What form are you all using?? (1 Viewer)

Godly_Child

Looking from last year, most of the people done short stories and critical responses... What about this year?

And what kind of topics are you all thinking of?

I know for myself i am doing women and the continual different portrayal through different cultures, contexts, and figures...
And i'm doing a critical response of course..

so let me know, i'm interested in knowing what everyone else is doing?

malayz_angel

I'm doing a short story. My aim is to attempt to break some stereotypes and (yeah I admit it) certain aspects may imply feminism.

"If nobody's perfect then I want to be nobody."

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
after much thinking, i decided to not do a short story, and am doing SCRIPT, for film and television.

i am writing a short arthouse film about our obsession with popular culture and how these obessions can consume us.

its kinda funny coz in our class no one ended up deciding to do a short story or a critical response :p all the rest are plays, poems and speeches!

little_davo

Heya
Critical response. looking vaguely into the music of the 1960s and/or 70s and seeing the structure of writing, the business behind it all and especially the motivations behind the music- eg Vietnam War. Possibly comparing it to todays music and influences. ties in with the whole shitty Iraq-thing. A few songs have come out as a reaction to it.
Haventa actually started this idea. Just like the sound of it. hehe. Maybe i'll have one of those miraculous fits of motivation where I stay up all night writing that a few of you have mentioned...
:confused:

Godly_Child

Thats a really good idea???

What are you expanding on from Adv. or Ext 1 ???

I know our teachers are making a big deal that we need to have an idea that is actually an expansion from Adv. or ext.

Keep up the great work dude... i'm sure it'll come together nicely.

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
I'm doing a short story.

I'm trying to show the world that what they believe is not what is reality. It also delves into the mind of a psychopath.

It runs alongside Dark Places, by Kate Grenville. We read that last year.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I'm doing a critical response on how intertextuality affects meaning and humour in "The Simpsons". It's really fun, and it's a topic i know really well.

It's expanding on the module "Transformations" from the 2u course. :p

ellipsis

HSC
I decided to do the be different thing, because yeah, most people do do critical response/short story.

I'm writing a hypertext about hypertext (yes, kinda paradoxical :D).
People don't really seem to get it when I try to explain, it helps it you've read a hypertext (altho they are all very different), but well its a multimedia thing, like chose-your-own adventure books on a computer.
Mine's kinda non-fiction (so not really at all like chose-your-own-adventure :D, but that helps ppl get the lots of links part) discussing possibilites of hypertext and implications on the future of reading and stuff - like in 20 years time will nobody bother to read books because they can access everything instantly on a computer ? etc etc.

I'm linking it to Extension 1, because our elective is "Acts of Reading and Writing" but also to Change, because you crap on and link everything to Change, and my teacher reckoned it would be good if I could manage both.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm doing a poetry collection on dance. In regards to it's relation to the other english courses, it relates to Ex 1 because it is mostly going to be about dance in it's culutural contexts. I'm also hoping to use some dramatic monologues that will follow some of R. Browning's stylistic devices.

I didn't realize it had to closely relate to something you were doing in adv or ex1, I thought you just had to use the skills you acquired from those courses.............

i'm doing a script for a radio drama. it's hard to find examples of these scripts though, for trying to research script conventions. there's some crappy amatuer ones on the net, but i'd love to see some professionals. any ideas?

nightblooming

Originally posted by ellipsis
I decided to do the be different thing, because yeah, most people do do critical response/short story.

I'm writing a hypertext about hypertext (yes, kinda paradoxical :D).
People don't really seem to get it when I try to explain, it helps it you've read a hypertext (altho they are all very different), but well its a multimedia thing, like chose-your-own adventure books on a computer.
Mine's kinda non-fiction (so not really at all like chose-your-own-adventure :D, but that helps ppl get the lots of links part) discussing possibilites of hypertext and implications on the future of reading and stuff - like in 20 years time will nobody bother to read books because they can access everything instantly on a computer ? etc etc.

I'm linking it to Extension 1, because our elective is "Acts of Reading and Writing" but also to Change, because you crap on and link everything to Change, and my teacher reckoned it would be good if I could manage both.
Didnt you find that the hyper text form was resticting because i was looking forward to doing that, but because of the syllabus being a !@#$ , my ext 2 teacher and i thought that, it would only be a way of presentation, instead of the actual content. We settled on the "fact" that to use hypertext i would have to do some sort of critical analysis to put into it! How did you get around this???

ANYWAY because i was kinda forced to not do the hypertext i ended up with short stories which is working well, im doing the relationships between mothers and daughters but structually itll use postmodern conventions (ext 1).

Last edited:

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Short Story. Brainwashed protagonist "breaks free" (and kills some workers on the way). Strong links to Cambodia and the novel "1984".

Ac

malayz_angel

Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
I didn't realize it had to closely relate to something you were doing in adv or ex1, I thought you just had to use the skills you acquired from those courses.............
Actually, I thought the point was that it wasn't supposed to relate to adv/ext 1, I remember my teacher gave us really strict instructions about doing anything that would clash with those courses. Eg. I was going to write a crime fiction piece but I got told that I couldn't because it would clash with the Extension 1 course. HELP, does anybody know the facts?

ellipsis

HSC
Originally posted by nightblooming

Didnt you find that the hyper text form was resticting because i was looking forward to doing that, but because of the syllabus being a !@#$ , my ext 2 teacher and i thought that, it would only be a way of presentation, instead of the actual content. We settled on the "fact" that to use hypertext i would have to do some sort of critical analysis to put into it! How did you get around this???

ANYWAY because i was kinda forced to not do the hypertext i ended up with short stories which is working well, im doing the relationships between mothers and daughters but structually itll use postmodern conventions (ext 1).
huh? i don't think there's any problems with the syllabus (tho now I'm hurriedly scampering off to the BOS site to check it :D )
But no, i reckon its ok. I was originally thinking of doing a story, but now it is kinda critical response-y so maybe thats why i don't have probs.
The actual on-the-computer writing, like making links and layout and stuff, is a lot harder than i thought tho. its so fiddly!!! its really annoying. But thats prolly coz i'm really impatient :D !!

ellipsis

HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel

Actually, I thought the point was that it wasn't supposed to relate to adv/ext 1, I remember my teacher gave us really strict instructions about doing anything that would clash with those courses. Eg. I was going to write a crime fiction piece but I got told that I couldn't because it would clash with the Extension 1 course. HELP, does anybody know the facts?
Argh, teachers always contradict each other :rolleyes: .

Well, what my teacher said (tho its hardly the word of god, you should double check everything teachers say :)p). still she marked ext 2 past few years, so i trust her) was that it had to relate to your other english, because the whole point of extenstion 2 was to extend both the skills and the knowledge from other the other courses, and in the reflection statement you suck up a little about the other courses and say how they were sooooooooo excellent :)rolleyes:) that you were inspired to carry elements on and do your major work.

nightblooming

Originally posted by ellipsis

huh? i don't think there's any problems with the syllabus (tho now I'm hurriedly scampering off to the BOS site to check it :D )
But no, i reckon its ok. I was originally thinking of doing a story, but now it is kinda critical response-y so maybe thats why i don't have probs.
The actual on-the-computer writing, like making links and layout and stuff, is a lot harder than i thought tho. its so fiddly!!! its really annoying. But thats prolly coz i'm really impatient :D !!
Oh no! Dont stress dude! You should be fine!! :) If you need any help at all with the html, *back in the day* i used to do a lot of websites in my own time so if you need any help at all just contact me and ill help you to the best of my ability. Ive even got one of them up atm for a business studies assignment where i presented it as a website, it was quite impressive if you like i can give you the url, maybe itll help you out as well.
:D Good luck!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Originally posted by nightblooming

Ive even got one of them up atm for a business studies assignment where i presented it as a website, it was quite impressive if you like i can give you the url, maybe itll help you out as well.
:D Good luck!
Would you mind putting the URL in this forum nightblooming? Coz that sounds really interesting....

nightblooming

no problem

The assignment was a Business Report on any privatley owned small busines. The layout is simple, clear, easy to use. It's not image heavy at all so itll load quickly. Used the KISS Theory form Vet- IT and Multimedia class:

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Sometimes the more white space there is the better it looks. Anyway, take a look at the source code too, to see how things were done.

http://www.geocities.com/cv11bsd/

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ladypenelope85
i'm doing a script for a radio drama. it's hard to find examples of these scripts though, for trying to research script conventions. there's some crappy amatuer ones on the net, but i'd love to see some professionals. any ideas?
One of my English Ext 2 teachers is a HSC marker for Ext 2, and she says that she doesn't recommend anyone does a radio drama script because its almost impossible to do it well. She says she's never even seen a remotely good one.

Just telling it like it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)