Whats so good about med? (1 Viewer)

donthaveaname

HSC
N/A
everyone seems to want to do med, but i just don't see whats so good about it.
you have to spend so many years in uni, not to mention the years that you have to spend working in the hospital.

so why does everyone seem to want to do it?

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
oh come on think a little wouldja?

1. money
2. prestige
3. something to gun for if you're a crazy 99+ overachiever
4. the human body is pretty interesting
5. guaranteed work
6. ability to work anywhere
7. helping people...yeah, this is the bottom of the list

Tim035

HSC

1. money
2. prestige
5. guaranteed work
QFT. And in that order, most of my friends in med bullsh*&ed a lot in the interview about helping people and things they've done in the community. Money and Prestige whether consciously or subconsciously is why.

m1tch37

HSC
Maybe its just my POV, but wouldn't you agree Finance is a more lucrative industry? Sure, there is quite a lot of hate floating about right now, but personally I see a lot more appeal in that than medicine. (If were talking about which job will make you the most powerful)

undalay

HSC
Maybe its just my POV, but wouldn't you agree Finance is a more lucrative industry? Sure, there is quite a lot of hate floating about right now, but personally I see a lot more appeal in that than medicine. (If were talking about which job will make you the most powerful)
Difference:
You get through med school = 100% sure recession proof high paying job

Finance = compete with millions of finance students, etc etc etc.

donthaveaname

HSC
N/A
QFT. And in that order, most of my friends in med bullsh*&ed a lot in the interview about helping people and things they've done in the community. Money and Prestige whether consciously or subconsciously is why.

what kind of questions do they ask at the interview?

jono1887

HSC

1. money
2. prestige
5. guaranteed work
1. The money isnt that great... its actually on PAR with finance, lawyers ect if you take into account the hours. Graduate med kids may have a higher starting out salary (60k compared to 45k) but they work ~50hours + a week. Once your an established surgeon, you income is generally capped at 500k unless your brilliant and charge through the roof because people are willing to pay.
(some hedge funds and trading firms have starting salaries of 100-500k for graduates)

2. Prestige - i personally think this was a thing of the past. The prestige that was once associated with doctors is now long gone.

3. sure, i guess this is a reason... but it shouldnt be. The only reason why im in med now is bcz i got over 99 and parents made me. Wishing I got 97 or something lower now so i wouldnt have to do med just because i can.

4. thats relative - whats interesting to some isnt interesting to all...

5. This is probably the only real upside to med. But then again, I hear theres an oversupply of interns so it will be competitive to get into good hospitals. But you will always have a job, even if its out in the middle of no where!

6. True, but same with trading... just need a computer and wham, instant money :p

7. Hmm... do we really want to help people?? im guessing 20% of applicants enter for this...
the rest assume there is a prestige and money in the med profession which is what i have picked up from other med students which is definitely not there!

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
alright, alright, i was semi-kidding. obviously it's tough, you get treated like dirt, work at the equivalent of $10/hr, get sued, have huge debts and zero non-med friends.
it was just a list. a list.

jono1887

HSC
alright, alright, i was semi-kidding. obviously it's tough, you get treated like dirt, work at the equivalent of $10/hr, get sued, have huge debts and zero non-med friends.
it was just a list. a list.
lol, i wasnt attacking you or anything... just annoyed that parents are making stick with my med degree because of those exact reasons and im really pissed of atm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)