what level of math is needed for a degree in science/commerce majoring in math? (1 Viewer)

okeee

HSC
N/A
I am a year 12 student looking into universities. I am that typical student aiming high for a career in investment banking, or anything finance related. I have a passion for maths, however i only do 2-unit mathematics and i am worried that i will struggle at university. Moreover, several forums and online sources suggest firms are hiring those with a math background as a result of their problem solving skills(specifically for ib) and thought it might be a good idea to combine science/commerce with a major in math and also as i am interested in maths.
The assumed knowledge for the degree (spec. major in math) is only 2-unit, however i am worried that is either a mistake or 2-unit won't be enough.
Will i survive the course with only 2-unit?
Is it a good degree specifically for IB?
Are bridging courses for 3-unit maths recommended?

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are majoring in math you will more or less be doing the same level of math courses you find in comp science or engineeering both of which assume 3 unit but again you can make do with 2 unit. Its not that you will struggle but its more important that you just work hard since most people who have done 3 unit or 4 unit tend to relax thinking they know everything already. You don't need to do bridging courses but if you are really worried then just pick up a 3u/4u textbook and cover it during the holidays.

Other than that I can say that if you are really interested in math then go for it however I do not think it is necessary to get into investment banking unless you plan on getting into certain fields (such as trading where it does play a level of importance)

You can also apply for commerce/science and do the first math course and see if you think you can cope, if you think you cant then just drop it early on to prevent the financial cost

Most people from what I have heard get into IB through commerce/law or commerce (honours)

If you want to get into IB the most important things are getting really high grades, doing internships in as related fields as possible and doing a lot of extracurricular. (this pretty much applies to any job but its expected from someone hiring)

See here: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/what-level-of-math-is-ideal-for-investment-banking
http://community.boredofstudies.org/462/commerce-business/324599/how-hard-get-into-investment-banking-what-degrees-can-you-do.html
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2447410

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Aptitude is probably more important then the level is.

I would suggest that you start with the lowest level of maths that is offered at the University, and seeing how you go move up to higher "harder" levels of mathematics.

Do a bridging course, it is likely to help.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
A maths-heavy background is typically only required if you want to become a quant, or if you go into trading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)