what can i do for a pre-study for yr 11 math extention 1? (1 Viewer)

JesusChriiii

HSC
just wondering if there is any textbook or excercise book recommended for yr1 math ext1? I was going to buy an excel because all excel books seem to be high quality for me but i coulnd't find it at all after going to dymocks in chatswood and macquare, while i did find excel books for all my other subjects. I am doing quite well in my math class now in yr 10, in the top class and came in top 3 every exam, but i don't want to be left behind next year so i think it is necessary to do a pre-studying.
I am just in a normal public high school so i don' t think doing extra hard stuff is necessary thoug.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Go to the next Lifeline Book Sale(held more than 4 times a year) and pick up a 2nd hand copy of Cambridge HSC Maths Ext 1 Yr 11 and Yr 12 (Bill Pender, et al) for under $10 each. There is a new version of these 2 books (combined in 1 volume?) that follows the new syllabus. But you get lots of the new syllabus in the old books. You can use the current texts later.

Why not do it the cheap way. Or if you can afford it, I can teach you 1-on-1 for only $120/lesson(more for Ext 2) at my place. I'd rather you save your money.

Last edited:

JesusChriiii

HSC
Go to the next Lifeline Book Sale(held more than 4 times a year) and pick up a 2nd hand copy of Cambridge HSC Maths Ext 1 Yr 11 and Yr 12 (Bill Pender, et al) for under $10 each. There i a new version of these 2 books (combined in 1 volume?) that follows the new syllabus. But you get lots of the new syllabus in the old books. You can use the current texts later.

Why not do it the cheap way. Or if you can afford it, I can teach you 1-on-1 for only $120/lesson(more for Ext 2) at my place. I'd rather you save your money.
thank you mate, but my school actually uses math in focus as a text book but not canbridge, would buying a cambridge textbook be inappropriate?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
thank you mate, but my school actually uses math in focus as a text book but not canbridge, would buying a cambridge textbook be inappropriate?
Rofl inappropriate? Didn't think a math textbook could offend people.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
It is a crime to use the MathInFocus textbook. It's so useless that it should be actually be made illegal. If your aiming for E4 please for the love of god get another textbook... Don't bother with homework given from MIF, I never did a single bit of HW my teacher gave me from that

JesusChriiii

HSC
Rofl inappropriate? Didn't think a math textbook could offend people.
sorry i didn't mean that, i just thought if using a different textbook from the school one would be okay, for example, do these two textbooks contain the same or similiar content?

JesusChriiii

HSC
It is a crime to use the MathInFocus textbook. It's so useless that it should be actually be made illegal. If your aiming for E4 please for the love of god get another textbook... Don't bother with homework given from MIF, I never did a single bit of HW my teacher gave me from that
lol yeah my teacher never used the textbook as the source of teaching she always made her own ppt, but she often gave homework from the textbook though

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
There is no harm having a number of different textbooks, including the old ones. If you pick them up at Lifeline Book Sale, you can get various texts cheap. Because of the new syllabus, many have stopped buying these old textbooks, written for the now-old syllabus. But that's silly. They still contain useful content, some of which are still directly relevant for the new syllabus.

As for the much-despised Maths in Focus, I've been wondering why so many schools have adopted them. I think it is because the treatment in not very in-depth, so that the are more student-friendly for the vast majority, who'd find Cambridge bewildering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)