Werid Question? Average Rank Overall? But did Very well in Trials? Influence on ATAR (1 Viewer)

qwertywerido

HSC
Okay, so I am doing Advanced Maths right, my overall rank is 18/38. But I got 5/38 in my Trials. My teach keeps on telling me that if I do as well as I did in the Trial- they will 'take me out' and then 'put me in the 'right' spot'. Is this true?

Been looking at resources on NESA, they have nothing actually telling me this so?? On the other hand, I am going what is the point anymore if your rank determines your HSC mark anyway?

THANKS

dasfas

HSC
Uhhh, that's not how it should work. All your assessments count for some % of your internal mark, which gets aggregated and then ranks you in your cohort. Your school reports this rank to NESA for internal marks moderation.

It seems like your school isn't really respecting this and may be fudging the results by overly skewing the ranks towards trials (which isn't officially allowed - max % is 30% I think).

Regardless, stop overthinking it, you can't predict your mark nor your HSC mark. Just do the best you can and you'll be okay.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Uhhh, that's not how it should work. All your assessments count for some % of your internal mark, which gets aggregated and then ranks you in your cohort. Your school reports this rank to NESA for internal marks moderation.

It seems like your school isn't really respecting this and may be fudging the results by overly skewing the ranks towards trials (which isn't officially allowed - max % is 30% I think).

Regardless, stop overthinking it, you can't predict your mark nor your HSC mark. Just do the best you can and you'll be okay.
Where does it say that max trial percent is 30%? As far as I know the school can adjust the weightings to however percent they please. Some schools have trials as 40-50%. Which would make sense since almost all the content is being examined.

specificagent1

HSC
Where does it say that max trial percent is 30%? As far as I know the school can adjust the weightings to however percent they please. Some schools have trials as 40-50%. Which would make sense since almost all the content is being examined.
nesa has asignment policy for each subject that stipulates how much one task can be worth up to

specificagent1

HSC
like for example math advance:
"The Year 12 formal school-based assessment program is to reflect the following requirements:

• a maximum of four assessment tasks
  • the minimum weighting for an individual task is 10%
  • the maximum weighting for an individual task is 40%
  • only one task may be a formal written examination with a maximum weighting of 30%
  • one task must be an assignment or investigation-style task with a weighting of 15–30% "

qwertywerido

HSC
Okay, so I am doing Advanced Maths right, my overall rank is 18/38. But I got 5/38 in my Trials. My teach keeps on telling me that if I do as well as I did in the Trial- they will 'take me out' and then 'put me in the 'right' spot'. Is this true?

Been looking at resources on NESA, they have nothing actually telling me this so?? On the other hand, I am going what is the point anymore if your rank determines your HSC mark anyway?

THANKS
Okay sorry this was really badly explained- I meant that if I 'somehow' manage to really well in the HSC exams in getting 5th place in my school. 'they' not my school, the official moderator team with mess around with the rankings

dasfas

HSC
Okay sorry this was really badly explained- I meant that if I 'somehow' manage to really well in the HSC exams in getting 5th place in my school. 'they' not my school, the official moderator team with mess around with the rankings
That's not how it works, sorry.

My gf got the highest mark in the state in externals for a subject, but her internal mark was significantly lower because she didn't do as well in her assessments. There was no "messing with the rankings" by the moderating team. Her internal ranks were unchanged.

vishnay

God
HSC
why do teachers feel the need to spew random shit like this?

a good chunk of teachers don't know what they're talking about in regards to the hsc so i would suggest you do your own research

ffs i had an english teacher who said if a 4u maths cohort performs badly in externals then 4u maths scales bad for them and the rest of the state gets scaled up

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
why do teachers feel the need to spew random shit like this?

a good chunk of teachers don't know what they're talking about in regards to the hsc so i would suggest you do your own research

ffs i had an english teacher who said if a 4u maths cohort performs badly in externals then 4u maths scales bad for them and the rest of the state gets scaled up
my teachers have said that if you're ranked first internally, then you're given the highest external mark...
Is that true or are they just saying dumb shit?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
my teachers have said that if you're ranked first internally, then you're given the highest external mark...
Is that true or are they just saying dumb shit?
ye they are right

if highest externally regardless of their internal rank gets 98 but you bomb out and just scrape 90 you get 94 as ur final mark for a subject as its the avg between the 2

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
ye they are right

if highest externally regardless of their internal rank gets 98 but you bomb out and just scrape 90 you get 94 as ur final mark for a subject as its the avg between the 2
ohh okay. so its like a 50:50 ratio? this applies regardless of whatever score I get right?

e.g. if the highest is 98 and i get 80 - then I would get a final external rank of 89?

idkkdi

HSC
That's not how it works, sorry.

My gf got the highest mark in the state in externals for a subject, but her internal mark was significantly lower because she didn't do as well in her assessments. There was no "messing with the rankings" by the moderating team. Her internal ranks were unchanged.
flex, has a gf. wow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)