• Best of luck to the class of 2019 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • Like us on facebook here

What classifies a Band 6? (1 Viewer)

_Anonymous

HSC
I'm a bit confused as to what classifies a Band 6. I've always thought that it was a 90+ mark in the HSC exam but apparently that is often not the case. So what does a Band 6 mean and if the mark to achieve it is not 90+, then if a Band 6 were to be hypothetically 75; how would people with multiple Band 6's (i.e. 75's) get 99 ATARs?

D94

HSC
N/A
90 overall mark, i.e. average of HSC exam mark and assessment mark.

HSC mark of 90 is not the same as the raw mark you need to get. 90 or a Band 6 means you've achieved the exam and school marks required to meet the standards of what is considered a Band 6. A course might only require 75% in order to meet what is considered a Band 6 standard. A standards panel will determine what marks are needed to achieve a Band 6, Band 5, etc.

The ATAR is a completely different score, in fact, it's not a score, it's a rank. If your marks are better than someone else, your ATAR will be higher. If your marks are better than everyone in the state, you'll get 99.95 which is effectively position 1. But since the ATAR is grouped in 0.05 increments, you'll be grouped with 30-50 other students on that same ATAR.

You should read up on the moderation process (NESA), aligning process (NESA) and scaling process (UAC). These are different processes that determine your HSC mark (NESA) and your ATAR (UAC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)