What is a bachelor of commerce like at sydney uni? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Do graduates get jobs easily, to they give you lots of practical experience and what are the subjects like?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait for Crobat's Myuniversity's screen shot for the answer to the first question!

Secondly, when you say practical experience do you mean if they give you an opportunity to actually work for a company for a short while? If so, then yes there are programs to help you gain practical experience. Can't really say anything about the subjects yet, haven't done enough.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I'm a usyd commerce student - just completed 2nd year.

Do they get jobs easily?
Easy answer, no graduate from any university in Australia is going to get a 'job easily' from a Bachelor of Commerce or Combined programs.

Do they give you a lot of practical experience?
I will slightly rephrase this question - do they provide OPPORTUNITIES for you to gain practical experience? One of the best in the country.
Assuming you enter a Bachelor of Commerce Degree (3 years), you'll have opportunities to get practical experience from the very first year. These are not just your little accounting firms in the suburbs where you'll probably fetch coffee, but reputable organisations where you'll be able to meet a ton of great people, network and learn off them. I'll give a couple of examples. One of the most popular programs is the 'Industry Placement Program' (IPP).

This basically involves the student, through sydney university, being offered an unpaid internship either in the summer - or during their semester (as a unit) to gain practical experience. It involves large organisations such as Maq, Citi, Commbank and big 4s, and smaller institutions as well. Where do you get placed? Depends on your major and more importantly, the interest you show in your personal statement and the subsequent assessment centre. Many people I know have already done the program and have been either offered part-time paid work with the organisation (usually the Investment banks or Big 4s) or called on for an internship in their penultimate year (paid).
The big advantage of this is that it allows students who aren't in their penultimate year to gain internships so when they are actually eligible to apply (i.e. their 2nd last year of university), they have a huge leg up on a large proportion of applicants.

The other component of the IPP is the Washington D.C. or L.A. placement (UCLA + L.A. IB). Here you study AND work overseas for the summer in either your 1st or 2nd year. Gives you a great opportunity to get an exchange and overseas working experience which again gives you a massive leg up.

Obviously, every usyd comm student doesn't applyor don't make the cut for these programs (for that you've probably failed something or have almost 0 university involvement), but a very good proportion do (obviously competition varies between organisation e.g. getting a MQ/Commbank placement v The Smith Family)

That's just one program, there are many other smaller ones.

Also note, it's not the wise to pick your university based on pure statistics. I'm yet to understand what 'full time employment' means in the MyUniversity website. Are they working in their field full time or just any role - I couldn't find that information on their website.

There is also almost no transfers out into the same Bachelor of Commerce degree from USYD to other institutions - that says something about satisfaction of students (contrast to uts/maq).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)