What's so great about USYD law? (1 Viewer)

NewiJapper

HSC
Seriously? I don't understand. Why does it have so much prestige?

At newcastle law school, they consistently beat USYD graduates in getting jobs at the top sydney law firms because we are a heavily practical and clinical law school.

Should I bother trying to have no social life for a year to get a good GPA to transfer? Or just stay in newiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii brah?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sydney is good historically, but recently - frankly, it's horrible. See: Good Uni Guide.

Stay at "UNCLE" (I believe it is called). Good Uni Guide is undecided - as some data is missing from Newcastle's entry. Though from what I gather, Newcastle is very similar to Sydney.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
usyd law has prestige, prestige attracts good students and teachers

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
ages ago, sydney was the only (correct me if I am wrong) law school people could go to.. so naturally, it would have a long history.
The prestige of Sydney law school today lies on the history of its law faculty

and yes, like others, I think Sydney Law School is overrated

gesh17

HSC
N/A
usyd law has prestige, prestige attracts good students and teachers
This.

The really significant thing that the top universities like USyd and UNSW have going for them are the elite undergraduate students they have. I.e. More competition = More Improvement.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
This.

The really significant thing that the top universities like USyd and UNSW have going for them are the elite undergraduate students they have. I.e. More competition = More Improvement.
or more competition = no university medal

HSC
Seriously? I don't understand. Why does it have so much prestige?

At newcastle law school, they consistently beat USYD graduates in getting jobs at the top sydney law firms because we are a heavily practical and clinical law school.
Should I bother trying to have no social life for a year to get a good GPA to transfer? Or just stay in newiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii brah?
source please?

izzy88

HSC
i think we need a source...and not that usyd law doesn't have issues, however I am working at a 'top' law firm in sydney (as a paralegal), and it appears to me that most of the people working with me, and those going to be starting as grads on monday, are from unsw and usyd. There are also some from MQ, ANU and Notre Dame, but it does seem usyd and unsw are definitely in the majority.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
How many law kids do you have in your cohort? USyd has about 180-200 per cohort.

Existential

HSC
N/A
SO in the most objective way you can, what do you think is the best law school in terms of getting jobs in top sydney firms? (this question is directed at anyone with uni experience/knowledge)

X

xeuyrawp

I don't know their names but our Dean provided us with the stats yesterday at orientation.
Nobody wants their names; we want some sort of empirical data which substantiates those claims. I'm sorry to be a dick, but I would think it's false, if only for the reason that I think it's unlikely that a law school in a low-ranked rural university would have better graduate placings than a prestigious university within the city where there are the jobs in question.

HSC
Maybe consistently was the wrong word to use there...
no...i dont think uncle ever will...

and aereth....i think we have about 220-230 this year..

ps: if u dont think its that great..dont come..

edit: i dont think u can come anyway..even with high d average..
if you check the transfers page of this site..you needed 97.5 NRSL..
since u got 93.7 ATAR..this wold mean u would need something above 100 for your tertiary work..
and the maximum you can get for first year is 98?

although i could be completely wrong..

Last edited:

NewiJapper

HSC
I've read on this site that they take either your ATAR+GPA or just your GPA.

Never say never :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)