 10,000 soldiers. If Howard showed his support to Lebanon (with peace keeping or something), I would gurantee thousands of young Australian men (with Lebanese backgrounds), would feel obliged to go and help Lebanon as well as be more nationalistic and Join the army.

I think you would agree of the perserverance and strength of a Lebanese soldier. I mean, they were able to push back the Israelis serveral times (with small militias).

Add that with the technological adaptation and break-neck reflexes of Video Games and other Sports and you have a perfect Soldier.

L

littlewing69

sam04u said:
Howard, claimed he wanted to recruit 10,000 soldiers. If Howard showed his support to Lebanon (with peace keeping or something), I would gurantee thousands of young Australian men (with Lebanese backgrounds), would feel obliged to go and help Lebanon as well as be more nationalistic and Join the army.

I think you would agree of the perserverance and strength of a Lebanese soldier. I mean, they were able to push back the Israelis serveral times (with small militias).

Add that with the technological adaptation and break-neck reflexes of Video Games and other Sports and you have a perfect Soldier.
1.) Don't be daft. We'll do whatever the hell the U.S does. The U.S. will support Israel.

2.) The last thing we want is people joining the Australian Army only because they want to fight on behalf of another country.

3.) Video games aren't a sport.

4.) Video games make you fat and pasty, not strong and courageous.

ZabZu

HSC
sam04u said:
Hezbollah is not a terrorist organisation, they're freedom fighters.
Hezbollah's goal in the 1980s was to get Israel out of Lebanon, in this case they are freedom fighters. But Israel withdrew in 2000 (except theres this disagreement over the Sheba farms area).

I view Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation because of its determination to destroy Israel and other issues. Groups like Hezbollah and Hamas try to hide their extreme ideology behind their social work for their people. Impoverished people who dont support their goals like them because of their help.

Hezbollah launched a unprovoked attack on Israel in which 8 Israeli soldiers were killed and 2 captured. Obviously they did it to support their allies in Gaza but Israel did nothing to Hezbollah itself to be attacked.

On the other side of things, Israel has gone too far in its bombing of Lebanon. Too many innocent Lebanese are being killed and its destroying the country.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
I seriously condemn, and curse all those who support the attacking of Lebanon. Hezbollah is not a terrorist organisation, they're freedom fighters. Currently there is a war in Lebanon. This, could honestly be the start of the World War 3.
Freedom fighters who are unauthorised by the democratic institution of Lebanon, or did you forget that you called Lebanon sovering, democratic. Also given they recieve training and weapons off Syria I highly doubt they have best intentions at heart. One of the condiitons Israel wants is the Lebenese army to patrol the border, not a random militia which is completly understandable.

sam04u said:
No, I think you will find that guerilla tactics in an environement you know much better enables you to beat back much larger numbers, even if you take heavy losses yourself. Do not generalise it the Lebenese have nothing particularly good about them for soldiering.

Israel is going to far, however, unlike Hezbollah they aren't deliberatly attacking civilians although they seem to be killing more in their strikes :(

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Why are you defending Israels intentions? We have Australian in Lebanon now. 25,000 to be exact. Also, the Israelis bombed the International Airport, leaving them stranded. They're using this as an exuse to crusade into Lebanon and Destroy it's capability of being a beautiful tourist attraction because of it's cultural adversity.

Israel don't even recognise Australia, they're so arrogant with the US's adamant support. They should know how it feels, this a repeat of the holocaust but this time it's the Arab's blood. Too long have the Israelis played 'victim', this time they're the aggressors occupying the Palestinians land over a 3,000 year old landright. This is the Crusades all over again and it's up to us as bystanders to support one of the sides.

Australian people are and will always be linked to the tiny country of Lebanon (which is filled with controversy). A population of only 3,000,000 being targetted by Israel.

Why do we have to be the Americans Bitch? When AUSTRALIANS are being ENDAGERED by ISRAELIS! (USE LOGIC)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
sam04u said:
Why are you defending Israels intentions? We have Australian in Lebanon now. 25,000 to be exact. Also, the Israelis bombed the International Airport, leaving them stranded. They're using this as an exuse to crusade into Lebanon and Destroy it's capability of being a beautiful tourist attraction because of it's cultural adversity.

Israel don't even recognise Australia, they're so arrogant with the US's adamant support. They should know how it feels, this a repeat of the holocaust but this time it's the Arab's blood. Too long have the Israelis played 'victim', this time they're the aggressors occupying the Palestinians land over a 3,000 year old landright. This is the Crusades all over again and it's up to us as bystanders to support one of the sides.

Australian people are and will always be linked to the tiny country of Lebanon (which is filled with controversy). A population of only 3,000,000 being targetted by Israel.

Why do we have to be the Americans Bitch? When AUSTRALIANS are being ENDAGERED by ISRAELIS! (USE LOGIC)
You ask "Why are you defending Israels intentions?", I ask "Why are you defending Hezbollah's intentions?". You aren't defending Lebanon, you're defending a terrorist group..oh I'm sorry, as you worded it: 'freedom fighters'.

Your argument seems to be that (and I quote):They're using this as an exuse to crusade into Lebanon and Destroy it's capability of being a beautiful tourist attraction because of it's cultural adversity. SO, basically what you're saying is that Israel is just jealous of Lebanon's capability to become a nice tourist attraction? Please. Maybe the countless suicide bombers and attacks (purposely) targeted at civilians has something to do with why Israel is so pissed off.

My grandparents died in the holocaust, as did most of my original European-descendants. I find it sickening that you would say: This a repeat of the holocaust but this time it's the Arab's blood. No more than 90 people have died, and you're saying it's a holocaust repeat? In case you've forgotten nearly 20 million people died in the holocaust, and that's almost 5 times the population of Lebanon (accord. to recent population surveys).

Why do we have to be the Americans Bitch? Probably because they're the worlds biggest superpower. And until they're taken over by China, politically speaking - Australia won't stop kissing their ass. No matter what the cost. It guarantees an ally, no matter how rude or arrogant they are. That's life, that's politics. Latin for ass-kissing.

ZabZu

HSC
sam04u said:
If Israel allowed air, land and sea transport to proceed, the 2 captured soldiers would be flown to Iran where Israel would have no chance of rescuing them. Also, thousands of Arabs would enter Lebanon to fight the Israelis.

It would be in the best interest of Lebanon's tourism industry if the Lebanese people told Hezbollah that they dont agree with their objectives and told them to disarm. Israel wont attack Lebanon if they arent harbouring enemies of Israel, who are threating.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sam04u said:

The fact that lives are Australian somehow makes them more valuable?
EDIT: 3000 year old landright? Didn't Muhammad and his merry crew slaughter the Jews and drive them out of Israel sometime between 700-1000AD (unsure of exact dates)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)