What English tutors do you guys recommend (English advanced)? (1 Viewer)

SnowyChimera78

HSC
Hi there,

I have been going to NGO for the past 2 years for English tutoring and wanted to go to something more focused on the student, so basically private tutoring. I was wondering if you guys could recommend any private tutors that are good for English Advanced?

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Brooo, RIP my guy. I used to be in your exact position where I went to Ngo & Sons for English for like 2 years on and off. (Joined 1 term, left 1 term, joined 2 terms, left 1 year, etc.)
Tbh, as soon as I started thinking externally and more about the costs and time going into this English tutoring place, I dropped English tutoring SOOOO fast, like no joke. Any form of PUBLIC English tutoring is a waste since they provide resources, but so can the internet, BoS, teacher, older students, etc.
I'll give you some leniency if you found it fun in years 8-9 or 10. I did find it fun in year 9, ngl lol.

If you want tips, drop English tutoring for Ngo & Sons as it gets bland after year 9, decide if you REALLY need tutoring for English (As in private since it's very expensive for a good wan), and you're not in year 11 so maybe think longer. I don't do English tutoring because
1) Doesn't relate to my future university interests
2) My teacher provides a lot of resources
3) English tutoring made me feeling lazy when studying English myself, so I had to catch up on my own instead of relying on other people guiding me/providing feedback.

If you like English/100% need help with it/Aligns with future Uni choices, definitely invest time into finding the right one, whether it be online or far distance, because its good to stick with one.
Forgive me for being a bit biased but Ngo & Sons got famous from their Mathematics Course, not English.
Its annoys me how much money my parents put into something that felt like a burden, when I don't want other people to waste their time/resources, without 100% understanding whether they need english or just because it "feels right".

Anwyays, if you need more assitance/guidance, lmk. :)

SnowyChimera78

HSC
Hey I get what you mean, but I only need english tutoring cause its compulsory in the HSC and I'm not that good at it. Do you recommend any private tutors?

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Hey I get what you mean, but I only need english tutoring cause its compulsory in the HSC and I'm not that good at it. Do you recommend any private tutors?
Ahh, that's a whole another story then. My bad lol.
Yes, if you aren't very good at English, definitely find private tutors on like gumtree or get your parents to ask around. Its better to do it in-person.
Public tutoring for English is only necessary for a ton of marking, resources and more English class, but is not specifically catered individually.

Atm, if your grades are like B+, just spend those extra two to three hours a week developing your own English skills instead of allowing someone else to guide you. If you don't mind spending money, then just go with private lol. I don't like spending money on a subject I don't enjoy, not something that's "Compulsory" in the HSC.
In general, when you go to university, you're not going to have the perfect tutor for any course you choose, its individualistic.
Don't be too reliant on tutors but yeah, go for Gumtree, never do online.

andrew12678

HSC
Used to go to Ngo & Sons for Maths as well and had a great time with Mr Mai. For English, I went through a few private tutors but ended up settling with Delta. Might be down to person taste but I found private tutoring lessons to be quite unstructured/unprepared sometimes and exemplarly essays to be quite scarce (I personally learnt so much by reading essays from best of the best). In contrast, Delta had fantastic material targeted towards my assessments and great tutors who marked my essays weekly (always good to have multiple opinions on your work). Would highly recommend if you haven't already tried.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)