Maths 2U (/154)
Maths Extension 1 (/141)
Chemistry (/104)
Physics (/67)
Economics (/61)

Thank you :)

enoilgam

HSC
Well, from what I can remember, the median ATAR at a school ranked around 3rd in the state is about 98. So, from that, my guess would be that if you are in the top 30% of your subjects, you should be on track for 99.

sereniity

HSC
Actually, my school's median ATAR is around 95... does that make a difference?

enoilgam

HSC
Actually, my school's median ATAR is around 95... does that make a difference?
Fair enough - I am going off stats I remember hearing a while ago. In that case, I would say top 20% maybe at a guess. There are probably some users here who go to a top 5 school who could give you something more definitive based off experience. But I think top 20% should be enough.

Bobbo1

HSC
I am going to assume you're pretty smart since you go to a high ranked school. So the best way to calculate it would be find out how many 99 ATARs there were there last year, let's just say there were 25 and your cohort size was 162. Then you want to be in 25/162 *100% of your cohort which is roughly ~15.4%. Obviously, from this you have to factor in whether you have a stronger/weaker cohort to last year and the subjects you do (which on average scale above average).

HSC
Every year your school has at LEAST 30% of students getting ATARs of over 99+, so you should be aiming to be in the top 30% of your grade OVERALL.

However it's not as simple when it comes to determining ranks in individual subjects due to scaling, cohort strength/teachers etc.

Don't forget that the cohort sizes you posted are for year 11 only. I would imagine quite a number of people would have dropped from each subject (except for advanced english). Also I'm pretty sure the average ATAR is 95/96 but the median ATAR is much higher (at least 97/98)

English: Generally you guys get around 90-100 band 6s so if you are in the top half you should be okay (assuming your rank in the external exams remain relatively similar). To be safe try to at least be ranked in the top 50 since english assessments can be very volatile (i.e. most tasks are marked as only whole numbers out of 15 or 20 except for trials which means a whole bunch of people will be clustered around the top marks.)

3U English: at least top 40

2U/3U Maths: Generally your school gets around 60-70% band 6s in maths. Keep in mind that if 72 people picked up 4U maths then the 2U cohort size/competition will obviously decrease (i.e. there's a good chance that your year 12 2U rank will improve after year 11). Top 30 should be fine. 3U maths scales quite well and your school generally does quite decent so I would say aim for at least top 80 since you are also competing against the 4U kids.

Chemistry: top 25
Physics: top 15. Preferably top 10 since your science department isn't exactly the best however it depends on which teacher you have.

Economics: top 10.I'm pretty sure heaps of people dropped so the cohort is about 40 now. Your school doesn't tend to do as well in eco compared to english/maths so beware. However I heard that your head teacher is a senior HSC marker so if you are in his class USE HIM!!!!!

Remember this is a guide only. I'm just going off past statistics/hearsay. I tried to keep my estimates closer to the worse case scenario and don't forget cohort strengths can vary each year. Good luck :)

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Every year your school has at LEAST 30% of students getting ATARs of over 99+, so you should be aiming to be in the top 30% of your grade OVERALL.

However it's not as simple when it comes to determining ranks in individual subjects due to scaling, cohort strength/teachers etc.

Don't forget that the cohort sizes you posted are for year 11 only. I would imagine quite a number of people would have dropped from each subject (except for advanced english). Also I'm pretty sure the average ATAR is 95/96 but the median ATAR is much higher (at least 97/98)

English: Generally you guys get around 90-100 band 6s so if you are in the top half you should be okay (assuming your rank in the external exams remain relatively similar). To be safe try to at least be ranked in the top 50 since english assessments can be very volatile (i.e. most tasks are marked as only whole numbers out of 15 or 20 except for trials which means a whole bunch of people will be clustered around the top marks.)

3U English: at least top 40.

2U/3U Maths: Generally your school gets around 60-70% band 6s in maths. Keep in mind that if 72 people picked up 4U maths then the 2U cohort size/competition will obviously decrease (i.e. there's a good chance that your year 12 2U rank will improve after year 11). Top 30 should be fine. 3U maths scales quite well and your school generally does quite decent so I would say aim for at least top 80 since you are also competing against the 4U kids.

Chemistry: at LEAST top 25
Physics: at LEAST top 15. Preferably top 10 since your science department isn't exactly the best... ]\

Economics: top 10.I'm pretty sure heaps of people dropped so the cohort is about 40 now. Your school doesn't tend to do as well in eco compared to english/maths so beware. However I heard that your head teacher is a senior HSC marker so if you are in his class USE HIM!!!!!

Remember this is a guide only. I'm just going off past statistics/hearsay. I tried to keep my estimates closer to the worse case scenario and don't forget cohort strengths can vary each year. Good luck :)
This exactly - great post. There are many factors at play which determine what ranks equal what ATAR and nothing is set in stone. Saying you need to come in the top 30% of your subjects is a pretty broad guess because there are factors specific to each subject which can change things. Also, dont forget that cohort performances change from year to year - which makes any estimate, but especially an ATAR to ranks estimate very unreliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)