What would this 2unit rank and mark be moderated to???? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Can you get marked down in 2 unit math exam for not using a ruler or not labeling...

Can you get marked down in 2 unit math exam for not using a ruler? or not labeling the x and y axis when sketching? or not putting units squared or units cubed?????

Capt Rifle

HSC
Re: Can you get marked down in 2 unit math exam for not using a ruler or not labeling

yes you can it has happened to me and i will never forget the name of the teacher who marked me down.

ahdil33

HSC
Re: Can you get marked down in 2 unit math exam for not using a ruler or not labeling

By a teacher who knows what they're doing, a HSC marker? No.

But by some moron? Yeah.

I never used a ruler, labelled my axis, etc, and my sketches were always fine. But I've always had a thing for never forgetting units. I always try and put u if there's nothing else

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

You don't need a ruler in maths - only science.

brianphamm

HSC

You don't need to use a ruler, but it is recommended, and also a pencil should be handy to make it 'neat'. But always label your x and y axis, and always include units. They are very important. Better to be safe than sorry..

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Does anyone have a more direct exact non biased answer?

Peeik

HSC

Just use a ruler to be safe. It doesnt cost much and it doesnt take THAT long to draw lines with it. Plus you get a neater diagram.

But i dont think you will be penalised unless your diagram is impossible to read.

cheepy5

HSC

Label Axis yes.
Ruler not sure

2xL

HSC

Fuck taking the risk. Doesn't take that long to rule up a pair of axes.

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A

By a teacher who knows what they're doing, a HSC marker? No.

But by some moron? Yeah.

I never used a ruler, labelled my axis, etc, and my sketches were always fine. But I've always had a thing for never forgetting units. I always try and put u if there's nothing else
Either write "units" or don't write anything at all.

Introducing this "u" out of no where will probably get you marked down.

The marker doesn't know if this "u" stands for "units" or if it is some unknown/variable you have introduced out of no where.

If it asks for area or volume, then you can use u^2 or u^3 respectively. If the questions ask for a one dimensional answer, e.g. length, don't just add in a "u" at the end and expect the marker to know what you mean.

Last edited:

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A

A very important thing is the label the y and x axis

brianphamm

HSC

Does anyone have a more direct exact non biased answer?
We don't know, we never see our papers and so don't know where we've been marked down.. Just do everything. It's good exam technique anyway.

iBibah

HSC

Maybe read notes from the marking centre for various years regarding graphing questions and see what the general rules are.

shravan_872

HSC
Uni Grad

you dont need a ruler, so long as it looks like the graph its ok.
Though, when it comes to labelling, I have always labelled the graph, stationary points, inflexions, intercepts, y and x axis and the origin. why take the chance? If you get a really strict teacher like I've had they are gonna take marks off and if you're gonna do it make sure you do it right!

Caboufram

HSC
N/A

Lol i lost 6 marks in my trial, 2 for not labeling x and y, 1 for not having the "approximation" symbol for trapezoidal rule, i instead did "->" as in, leads to. Two for having the answer as "-2lnx" instead of "ln1/x^2" and one for saying "displacement" as oppose to "distance" in an explanation. According to the teacher, the marking criteria specified "distance". lololol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)