What do you think the 'big' questions will entail? (1 Viewer)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
What do you think they will ask us for those 4-6 mark questions (that aren't algorithms)?

I'm hoping for some feasibility or implementation questions. What do you think they'll ask?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
They always seem to ask like 4-marker questions on things that are only covered in about 2 or 3 lines in the textbooks. I hate that

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I hate that there are no simple 1-mark questions, like.. What is benchmarking? or something similar. They at least build up confidence for the 4-mark questions.

chris42

HSC
Originally posted by Lundy
They always seem to ask like 4-marker questions on things that are only covered in about 2 or 3 lines in the textbooks. I hate that
Yeah that's what happens in most subjects.. In PDHPE they did the same thing :(

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I mean fair enough, it's in the syllabus and all so they have the right to ask it, but seriously....am I supposed to just waffle on for half a page for something that shouldn't be worth so many marks?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
The course would be about 10 times funner if they scrapped algorithms completely and made it a theory exam. Assessments should be 100% programming, HSC exam should be 100% theory. Doesn't that make sense?

haz_it_all

Originally posted by honky tonk
The course would be about 10 times funner if they scrapped algorithms completely and made it a theory exam. Assessments should be 100% programming, HSC exam should be 100% theory. Doesn't that make sense?
no

new1

no it doesnt make sense

software design and development. u wanna scrap the design bit from the hsc test?! thats ludacris. fair enough that its hard and we dont get much time to do em all, but if they made it all theory they would have to add useless crap like what they have done to the physics course, its like half history and all the models that ppl got wrong. Software algorithms and useful part of the course and used wen we get a job, which is more than i can say for components of other syllabai

my bet for big question is about team management

new1

no it doesnt make sense

software design and development. u wanna scrap the design bit from the hsc test?! thats ludacris. fair enough that its hard and we dont get much time to do em all, but if they made it all theory they would have to add useless crap like what they have done to the physics course, its like half history and all the models that ppl got wrong. Software algorithms and useful part of the course and used wen we get a job, which is more than i can say for components of other syllabai

my bet for big question is about team management

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If they wanted to focuz this much on algorithsm in the HSC as they do now, they should try make it seem like it is in the textbooks.

Most textbooks only go in small depth of sorts/searches and a few algorithms here and there but nothing that really teaches it well.

mattyb

HSC
the exam should be ALL algorithms. and there should be a few major projects instead of one.
yeah, you heard me.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Originally posted by mattyb
the exam should be ALL algorithms. and there should be a few major projects instead of one.
I like the idea of more than one major project.. if we had a few more months, of course. :p

mattyb

HSC
forsure... see any real programmer. ask if they learnt to program by quoting social and ethical issues. they will laugh at you

Glide

I agree, in reality, most of it is bullshit... But who the hell wants to write out algorithms for 3 hours?

I'ld much rather write out bullshit than that :)

mattyb

HSC
yeah i guess. but dont u get a feeling of satisfaction when u get a really hard algorithm out, and you know it works 100% and is tight as hell?
plus its more constructive than couging up answers. and once u get the method downpat, you can't fail. easy marks.

MrMiK

yeh but social and ethical issues are like the "official" stuff u gota kno.. like what should be common knowledge.. especially now with all these ppl on the "equal rights" high.. "discrimination" etc etc

BUT.. i think Mattyb's got a good idea.. becuase if all we did was algorithms.. we would be pro by HSC time..
programming is more practical .. and better for portfolios etc etc..
more design work because creative stuff is MUCH easier to bullshit with..
..i do art.. 99% of what i write is bullshit :)...

mattyb

HSC
true, i see ur point. a lot of it does have some relevence (ie development approaches). but in terms of generating good coders, the only way is to chuck the little fellers in the deep end and start writing.
nice to see one person who agrees with my crazy sdd ideas

MrMiK

yer. i hav a feeling they are trying to make this course a crossbreed of coder and management...
more leaning towards management tho.. bloody legal issues.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I guess it just really irritates me because I do (or did) IPT, and I was told at the beginning of Year 11 that IPT focussed on theory, and SDD focussed on practical work. Considering only 1 period (40 minutes) out of 6 a week were actually on computers, I'd hardly say it was the course's main focus. :(

*LoL* What am I whinging for? In just under 19 hours, I'll be done with Software Design forever! :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)