What to do with $50 Co-Op bookshop vouchers (1 Viewer)

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I have two $25 Co-Op bookshop vouchers from school last year, what can I do with them?

They expire on 7/12/10, which is before the HSC results even come out, let alone uni offers...

Are there any textbooks that are essential - such as mathematics textbooks?
I may be taking comp sci at either UNSW or USyd.

I intend to get by with the minimal amount of textbooks, either scabbing through libraries or off friends, so I'm only looking for essentials. (I'm cheap :D)

Alternatively, is it possible to extend the expiry...or feel free to make an offer to buy them off me.

roookie

HSC
I have two $25 Co-Op bookshop vouchers from school last year, what can I do with them?

They expire on 7/12/10, which is before the HSC results even come out, let alone uni offers...

I intend to get by with the minimal amount of textbooks, either scabbing through libraries or off friends, so I'm only looking for essentials. (I'm cheap :D)

Alternatively, is it possible to extend the expiry...or feel free to make an offer to buy them off me.
how much do u want to sell for :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

You won't know which uni textbooks you will need until you attend your first few lectures. For example, I bought myself all the textbooks before I got to my first lecture and I am kind of regretting because I didn't need like 1-2 books...

And also, I know that you wish to get by with the minimal amount of textbooks but that's not necessarily good because there are textbooks that you will use like every day. I think with your coop vouchers, you might be better off selling it or do some serious research as to what textbook you really need for your uni degree and buy that.

mat2154

HSC
just before it expires, buy any book worth 50 bucks from the coop bookstore. return it unused within a week, and i'm pretty sure the credit from the refund will last at least another 12 months.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
You won't know which uni textbooks you will need until you attend your first few lectures. For example, I bought myself all the textbooks before I got to my first lecture and I am kind of regretting because I didn't need like 1-2 books...

And also, I know that you wish to get by with the minimal amount of textbooks but that's not necessarily good because there are textbooks that you will use like every day. I think with your coop vouchers, you might be better off selling it or do some serious research as to what textbook you really need for your uni degree and buy that.
Thanks for the advice, I will try to find out what I need. The problem with selling it is that I'm guessing I will lose a substantial proportion of that $50

just before it expires, buy any book worth 50 bucks from the coop bookstore. return it unused within a week, and i'm pretty sure the credit from the refund will last at least another 12 months.
Do you know if anyone has tried this?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

I may be taking comp sci at either UNSW or USyd
Even finding a textbook you would need for under $50 may be a hard task. Uni books have extremely high prices.

LordPc

HSC
Even finding a textbook you would need for under $50 may be a hard task. Uni books have extremely high prices.
its a bookshop, not a textbook shop. it had a bunch of fiction and non fiction books that are unrelated to uni

pman

Banned
HSC
you could always buy a novel or something...our unishop stocks heaps of them

EDIT: posted at same time as above

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
If it is over $50 I will spend extra money on it if I am going to buy it anyway - but I usually don't buy novels as I don't read most of them more than once.

Were there any textbooks that you found that you referred to a lot in your courses LordPC?

LordPc

HSC
If it is over $50 I will spend extra money on it if I am going to buy it anyway - but I usually don't buy novels as I don't read most of them more than once.

Were there any textbooks that you found that you referred to a lot in your courses LordPC?

not really. one of the great things about comp sci is that there are dozens of online tutorials about everything so google becomes your free universal textbook

there are some more well known books though. if you are going to learn C (which you will learn at unsw) the book "The C programming language" by K&R would be a good choice since the authors actually designed the language C themselves. my lecturer also raves about 'the art of computer programming' series by Knuth (who is a giant in computer science)

those would be good choices in general, but so far i havent absolutely needed any particular book to do well in any particular course

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
not really. one of the great things about comp sci is that there are dozens of online tutorials about everything so google becomes your free universal textbook

there are some more well known books though. if you are going to learn C (which you will learn at unsw) the book "The C programming language" by K&R would be a good choice since the authors actually designed the language C themselves. my lecturer also raves about 'the art of computer programming' series by Knuth (who is a giant in computer science)

those would be good choices in general, but so far i havent absolutely needed any particular book to do well in any particular course
Thanks for those suggestions, although:

Art Of Computer Programming Vols 1-3 (slipcase Edition) $249.95
C Programming Language $117.95 (vs $20 on textbookexchange)

I do not feel justified in spending that much on something easily found at libraries xD

Maybe I'll end up selling these after all

melodic_gal

HSC

you know you can buy other stuff like books, stationary, software etc
like that big one opposite Broadway shopping centre and down the road from uts corner of Harris st

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
you know you can buy other stuff like books, stationary, software etc
like that big one opposite Broadway shopping centre and down the road from uts corner of Harris st
I have browsed through those, but I have all the stationary/software I need - and I generally don't buy fiction because I only read most novels once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)