What Should I Drop? (Chemistry or Modern) (1 Viewer)

turtle67

HSC
Hi Guys,

I'm currently at the end of Year 11 with 13 units. I'm considering dropping either chemistry or modern history. Up until now I was always going to drop modern because I'm just not that interested in it but now I'm feeling like my chemistry isn't going too well.

I feel that chemistry is only going to get harder from here and we're not even close to finishing the prelim course. Also, for modern you can pretty much just learn stuff. But for chemistry, you actually have to be able to apply that stuff.

I haven't done too badly in either of the first two assessments and I'm ranking second for both but I suspect my rank will go down after the exams next week.

Because I assumed I was going to drop it I haven't done much preparation for the prelims yet but I suspect my chemistry won't go too well either despite a bit of preparation.

studiesofboard

HSC
I do Modern and it sucks. You have to remember heaps of essays. I regret choosing the course. However, I don't really study that well for that subject so yeah. It is what it is :)

turtle67

HSC
I do Modern and it sucks. You have to remember heaps of essays. I regret choosing the course. However, I don't really study that well for that subject so yeah. It is what it is :)
Yeah that's what I've noticed and I think if I don't really have a passion for it as a lot do in my class I probably won't do so well in the long run. Like for prelims I kind of keep studying for everything except modern hahah

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It kind of depends what areas are you struggling in chemistry. If it's to do with module 1 like finding chemical formulas, module 2 moles calculations and Module 3 first section then that might be a problem but you can still fix that prior to starting Year 12. The Year 12 doesn't really get that much harder than Year 11, you just learn different content meaning most of the stuff you learnt in Year 11 chemistry won't show up again such as the galvanic cells, radioactivity stuff, gas laws, hess' law etc. so I wouldn't really take that as an indication you can't do well in Year 12.

Also, once you go to Year 12 the ranks reset so like if you start from the beginning well then it shouldn't be a problem. Have a think about what other subjects you are doing as well. If you've got multiple essay subjects it might be more draining doing modern, but if you haven't got that many essay subjects then it's probably okay.

jojosiwa123

HSC
I don't know... it can be really hard to find motivation to work in a subject you don't like. Modern personally I don't find it too difficult- you're basically just writing and memorising notes. Chemistry on the other hand is one of those things where you miss a week of work and feel like you can never catch up...Personally I think it gets harder in Year 12 (chem)- although just like maths the more practice you do the better you will be. I think you need to consider which subject you're willing to put the work in for and keep that.

turtle67

HSC
It kind of depends what areas are you struggling in chemistry. If it's to do with module 1 like finding chemical formulas, module 2 moles calculations and Module 3 first section then that might be a problem but you can still fix that prior to starting Year 12. The Year 12 doesn't really get that much harder than Year 11, you just learn different content meaning most of the stuff you learnt in Year 11 chemistry won't show up again such as the galvanic cells, radioactivity stuff, gas laws, hess' law etc. so I wouldn't really take that as an indication you can't do well in Year 12.

Also, once you go to Year 12 the ranks reset so like if you start from the beginning well then it shouldn't be a problem. Have a think about what other subjects you are doing as well. If you've got multiple essay subjects it might be more draining doing modern, but if you haven't got that many essay subjects then it's probably okay.
I'm fine with Module 1 and 2, its just Module 3 because our teacher has been rushing us to finish it because we did the course so slowly so I've had to learn the whole module in 3 weeks by myself pretty much.

Next year I will have more time to put in with 2 less units and (hopefully) a new teacher.

My other subjects are economics, business, math ext and English adv so a few essays but not overly essay focused. I feel like chemistry will be harder to do well in though, so would the scaling help me at all there?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm fine with Module 1 and 2, its just Module 3 because our teacher has been rushing us to finish it because we did the course so slowly so I've had to learn the whole module in 3 weeks by myself pretty much.

Next year I will have more time to put in with 2 less units and (hopefully) a new teacher.

My other subjects are economics, business, math ext and English adv so a few essays but not overly essay focused. I feel like chemistry will be harder to do well in though, so would the scaling help me at all there?
I guess it depends on how much work you're willing to do for the subject. For chemistry, you kind of need to be consistent throughout the year in terms of doing practice and questions. So that will require more work from you. As a tutor for chem I see people studying for it the wrong way all the time in terms of just learning content as you go and not doing much practice. It's like maths the way you should be studying for it by doing practice questions on even past content you are not currently learning at school to make sure you don't forget stuff. So it will likely require a greater time commitment if you want to do well. Scaling is irrelevant in that aspect because both the subjects have good to decent scaling so it's more about what mark you are going to get in each of them

I didn't do modern but based on what other people and you have said, it seems you can get through the subject by memorising so it's probably easier than chem in that regard and less workload. However, I would be a bit hesitant in terms of from Year 11 to 12 your exams get longer so the amount of essays you have currently done in exams across business, eco, modern and English adv, isn't really a reflection of how many you will have to do in year 12. As at trials and HSC in business and eco you have 2 essays for each exam, English will have 4-5 essays. So that will kind of add up in terms of how much you actually need to memorise.

jojosiwa123

HSC

Don't focus too much on scaling. Although yes it scales well, it won't turn a 50% into a band 6... instead you need to put work in consistently. You will also have the summer holidays to catch up if you've missed anything. Maybe wait till after prelims to decide which one you want to drop. I think you should stick to doing subjects you're willing to put in the work for, it doesn't matter which one is perceived as 'easier' per say. Modern does have a smaller workload but if you don't like it you might not end up putting the work in. Keep in mind also that w modern you basically get a fresh start in year 12, completely new content while in chem a lot of things are assumed knowledge for year 12 (I might just be biased towards modern ahah)

turtle67

HSC
I guess it depends on how much work you're willing to do for the subject. For chemistry, you kind of need to be consistent throughout the year in terms of doing practice and questions. So that will require more work from you. As a tutor for chem I see people studying for it the wrong way all the time in terms of just learning content as you go and not doing much practice. It's like maths the way you should be studying for it by doing practice questions on even past content you are not currently learning at school to make sure you don't forget stuff. So it will likely require a greater time commitment if you want to do well. Scaling is irrelevant in that aspect because both the subjects have good to decent scaling so it's more about what mark you are going to get in each of them

I didn't do modern but based on what other people and you have said, it seems you can get through the subject by memorising so it's probably easier than chem in that regard and less workload. However, I would be a bit hesitant in terms of from Year 11 to 12 your exams get longer so the amount of essays you have currently done in exams across business, eco, modern and English adv, isn't really a reflection of how many you will have to do in year 12. As at trials and HSC in business and eco you have 2 essays for each exam, English will have 4-5 essays. So that will kind of add up in terms of how much you actually need to memorise.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Thanks a lot for all of your help.

I understand the concepts but I think it's just I haven't done a lot of practice for a lot of the questions. This could actually be a good thing, because I guess it teaches me a good lesson for next year. But do you think I would need to go back and do a lot of practice questions for the stuff in year 11 or just get right into Year 12 stuff?

Also, at my school they often suggest either keeping 12 units for the whole time or at least until about half way through. Doing 13, do you think this would be a good idea for me to keep both and see what I do better in, or just commit to one from the start? (assuming I keep ext math :oldrolleyes:

Thanks again for all your help

turtle67

HSC
Don't focus too much on scaling. Although yes it scales well, it won't turn a 50% into a band 6... instead you need to put work in consistently. You will also have the summer holidays to catch up if you've missed anything. Maybe wait till after prelims to decide which one you want to drop. I think you should stick to doing subjects you're willing to put in the work for, it doesn't matter which one is perceived as 'easier' per say. Modern does have a smaller workload but if you don't like it you might not end up putting the work in. Keep in mind also that w modern you basically get a fresh start in year 12, completely new content while in chem a lot of things are assumed knowledge for year 12 (I might just be biased towards modern ahah)
Yeah I see what you're saying, that is a good advantage for Modern :/. I'm definitely going to try work consistently throughout year 12. I think this year has been a good year to learn from my mistakes ahah

jojosiwa123

HSC
Yeah I see what you're saying, that is a good advantage for Modern :/. I'm definitely going to try work consistently throughout year 12. I think this year has been a good year to learn from my mistakes ahah
yeah definitely, year 11 is meant for you to make mistakes and learn lol, but don't worry you still have ages until hsc, plenty of time to build a study routine :)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Thanks a lot for all of your help.

I understand the concepts but I think it's just I haven't done a lot of practice for a lot of the questions. This could actually be a good thing, because I guess it teaches me a good lesson for next year. But do you think I would need to go back and do a lot of practice questions for the stuff in year 11 or just get right into Year 12 stuff?

Also, at my school they often suggest either keeping 12 units for the whole time or at least until about half way through. Doing 13, do you think this would be a good idea for me to keep both and see what I do better in, or just commit to one from the start? (assuming I keep ext math :oldrolleyes:

Thanks again for all your help
Just go straight into the Year 12 stuff and if you find areas that were from year 11 then you can go back and relearn them. If you're unsure then keep them for the Term 4 and then drop after one assessment task. I personally had 12 units and then dropped 1 straight away to 11 but because I knew for sure it wasn't going to contribute to my ATAR. given you are unsure which subject to drop probably best to wait so you don't make a decision you regret later

jojosiwa123

HSC
Just go straight into the Year 12 stuff and if you find areas that were from year 11 then you can go back and relearn them. If you're unsure then keep them for the Term 4 and then drop after one assessment task. I personally had 12 units and then dropped 1 straight away to 11 but because I knew for sure it wasn't going to contribute to my ATAR. given you are unsure which subject to drop probably best to wait so you don't make a decision you regret later
I agree w this, keep them for term 4 if you can, (I personally kept eco for about 4 weeks into term 4 until dropping it) although I know it can be hard w 13 units, it's better than wishing you kept one subject over the other later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)