What do you want to do when you graduate? (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

So why did you choose to study IT?
What do you want to be when you finsih your degree?

Programmer?

Network admin?

IT consultant?

Web programmer?

Technical/Customer Support?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Majoring in Software Development, Information Systems and Computer Science. Hoping to become programmer and then move up the ranks to project manager

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm.. i still dont know.. definitely not a full on programmer.. may b an IT consultant, web designer/developer or tech/customer support.. meh ask me again at the end of the yr..

adsta

HSC
I want to become a manager at kmart.
Nah, actually I have no idea. I've still got till the end of the year I guess. At the moment I wouldn't mind becoming a sys admin or programmer.

ziggyboy

HSC
Do a postgraduate degree and eventually get into research work in a networking or security company.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I want to get into software development, preferably using the .NET framework (which seems big atm in most companies I've talked to which is good).

T

timbk2

i've been doin alot of .Net development over the last 1.5 years at work.. pretty handy stuff.
pretty easy to learn but.

iTCHeZ

Da Fei GHeY
HSC
So why did you choose to study IT?

What do you want to be when you finsih your degree?

I basically chose IT since I had no idea what I wanted to do although I really have no interest- like nor dislike in IT whatsoever. I guess i chose IT since a few of my friends in highschool chose IT...and oh yea...because of my UAI...low low low... Now don't get me wrong, I still have no idea what my interests lie in...I'm just passing time until what I feel is right for me. Better to be doing something than nothing although I would enjoy doing nothing everyday.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
IT was basically the only thing I really wanted to do since I was in high school. The only other thing I could see myself in is Science, but even then it would be based on computational science. I chose IT at USYD as opposed to the equivalents in other unis as it allowed me to configure my degree as i liked it, allowing me to do some physics, maths, bio etc that is not core. This is also handy should I want to come back to uni and do something like a science degree since almost all my units would also count towards a science degree.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I'm in IT for the money, oh and the women........ I wish.

I enjoy working in the industry and IT is one of the few industries where you can make a lot of return with little outlay if you have a decent concept and motivation.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
carrotz said:
eeek software development jase? sounds hard :S
Well out of everything I've learnt at uni, I find programming the easiest :p. I'd be finished by now if I hadn't picked up Business too. I always question myself as to why I decided to do Accounting as well, but then I remind myself that I'm doing it because its useful and it serves as a backup, but I'm more interested in IT. I'm considering a combined IT/Business type job too, but I think I'd prefer programming, but I have to experience it first! I have 10 years after I graduate to do my CPA/CA program in Accounting anyways, so I can always change careers later.

Why did I chose IT? Well I've always been interested in IT from about Year 8. I didn't like programming in Year 10, so I only did IPT for the HSC, though now I like programming over anything else, so go figure :p. I was interested in Accounting as well, and did the HSC VET course in Accounting at TAFE. I ended up getting into the BScIT so I did that. I wouldn't have gotten into the BBusiness degree anyways because the UAI for that was higher in 2002, so either way I would have done IT. I chose UTS because they had a new course and a new building! I don't regret my choice. I quite enjoyed my first 2 years at uni doing IT and a bit of Accounting, but I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do, so I figured I'll add on another 1.5 years and get a Business degree too. So as of 2004, I transferred into the BBusiness/BComputing combined degree. I chose the Internet Business Technology sub-major in the BScIT, though I think I would have preferred the Applications Development sub-major now so I don't have to do Internet Commerce!

Well that's all for now. Time to start applying for jobs!

pogiangel

HSC
I wanna move to abroad and become an uber trendy graphic designer / programming monkey.

gem_max

HSC
Im in training to become an IT teacher for a number of reasons:

a) There's so many poorly trained/crappy IT teachers out there that Ive got to improve the ranks
b) A lot of the computer related subjects in school have a lot of stuff in them that is rather useless compared to some of the stuff thats left out so I want to one day write syllabuses.
c) Computers at school can sometimes be really boring so I want to make it fun so that kids will like computers more and stop saying they suck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)