What degree do I need to work for a newspaper? (1 Viewer)

brbstudying

HSC
I'm guessing journalism? How well do the jobs pay? Do I need some experience now? (like writing accolades or freelance jobs)

I'm going to do some research after I finish studying tonight, but if anyone has any information/knowledge/tips, then please help? :)

Thanks guys!

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Well, journalism is a varied field that attracts a vast range of people with varied backgrounds. It is competitive, and you'll have to build up your profile and payment can see low from the first couple of years. However, having a strong skillset in language and communication is transferable to many careers. You could do a Bachelor of Media / Communication. They are offered at UTS, UNSW and Macquarie as well as other universities.

The general consensus is that you do 'experience' whilst at university but it doesn't hurt to give a lending hand at your high school's newletter. And at university, maybe try out various clubs publications.

Tip: See about combining Media / Journalism with something that interests you. What articles do you see yourself writing in newspapers? Use that as a starting point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)