• We need YOUR help for the next generation of students! Upload your notes and exams on our Notes & Resources page!

What is IPT? Is it hard? (1 Viewer)

hellohowslife

HSC
hello

so i am currently choosing these subjects

adv maths
adv english
economics
business studies
legal studies
biology

but i am thinking that these are too content heavy so i may replace biology with ipt. the problem is i don't really know anything about coding or what exactly ipt is so can someone please give me a brief overview? is it a subject i can learn in year 11 without any prior knowledge? ty

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thought I'd respond since that's essentially what I picked for year 11 too! (3u maths, adv eng, biz, legal, eco and ipt)

IPT is a non-coding-heavy version of "computing studies". It includes a broad spectrum of content around various computing concepts, databases, how servers work, process flows of data, etc.. it's very theoretical and it's quite straightforward, but the challenge is because it's considered "easy", it's harder to get good marks in your HSC.

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
But the challenge is because it's considered "easy", it's harder to get good marks in your HSC.
Wot. I legit almost got a band 5(79) without studying a single bit for it haha. Like legit I didn't even know what option topic we did in school so I had to ask others on the day of the HSC.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wot. I legit almost got a band 5(79) without studying a single bit for it haha. Like legit I didn't even know what option topic we did in school so I had to ask others on the day of the HSC.
Maybe you and I have a different view on what constitutes a good mark in IPT.

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe you and I have a different view on what constitutes a good mark in IPT.
Alright alright, I know the mark is really bad but for someone who didn't open the textbook even once, its quite good. I mean if I did that for like Software I would've gotten like a 60, and for English like a 50

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright alright, I know the mark is really bad but for someone who didn't open the textbook even once, its quite good. I mean if I did that for like Software I would've gotten like a 60, and for English like a 50
Fair enough - I'm sure everyone has a different view on how seriously to take their HSC studies, but 10 years later, I'm very glad that I did take it seriously (but didn't go over the top crazy like some of my peers). I've said it before in other threads, IPT is probably one of the most useful subjects I did in high school and still helps me in my professional life in consulting where a huge focus is on systems/processes/databases/data flows/etc.

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough - I'm sure everyone has a different view on how seriously to take their HSC studies, but 10 years later, I'm very glad that I did take it seriously (but didn't go over the top crazy like some of my peers). I've said it before in other threads, IPT is probably one of the most useful subjects I did in high school and still helps me in my professional life in consulting where a huge focus is on systems/processes/databases/data flows/etc.
Mhmm, IPT was my extra subject and I really didn't like it, so I figured I should concentrate on my other subjects which I knew I was good at. I can definitely see how it would be useful to you especially since your an accountant, but for me idk.

@howslife IPT imo is honestly really quite boring. Most people I speak to say that too, but I mean everyone will find it different...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Mhmm, IPT was my extra subject and I really didn't like it, so I figured I should concentrate on my other subjects which I knew I was good at. I can definitely see how it would be useful to you especially since your an accountant, but for me idk.

@howslife IPT imo is honestly really quite boring. Most people I speak to say that too, but I mean everyone will find it different...
Honestly doesn't surprise me as it's a bit dry for some, and I think in my time at least, most people only picked it because it was easy and enabled us to play CS 1.6 and UT (both OG!) on the school PC network against the other class & people in the library. But like I said, I actually enjoyed it and found it to be surprisingly useful in my career - that, and dare I admit, business studies.

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly doesn't surprise me as it's a bit dry for some, and I think in my time at least, most people only picked it because it was easy and enabled us to play CS 1.6 and UT (both OG!) on the school PC network against the other class & people in the library. But like I said, I actually enjoyed it and found it to be surprisingly useful in my career - that, and dare I admit, business studies.
I'm surprised Baulkham hills High has people playing CS in computing classes :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)