What makes your work a good or bad place to be? (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
Where do you work?
What's your work place like?
What kind of people do you work with?
What are the dynamics like at your work place?
Why do you like it or dislike?

Well I work at Coles (in the Dairy department) and most of the people there are pretty fun. There are three people in their mid 20s, a 30 year old mum, two guys in their 40s, and a 50 something yr old woman. What makes it fun to be there is that most of the people are pretty fun (except for the older lady..she's a witch). And us younger people joke around and stuff all day, we have a fair bit in common. lol for example, one 20 something guy usually gets to work late and at varying times so we've started making bets about it. (not to his knowledge of course). everyday we pay 50c and place our bets for the next day and whoever is closest gets a point and at the end of the week the person with the most points gets the jackpot. Bahaha, its so funny. We had our first day of it today. I can't wait till the guy finds out.

Anyways,

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
nice template!
everyone use it!

Where do you work? Computer Rental Compnay

Pretty cool. we have awesome facilities and the boss doesnt mind if we use the internet whenever we want. It would be nicer if it was closer to me though.

What kind of people do you work with? 3 in the 20's, 2 in the 40's and me at 19

What are the dynamics like at your work place? Reasonably good. Making fun of everyone in good humour (...or behind their back :p) is standard practice.

good place to work, good for acquiring skills, good boss. location COULD be better and hours are good :)

HSC
N/A
Where do you work? At a dance studio in Hornsby. I'm a teacher.

What's your work place like? A primary school hall. No desk or computer for me :p

What kind of people do you work with? When I'm "working" I'm usually the only member of staff there, however on a very general level there's the Studio Owner who I'm in regular contact with, as well as the other teachers who I see once a year at the studio concert. Stats: We're all females, I'm the youngest at 20, I think my boss is in her late 20s or early 30s, another teacher is probably in her late 20s and the other teacher is maybe 40-60?

What are the dynamics like at your work place? There are almost none as far as I'm concerned... it's not big enough a studio for teachers to want to "fight" for students and hours (at the moment, we delegate certain age groups/dance forms to different teachers and how many hours you have runs on that). Naturally the studio owner is at the top though, and everything we do has to be approved by her. And the other teachers seem nice :)

Why do you like it or dislike? I love the fact that I can work about half the hours as some of my friends do, but I'll get paid about the same amount. On the down side, when the kids aren't with it (I teach ages 6-13), they're not with it and it drives me NUTS!!! I've had a lot of disciplinary issues because their teacher before let them get away with a lot... I even had one kid who a) refuses to sit down in the 'naughty chair' when she mucks up (obviously I can't physically force her), and b) has even run out of the studio when requested to sit out. I expect she'll be requested to leave the studio next year, but it's still tough, especially the ones that seem to have ADD but are unmedicated/ "not bad enough to need medication" according to docs. Gah!

Although not all my kids are like this... it's very fulfilling to be impressed by something one of your students did, because then you can sit back and think "Cool. I taught them how to do that." :D Also, when all is said and done, I'm doing something I love and have a great passion for. :)

Another thing that is currently working well for me is that my hours are set for the whole year - so it doesn't clash with my other activities, but woe betode if my uni hours differ greatly between semesters (so far they haven't, and this is my last year). I am a bit worried about next year though, I'm not going to be able to make 3:30pm starts anymore so either someone else takes that, or she has to find someone else to replace those classes?

Last edited:

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Where do you work?parramatta leagues club
kinda rubbish. its relatively big, but its old, dark, dirty, smoky, and yeah generally its just not a pleasant work environment

What kind of people do you work with?anywhere from 18yo white males to 60yo asian females

What are the dynamics like at your work place?its ok at times, the good staff are the only thing that keeps me there.. i work in bar and cellar and because parra leagues is shit, not many people come to the bars so its not that busy. its pretty boring actually, im only there to get some experience.

not all THAT far from where i live, quite a few good staff, piss easy job. bad - dont like a lot of the patrons there, its very smoky on the gaming floor, its old, dirty, dark etc.. it can get VERY boring when its quiet, pay isnt all that spectacular, variances in rostering are far too great (eg i could be finishing a shift at 6am or just starting one) etc.. heaps of stuff really lol

HSC
Where do you work? dreamworld :eek:
What's your work place like? um, big .. and hot .. and loud?

What kind of people do you work with? mainly people my age. the dudes are the biggest perverts ever, i half want to laugh and half want to slap them in the face, but yeah they're generally pretty awesome

What are the dynamics like at your work place? um .. idk? sometimes its boring as fuck and sometimes you get hammered for like five hours straight. the screaming from the rides can get on your nerves after a while, as well as the fact that they've been playing like the same ten songs over and over since november

Why do you like it or dislike? it's pretty close to where i live, the pay is good, free entry is sweet, i dig the people i work with. on the downside, it's fucking hot, and the shitcunt bureaucrat supervisors who work in air conditioning say you can't be seen in the park drinking anything other than water, so once your water bottle runs out in the middle of a ten hour shift and you're standing there selling coke, it's fucking torturous. oh and they wash your uniforms for you which is pretty sweet.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Where do you work? Pharmacy

It's a medium-sized pharmacy, with food and drinks near the back cashier which is convenient. :)

What kind of people do you work with? Three pharmacists who are pretty easy-going and patient, and a bunch of girls around my age with whom I can chat about clothes and shoes and bags and boys and stuff.

What are the dynamics like at your work place? Relaxed, we're always mucking around and everyone's friends.

I like everyone, and I like the fact that everyone likes me. I don't like touching dirty money.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Where do you work? Boost Juice at Wynyard

What's your work place like? We're an actual store, not a kiosk, so it's pretty big (and hard to clean). We mostly serve business types, being near Martin place and whatnot.

What kind of people do you work with? Mostly first-year uni students. Some full-time younger kids. The boss is mid 30s but she could pass for younger.

What are the dynamics like at your work place? Pretty good most of the time, a couple of staff members dislike each other, but generally everyone chats pretty well.

Why do you like it or dislike? I like it because it's easy, and it involves lots of cleaning (which I kind of enjoy. I like it when things are clean). We get free juice, and the boss is generally pretty laid back.
On the other hand, nobody else likes cleaning so at the end of the night stuff is never as clean as I'd like it. I rarely leave on time at close. The pay is crap on weekdays. Everyone says they're going to quit as soon as the boss sells the store (which she's doing some time in the next few months). Business people can be really rude. It's also really quiet in winter so heaps of shifts get cancelled = no money. I'm planning on getting another job before then, though.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Where do you work? Woolworths
What's your work place like? Well it is a shop and I am at the Service Area so most of the time people are spread out and doing their own thing.
What kind of people do you work with? Everyone.. young kids at school, people who go to uni like me.. mothers with kids who go to school and oldies who work there full time and have for many years.
What are the dynamics like at your work place? Everyone gets along most of the time.. many of the people bitch about the store manager because he always takes days off at the most inappropriate times without a Certificate or anything (but makes everyone else bring one in). Everyone is friends with the people in their departments but if you work there alot you tend to make friends with the whole store.
Like: Close to home, am close friends with a number of people who work there, good pay rate, get the shifts I want due to the managers liking me, as a supervisor I get paid more, nice shopping centre, variety of departments to work in if I wanted to change from checkouts.
Dislike: Bitchiness between supervisors and management, lazy people who are my friends that I have to be strict with because they bludge, the stupid new uniforms which we have to start wearing on Monday.

Pilotdude

HSC
Where do you work? Woolworths
What's your work place like? Not too bad, we are in a shopping centre and have liquor in our store. The store is falling apart and we are due for a refurb and we need it NOW!!
What kind of people do you work with? Everyone from 13 year olds to 75 year olds. All good fun and i love working with everyone apart from about 5 people. Store manager is good and the other managers are pretty good. Everything gets done.
What are the dynamics like at your work place? Most people get along however there is the bitchiness about management but you get that everywhere. Also alot of backstabbing. 2 of supervisors dont get along with a Duty Manager which resulted in a full on argument which lead to the Duty Manager being in shit and being demoted :)
Likes: Working with people i like, being 5 minutes away and the ability to go further in the company and get training. And the ability to have learnt every department in the store

Dislikes: Defintley the shirts, the store (the condition of it, was done up in the early 90's but needs re doing) Fuckwit Customers :mad1:
Really its not that bad, wouldnt mind being able to get into upper management eventually.

Agree with cro_angel thats the worst thing bout being supervisor, telling friends etc what to do but i LOVE telling people i hate what to do muhahahaha!!

Skeeta

HSC
Where do you work? Gloria Jeans
What's your work place like? Its not one of those standalone things in a shopping centre, its an actual coffee shop, with tables and chairs and an outside seating area, in a small shopping complex.

What kind of people do you work with? Females. Aged between 17 and 25. The manager is in her early 30's (but passes for mid 20's) and the owner, who is like 40 something. The only male. But he hardly ever works. I wonder why.
What are the dynamics like at your work place? Everyone gets along, except when new people come in and they make crap coffee. The manager doesnt have a superiority complex, which is awesome. And we all just kind of do our job.
Likes: Best job I've had in hospitality. Customers are lovely. Staff are lovely. Hardly any troubles. We do our job, do it well. And leave.
Dislikes: I NEED A NEW UNIFORM! Black shirts fade. My boss is generally a tightass, but it doesnt really affect us working together. I also dislike finishing work at 9.30-10pm on a thursday/friday/saturday

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
Where do you work?
Newsagency

It's about a year old so nothing falling apart.
On the start of the tunnel from Parra station into Westfield.
Bright lights and big posters.

Small roster - School-kids. At 19, I'm the oldest there.
Customers are from school kids to old lotto knowhows..

2 Bosses - more like mates than bosses..
2 of us are 'olds' - been there since the shop opened.
Think now we've got 2 fulltimers and 3 others..?
Everyone seems to get one well -- esp. after the xmas party 06... haha!

*Laughables -- the shirt. we're either jesters, or we're the same colour as Australia Post bags....
*Likes -- flexible, dead easy with transport, customer contact - get some really nice people come through, Boss always watches out for you and gives me shifts that work well around uni, always something worth laughing about each shift.
*Dislikes -- customers that dont know what lotto/bus ticket/cigarettes they want... shoplifting - continuously on the lookout makes you paranoid <_< .. AC breaking down.. Westfield's shoddy music taste.. Old air from the station blowing through.. Ew!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Where do you work?
Homecare Delivery Shopping

Mostly outdoors, so whenever i work, i work during fine weather

Well since im in charge of my local area, i guess i work by myself :(

me, myself and I

Likes: -can work whenever i like, so since i now go to uni, i can choose to work on weekends, so basically its really flexible
- i choose the hours
- not bad commission....thats if you get good sales, but unfortunately that doesnt happen all the time

dislike:- isolated environment

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
haha you leave those annoying magazines on my front porch don't you

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
haha next time ill leave a penthouse magazine as well just for you
special treatment

HSC
Where do you work?
Target

heaps fun environment and the poelpe i work with are nice and cool

ppl who are my age 17 and older
all of them are really nice and freindly

relaxed and enjoyable. You mayu feel tired b4 and after work but like wen ya there its just easy to get into rythm and most of the customers are nice and easy going aswell which makes it fun

Why do you like it or dislike
all the above reasons are why i LOVE WORKING there!!!!
and it is also near home and other shops

Last edited:

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Someone stole my lunch (spaghetti bolognese) from the freezer, and now I'm going to have to steal someone's vegetarian lasange or not eat for hours. Such a vicious cycle.

Dan7

HSC
BlackDragon said:
Where do you work?

Well I work at Coles (in the Dairy department) and most of the people there are pretty fun. There are three people in their mid 20s, a 30 year old mum, two guys in their 40s, and a 50 something yr old woman. What makes it fun to be there is that most of the people are pretty fun (except for the older lady..she's a witch). And us younger people joke around and stuff all day, we have a fair bit in common. lol for example, one 20 something guy usually gets to work late and at varying times so we've started making bets about it. (not to his knowledge of course). everyday we pay 50c and place our bets for the next day and whoever is closest gets a point and at the end of the week the person with the most points gets the jackpot. Bahaha, its so funny. We had our first day of it today. I can't wait till the guy finds out.

Anyways,
That reminds me of a story I heard about people placing bets on what time someone would fall asleep. (long before I was there)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Where do you work?
Woolworths Metro

Pretty nice, the new registers have brightened the place up a bit, could do with a better hoist tho

School kids, to uni kids to older people and in between. small store compared to most

Everybody gets along really well, all departments, all people. sure there is a bit of bitching, but not too much

my immediate manager is a bit stupid, but i like getting along with everybody

koube0530

HSC
Where do you work?
A private law practice.

Shitty. Bitchy. People are so fake and always talking behind people's backs.

The secretaries annoy the hell out of me. They are so gossipy.

Relaxed.

I take it as light entertainment, but all the bitchness affects me a bit.

HSC
Where do you work?
Woolworths

nice, comfortable, air conditioned, yeah i dont know as you'd expect those kind of retail stores to be i guess.

most of the people i work with have finished school. they are all nice enough.

everyone gets along well so its pretty sweet.

im on nightfill lol. i like it because its easy work, time flies and the people are nice and its comfortable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)