What do you hate about law students? (1 Viewer)

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Knowing something inside and out often leaves room for wrong doing...

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Frigid said:
might i add the elusive place on the editorial board of the law journal. >.<
Every single person who I know interviewed for the Melbourne University Law Review got rejected, myself included.
I feel your pain.
Then again, I'm only a second year. Plenty of years left to go through the painstaking application process :\

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
EbonyTW said:
Knowing something inside and out often leaves room for wrong doing...
If a lawyer takes advantage of a hole in the law, then the law is not being broken.

Law and justice are two very, very different things. I study law.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
hfis said:
If a lawyer takes advantage of a hole in the law, then the law is not being broken.

Law and justice are two very, very different things. I study law.
Did you not read the previous posts? - That's about the wankiest thing I've ever heard.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
It's wanky to point out that not breaking the law is not, in fact, breaking the law? And that even though it sometimes seems unjust when this happens, that it's still not 'breaking the law'? And so, that to characterize lawyers as having a 'complete disregard for actual law' when they obviously do not is false?

Please, tell me why that's wanky.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
If understanding something provides an immoral opportunity to circumvent it, should I remain an inert, uneducated lump?
Seriously, if people didn't understand the law and its loopholes and problems because it would give them an opportunity for 'wrong doing', then those who make the law could get us to obey anything. And that's even worse.

doink

Clone
HSC
Well Let's see it's not against the law for doctor's to accidentally administer the wrong medicine is it? Does that mean it's ok to do it?

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
doink said:
Well Let's see it's not against the law for doctor's to accidentally administer the wrong medicine is it? Does that mean it's ok to do it?
If they weren't careful enough, hadn't done their research, if they hadn't fulfilled their duties properly, then it would indeed be against the law.
If it was a complete and utter accident, then it's not wrong in law or morality anyway.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
doink said:
It's called negligence. Hell, you could probably bring it under recklessley inflicting GBH or manslaughter, depending on the after effects.

Edit: Beaten. That's what I get for not refreshing the page before posting.

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
hfis said:
It's called negligence. Hell, you could probably bring it under recklessley inflicting GBH or manslaughter, depending on the after effects.

Edit: Beaten. That's what I get for not refreshing the page before posting.
funny how doctors can be negligent yet lawyers can't. Imagine if you could sue lawyers for defamation for everything they said in court... Wait can you?

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
doink said:
funny how doctors can be negligent yet lawyers can't. Imagine if you could sue lawyers for defamation for everything they said in court... Wait can you?
There are a lot of problems with being able to sue lawyers - not least of all that, if you could say your lawyer did or did not do something in particular, it throws the judgment into doubt and the entire case might have to be retried, and opened up again for litigation against them, and statements reused and people re-examined and the case gets endlessly thrown around in the system.
Lawyers get punished by the bar, by bad reputations, by law associations etc.

Last edited:

circusmind

HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
Did you not read the previous posts? - That's about the wankiest thing I've ever heard.
You are in your first semester of law, I assume?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
doink said:
'Professional misconduct', 'professional negligence' and 'negligent misstatements' are all terms which come to mind here. It's easy to sue a lawyer for negligence; you just can't say "oh, I lost my case because my lawyer said x instead of y (even though that's what the law at the time said they should do), therefore they're negligent."

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
hfis said:
'Professional misconduct', 'professional negligence' and 'negligent misstatements' are all terms which come to mind here. It's easy to sue a lawyer for negligence; you just can't say "oh, I lost my case because my lawyer said x instead of y (even though that's what the law at the time said they should do), therefore they're negligent."
But what about advocate's immunity?

GinoIs

HSC
Law students go through life lifting up every rock under the sun to see all the fucking dull nooks and crannies which could exploit some fundamental flaws with society. Soon enough they'll marry some rich geek, have a couple of kids, ask for a BMW & Audi, divorce him and milk all the fucking money they can. They'll find some stupid rock with some flaw and work out a way to claim 90% of his income just because the smart slut had kids with him - Yet he won't be seeing them ever again.

All you Law students are arrogant tossers who kiss arse from high-powered people yet make sure all the fucks lower than you suck your dicks.
Don't know what an Arrogant Tosser is?

The Arrogant Tosser
Arrogant tossers are derived from spoilt and rich families; arrogant tossers can also be formed due to involvement in prestigious groups and organizations e.g. rowing club, hockey club, computer club, etc. There's a fine line between pride and arrogance, but the line is crossed when they believe that in some special way, he/she is better than everyone else. The fine line is easily penetrated when individuals reach state and country levels in sporting.
Style and fashion varies among all arrogant tossers. As a general rule of thumb, arrogant tossers tend to wear clothing which affiliates with their speciality, one example are guys who wear their rugby guernsey to places which are out of character - because they're in the first team.
To determine if someone is an arrogant tosser; there are a number of key features which should stand out: they tend to walk with their head up high, chest out and with a pole up their arse. They only wear branded clothes such as Abercrombie & Fitch and they have that trademark smirk.

Dialects between arrogant tossers include bullshit jargon about absolutely shit and any topic which allows them to reaffirm that they're better than you (which they're not).
Arrogant tossers never travel alone but rather in herds.
The pretentious fucks think they're top shit yet everyday they complain about the work-load, how they can't go out and party and socialize.

Bloody scums of humanity. Go sue your drycleaners for losing you're 50cent suit.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
doink said:
That is actually incorrect, doctors can be held negligent . A cardiothoracic surgeon was once sued $8 million , here in Australia because he did an incorrect procedure during open heart surgery.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
GinoIs said:
yet make sure all the fucks lower than you suck your dicks.
sorry, GinoIs, have your knees been hitting the pavement too often because of us?

it's funny how this thread has turned from pet hates about law students by law students to an unrestrained, irrational and stereotypical lawyer bash. :hammer:

and to labour the obvious: all judges were once lawyers. some politicians were once lawyers. if what you say is true, shouldn't we be a little worried about our country?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)