What ions do we need to distinguish? (1 Viewer)

skrye4

HSC
Hey Everyone,

The syllabus dot point I'm referring to is: "deduce the ions present in a sample from the results of tests."

My question is, which ions do we need to distinguish between? Is there a set list, will we be given the solubility rules in the exam, or do we just need to have an extensive knowledge to be able to identify ions from whatever they give us?

Thanks for your help.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
All ions listed in some other dot pt:

perform first-hand
investigations to carry out a
range of tests, including flame
tests, to identify the following
ions:
- phosphate
- sulfate
- carbonate
- chloride
- barium
- calcium
- lead
- copper
- iron

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Hey Everyone,

The syllabus dot point I'm referring to is: "deduce the ions present in a sample from the results of tests."

My question is, which ions do we need to distinguish between?....[1] Is there a set list, will we be given the solubility rules in the exam....[2], or do we just need to have an extensive knowledge to be able to identify ions from whatever they give us?...[3]
[1] - look above
[2] - solubility rules are to be committed to memory if u want - its quite beneficial (it wont be provided in any test)
[3] - yes its good to - such as confirmation tests (eg. after adding nitric acid to unknown sol'n, if fizzing occurs, carbonate ions are present, THEN we test using pH probe and show that it is BASIC., these hydroxide ions can explain the solution's basicity)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Everyone,

My question is, which ions do we need to distinguish between? Is there a set list, will we be given the solubility rules in the exam, or do we just need to have an extensive knowledge to be able to identify ions from whatever they give us?

Thanks for your help.
I think HeroicPandas pretty much covered everything. The ions are definitely listed in another outcome in that section of the syllabus. Also, you will need to distinguish between Fe(II) and Fe(III) ions. You will not be given the solubility rules so if you need them, you'll have to memorise them. You will also need to memorise all the tests to distinguish between the ions and note in particular the order of the steps. It's probably also good to know ways to check that you've identified the right ion e.g. flame test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)