What course are you doing/ what are you majoring in? What would you recommend? (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
I'm transferring to B of IT next year at MQ. It's an internal transfer which makes it easier although I'll probably have to go to tafe/ a private college if I can't transfer.

I don't know what to choose as a major. I have less than a week left to decide. I originally planned on cyber sec purely out of surface interest but I've asked around and apparently it's still very new compared to everything else and it's safer to do something more general first.

While the main idea is the do something that I'd like, I'm not too sure about what I like right now. Job prospects are also something I need to be mindful of too.

My options right now are:
- Cyber sec
- Data science
- Info sys and business analysis
- Software tech
- Web design and dev

I have been recommended to do a software engineering degree instead to get some practical skills and then go for postgrad or study something extra with a minor in cyber security. Not sure if that's a good idea or not though. Is software tech better for something more general/ common? Pretty unsure/ unfamiliar with the IT realm in general so I'm curious what others are doing and their thoughts on it. Would you recommend something entirely different and not go to MQ for IT stuff as a whole?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
i would recommend doing all the core subjects for your degree first (like the intro subjects) and from there you'll figure out what you like. For example I didn't have a specific field in mind when I first started engineering but I like design/materials

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
i would recommend doing all the core subjects for your degree first (like the intro subjects) and from there you'll figure out what you like. For example I didn't have a specific field in mind when I first started engineering but I like design/materials
Agreed. I thought I'd love economics given I enjoyed it in high school which made choosing two majors that much harder... but after just one semester in uni doing the first of the two core economics subjects, I knew it wasn't for me.

ShadowLighte

HSC
I would preferably do all my core units first but I need to choose a major when applying. Maybe I'll just choose whatever first and change it later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)