what do you all think about a poem for your creative writing piece? (1 Viewer)

engie_benji

HSC
My mates tutor said it is a good idea, if it fits ofcourse. I wrote a really good poem. it has imagery, techniques everything. My teacher said it is really good but she doesnt know about doing poetry as a creative piece for the hsc because she has never marked it. Has anyone been given advice on this? Another adv is it is alot shorter than a story and would give alot more time for the other sections.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Poems are so much more difficult to write than short stories are.

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
not the best choice

you can do a short story, memoir, diary entry, feature article - but poem would be the thing you would do if you have no choice and you are desperate to get something done (i.e. in my opinion)

engie_benji

HSC
yeh i think its way too risky aswell personally, it is a free verse poem though. Ill just have to try nip up a good creative writing piece and a few seed ideas

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
My mates tutor said it is a good idea, if it fits ofcourse. I wrote a really good poem. it has imagery, techniques everything. My teacher said it is really good but she doesnt know about doing poetry as a creative piece for the hsc because she has never marked it. Has anyone been given advice on this? Another adv is it is alot shorter than a story and would give alot more time for the other sections.
it has to be AMAZING

and i'm not talking about just deep ideas amazing, it needs to be like solid ee2 quality, or ee1 if you're doing any poetry

it's generally looked down upon unless, again, it's AMAZING -> e.g. legit Romanticism-sounding poetry, etc., but it's pretty hard to do something amazing with belonging + poetry

definitely not advised by 99% of markers as it has a v high chance of going wrong especially since most poems don't exactly have a 'plot' going on unless you're planning to do a whole suite

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
No.
Unless you are a published poet, don't do it.
And even then I'd suggest against it.
It's incredibly risky.
Do a narrative, feature article, speech, diary entry, recount, etc. but don't do a poem!!!
Unless you want to fail.

aefarrugia

HSC
teacher says its a bad idea to use poems, they generally aren't very well written and/or not long enough compared to other people's creative writing stories. Stick to either a short story, journal entry or feature article.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)