What to drop? (1 Viewer)

_zhangstaa

HSC
N/A
Hi
these are my subjects for the moment and i just dont' know which one to drop since im planning to pick up maths ext 2

2u bio (def keeping it)
2u esl
4u maths
2u foodtech (considering dropping, but im coming top of the class of 7 :haha:)
2u chem (considering dropping, im doing so so, but i hate it due to bad teachers. but then again, it scales pretty good)
2u pe (doing so so, got dominated by white ==', so considering dropping)

i know, i know. pretty stereotypical white subjects. out of chem, bio and foodtech, i like foodtech the most. just dnt know its worth keeping since it scales so bad, even lower than pe. chem is manageable but i just hate the subject. and pe, pe is just pe, its hard to top pe when you're asian and don't do any elite sports.

any ideas?:confused2::confused2::confused2:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

2u bio (def keeping it)
2u esl
4u maths
2u foodtech (considering dropping, but im coming top of the class of 7 :haha:)
2u chem (considering dropping, im doing so so, but i hate it due to bad teachers. but then again, it scales pretty good)
2u pe (doing so so, got dominated by white ==', so considering dropping)

Either:
- Drop the one you're worst in.
- Drop the one that is capped scaling/alignment.
- The subject that you hate.

It sounds like you wouldn't mind doing Chemistry with a good teacher, maybe a good textbook would help xD
Depending on how Food Technology scales, it would be a choice between PE and Food Technology. Can you give us the ranks for each of those subjects?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Have you considered continuing with them for another term? The reason why I suggest this is that often the HSC course is more to your liking than the Preliminary course. In addition you will have probably done the first assessment task for each course and will therefore have a better idea of exactly how you are feeling about these subjects. I know that many people will argue that doing the extra work for a term is a negative but dropping the wrong subject would be a bigger negative.

_zhangstaa

HSC
N/A
Have you considered continuing with them for another term? The reason why I suggest this is that often the HSC course is more to your liking than the Preliminary course. In addition you will have probably done the first assessment task for each course and will therefore have a better idea of exactly how you are feeling about these subjects. I know that many people will argue that doing the extra work for a term is a negative but dropping the wrong subject would be a bigger negative.
i have considered doing 14, but if that is the case, then i'm pretty sure my school won't let me take up 4u. so iuno. it's worth a trial, i agree. but it's up to the school as well, and timetable clashes.

It sounds like you wouldn't mind doing Chemistry with a good teacher, maybe a good textbook would help xD
Depending on how Food Technology scales, it would be a choice between PE and Food Technology. Can you give us the ranks for each of those subjects?
yeah, i go to private chem tutoring, and i understand the concepts. but i often stuff up long responses, like iuno what to talk abt and stuff. what textbook is good for chem you rkn? my school uses conquering chem, but its just confusing and doesnt include prac, so for prelim, i use cq with jacaranda and dotpoints. im doing pretty average for chem, abt top 10th-15th out of 40, but marks just keep fluctuating.
foodtech: i came 2nd out of 7 ppl, and there isnt a big gap between me and the girl who came first.
pe: im probs abt 10th out of 20.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I'd keep it for another term to be sure. It's a hard decision to make. I'm using Conquering Chemistry aswell and I think it's a good textbook but as you know, one mans junk could be another's treasure.

_zhangstaa

HSC
N/A
hmm, i really don't know. cause i have to drop something. i'm on trial run for 4u, cause my percentage for prelims aren't high enough, off by 1% =='
so i really need to make time for maths. i'm thinking dropping pe atm, but iuno. cause pe would be so relevant for dent and med

ramneeksingh

HSC
i'm thinking dropping pe atm, but iuno. cause pe would be so relevant for dent and med
im in year 10 atm, im planning on doing 14 units in year 12.
Im currently doing an acelerated maths ocurse (2 and 3 units math), im hoping to do dentistry when i leasve skool. When u reffered to 'dent' above, did u mean dentistry? becaue i haven't picked PE as a subject, ive chosen:
3 Maths
3 English
2 Bio
2 Chem
2 Business Studies
2 Economics
and im pretty sure PE isnt a pre-req for dentistry. i reccommend you drop PE if it isnt scaling, because if u dont get into ur desired coursse in med, then, chem is useful for other med courses. Sorry if im not of much help bro, im only inyea r10 ;) goodluck!

maymz

HSC
N/A
Hi, Im about to go into year 12 and dont know what to drop as well. I would drop the subject you dislike the most because you won't be as motivated to work as hard in it as the others. And it sounds as if you've given chemistry quite a trial, having gotten tutoring and everything, so its not as if you havnt given it a chance. The HSC will be stressful enough without having to do a subject you don't like...so id say drop chem.

My dilemma, is whether i should drop foodtech or ext english. I'm doing equally well in both, so thats not really a factor, but im just having a really hard time choosing which one and im also considering picking up ext2 maths.

any advice??

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Why the hell do you people all think that you MUST and HAVE TO drop a subject when you go into Year 12? It's stupid and idiotic. Seriously.

Most of the time, when you have to drop a subject - the reasons are simple, either: you suck at it, you hate it or you have timetable clashes or something like that. None of those is: "OMG I JUST GOT INTO YEAR 12 I HAVE TO DROP A SUBJECT FOR SOME REASON!!!!!1!!eleven!one!!1!!!"

Really, the only time you should ever ask what to drop is if you are in danger of dropping below 10 units if you follow the reasons above - or some other niche reason.

Last edited:

Corvid

HSC
N/A
^you speak with much conviction but forget that taking extra subjects might affect the performance of your remaining ones.

Well anyway to the original poster, I can't make your decision for you because I don't know all the facts about you. You just have to weigh all the factors and choose things to maximize your gains and minimise the unavoidable losses. Factors might include how much you like the subject, your motivation and passion for it, the score you receive in it (think in terms of atar instead of just rank because not all subjects are scaled equally), the time you have, the amount of effort you can expend, and uh that's all I can think of right now.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
^you speak with much conviction but forget that taking extra subjects might affect the performance of your remaining ones.

Well anyway to the original poster, I can't make your decision for you because I don't know all the facts about you. You just have to weigh all the factors and choose things to maximize your gains and minimise the unavoidable losses. Factors might include how much you like the subject, your motivation and passion for it, the score you receive in it (think in terms of atar instead of just rank because not all subjects are scaled equally), the time you have, the amount of effort you can expend, and uh that's all I can think of right now.
Might affect the performance of the remaining ones. Some people who make these threads assume taking extra subjects always affects the performance of the remaining ones. Which is not true.

raghusi

HSC
drop food-tech- as apparently the marks are capped. yr 12 chem gets wayy more interesting so i'd say keep it, esp if u wanna do med/dent! And keep PE as a back-up!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
drop food-tech- as apparently the marks are capped. yr 12 chem gets wayy more interesting so i'd say keep it, esp if u wanna do med/dent! And keep PE as a back-up!
Drop Food Tech because the marks are capped? What factually incorrect website did you pull that from?

_zhangstaa

HSC
N/A
im in year 10 atm, im planning on doing 14 units in year 12.
Im currently doing an acelerated maths ocurse (2 and 3 units math), im hoping to do dentistry when i leasve skool. When u reffered to 'dent' above, did u mean dentistry? becaue i haven't picked PE as a subject, ive chosen:
3 Maths
3 English
2 Bio
2 Chem
2 Business Studies
2 Economics
and im pretty sure PE isnt a pre-req for dentistry. i reccommend you drop PE if it isnt scaling, because if u dont get into ur desired coursse in med, then, chem is useful for other med courses. Sorry if im not of much help bro, im only inyea r10 goodluck!
yes by dent i meant dentistry. ive always wanted to do 14units in yr 12, up until like a few weeks ago, cause i just love all my subjects so much. but you have to be realistic here: you are going to struggle at one point or another and 14 units is just too hard on yourself, unless you are accelerated and can get some units done and out of the way before yr 12. think about umat and interview preps, n ur other extra community work (not saying that you have to do any, but dent and med really wants ppl to rant abt their charity work). i know pe isnt pre-req for dent or med. but my brother is in first yr dent and the stuff hes studying is very similar to yr 11 pe. he's a history/eco freak and just hates the idea of bio, and hes just struggling with dent.

Why the hell do you people all think that you MUST and HAVE TO drop a subject when you go into Year 12? It's stupid and idiotic. Seriously.

Most of the time, when you have to drop a subject - the reasons are simple, either: you suck at it, you hate it or you have timetable clashes or something like that. None of those is: "OMG I JUST GOT INTO YEAR 12 I HAVE TO DROP A SUBJECT FOR SOME REASON!!!!!1!!eleven!one!!1!!!"

Really, the only time you should ever ask what to drop is if you are in danger of dropping below 10 units if you follow the reasons above - or some other niche reason.
wow. have you not read my post? i'm only dropping so that i'm left with 12 units, and my reason for dropping is a sensible one, so i can take up ext 2. if you're just gonna give me nasty advice then please, keep it to yourself.

Hi, Im about to go into year 12 and dont know what to drop as well. I would drop the subject you dislike the most because you won't be as motivated to work as hard in it as the others. And it sounds as if you've given chemistry quite a trial, having gotten tutoring and everything, so its not as if you havnt given it a chance. The HSC will be stressful enough without having to do a subject you don't like...so id say drop chem.

My dilemma, is whether i should drop foodtech or ext english. I'm doing equally well in both, so thats not really a factor, but im just having a really hard time choosing which one and im also considering picking up ext2 maths.

any advice??
my advice to you is to have a look into the foodtech hsc course, like me (I'm already making notes for the first core). hsc foodtech is nothing like prelim, its not abt nutrients and fun stuff anymore, just abt laws and the australian food industry. there's also an option of nutrients, which you study abt nutrition-related diseases, which i think is the most interesting thing in the whole course.

for english ext1, i'm not so sure. yes it does scale better. but then maths 3u scales just as good as english 3u. and maths 4u def scales better. and thank you for your lovely advice abt dropping chem. i was going to drop it, but have decided not to, as the hsc course doesnt seem that bad. just do what you really like and pick the right ones, and remember to take scaling in consideration as well.

raghusi

HSC
Drop Food Tech because the marks are capped? What factually incorrect website did you pull that from?
srsly <shadowdude> and <corvid> don't judge people if u don't have proof!!! hospo has poor scaling- check the scaling pdf at uac- the scaled mark is lowwer than a subject like advanced english, bio, chem, etc where u can get a scaled mark of 50/50. Lmao at calling UAC an incorrect website!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
srsly <shadowdude> and <corvid> don't judge people if u don't have proof!!! hospo has poor scaling- check the scaling pdf at uac- the scaled mark is lowwer than a subject like advanced english, bio, chem, etc where u can get a scaled mark of 50/50. Lmao at calling UAC an incorrect website!
UAC is a great source...if you can interpret the information correctly.

You just suck at interpreting the information, drawing fallacious conclusions.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
wow. have you not read my post? i'm only dropping so that i'm left with 12 units, and my reason for dropping is a sensible one, so i can take up ext 2. if you're just gonna give me nasty advice then please, keep it to yourself.
I read your post. You dropping something just so you have a certain number of units, to me, is stupid. You can take Extension 2 without dropping anything.

You're only disadvantaging yourself if you drop something for the sole reason "so I have x number of units" and not a better reason like "i suck at it" or "i dont like the subject".

/me sighs

You obviously have zero idea on how the system works. The UAC doesn't pick certain subjects and say "Okay, we'll just cap these subjects" - capping subjects occurs naturally during the process of scaling.

Don't read the tables. Read the explanations - and you'll find out that you're the one who's incorrect.

And I quote:

"The maximum possible scaled mark in a course was given by the smaller of 50 and the scaled mean + [some number] times the initial scaled standard deviation..."

LOLOLOL YOU'RE WRONG.

That's from the report on the scaling of the Higher School Certificate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)