What is the effect of imagery? (1 Viewer)

stainmepink

HSC
Hello, just a simple question i need help with. How does the use of imagery affect the reader?

all help with be generously appreciated :)

A l

HSC
N/A
Imagery, makes the reader have a mental 'image' of something. For example, when you read a good book or short story, you can always picture the story in your head using imagination. This is what imagery is. It helps the reader see the story and build an imaginary "world" in their head in correspondance to what he or she is reading. It is effective, because it keeps the reader interested.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
the writer may use imagery for other purposes as well as can be seen in teh skrzynecki poems. such as "a drive int he country" where at first he uses imagery as a form of setting for serenity but then makes one picture the corpses hung byt heir necks at the gallows.

it can be used in a variety of purposes to motivate the responder to think a certain number of things. it can make them:

- have a false sense of security of what the text is about at first
-motivate them to feel the experience that the composer has intended
- simply to derive an image unto one's mind, though there is a dire purpose to it. that is your job to find out :p
-motivate a reader to refelct on their own experiences
- capture the interest of the reader as has been mnetioned by AI.

there is more, but i just woke up..so meh :D

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
a nice good word is "intertextuality". It's not always associated with imagery, but when we look at, say, a rose, we immediately associate the image of a rose with different things. This is "intertextual reference"

you could think of love. you could probably think of lonliness, consider there is only one. I thought of a phantom as well. Or maybe someone might think of a person who gave them a rose once. Image affects the reader by drawing intertextual reference to their personal, societal, and cliche symbolism....

A l

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
a nice good word is "intertextuality". It's not always associated with imagery, but when we look at, say, a rose, we immediately associate the image of a rose with different things. This is "intertextual reference"

you could think of love. you could probably think of lonliness, consider there is only one. I thought of a phantom as well. Or maybe someone might think of a person who gave them a rose once. Image affects the reader by drawing intertextual reference to their personal, societal, and cliche symbolism....
I thought they were just connotations.

hello99999

HSC
just make up an effect to support your argument
it doesn't have to be true, if that's the way you interpret it then that's the way you interpret it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)